Advanced IoT Bridge Interface

MustangChris04

On 11/30/2019 at 5:20 PM, Bumbershoot said:

Does this mean that this new PLM can power the ISY?

Yes it will. The ISY994i has a diode on both the DC Input Jack and the power pin in the serial port connector. Used by the older 2412S that could supply a unregulated +12 volts. If you power it with a wall wart and there is DC on the serial port power input pin. The higher of the two voltage will power the ISY994i. Now if both a wall wart and the new PLM are both very close to each other in voltage. Not sure how that would work out.

On 12/1/2019 at 3:07 PM, hbsh01 said:

Wow, so finally my brother in Europe, who has been jealous of me all along, will be able to use an ISY.

From the internal photos of the unit. It looks like the AC power connection plug is on a separate assembly. That should make it easier to sell in other countries. As the power supply is now has a universal power input. All they would have to do is also change the Insteon RF frequency to the one allowed in the country and get that countries safety standards meet and probably a recycle method they require given to the users.

8 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

Maybe we’re on different firmware versions?  I’m on 5.0.16A.

Guess so.. I'm on 4.7.3 so it could be that. I am using the 2842-222 MS also.. Not sure if that makes a difference. I always understood once you put a MS in a scene there was no way to prevent the direct links but I'm very willing to keep at this. It works so well and instant with them in a scene just can't keep it from turning on when I don't want them to. Thanks!

1 hour ago, sdynak said:

Guess so.. I'm on 4.7.3 so it could be that. I am using the 2842-222 MS also.

UDI made significant changes to the "Adjust Scene" functionality way back in the alpha process (firmware 5.0.9, I think), significant enough so that all your programs that use it in the 4.x.x series will break during the upgrade.  I currently use the functionality with the 2842-222, so it works just fine with those motion sensors.

The 5.x.x series firmware is in release candidate status now.  There will be one more release this week apparently to fix functionality related to Insteon leak sensors, but the firmware is otherwise very usable.  IMHO, the feature upgrades far outweigh the effort it takes.

44 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

UDI made significant changes to the "Adjust Scene" functionality way back in the alpha process (firmware 5.0.9, I think), significant enough so that all your programs that use it in the 4.x.x series will break during the upgrade.  I currently use the functionality with the 2842-222, so it works just fine with those motion sensors.

The 5.x.x series firmware is in release candidate status now.  There will be one more release this week apparently to fix functionality related to Insteon leak sensors, but the firmware is otherwise very usable.  IMHO, the feature upgrades far outweigh the effort it takes.

I was just reading over the latest beta with the recent comments about the leak sensors. I assume 5.x.x will eventually be pushed out and it looks like possible soon but if this will in fact allow scenes to be controlled how I am looking to do it I agree it is worth doing. I know my wife will appreciate it. She is the one up early coming downstairs and the lights delay sometimes. I'll work on it and update. Thanks again!

• Increased powerline transmitting signaling levels and robustness
• New RF circuit with higher sensitivity components and calibrated antenna circuit

I am most interested in having the above statements quantified. Hopefully when  the full blown users Guide becomes available.

Increased signal line levels could be very helpful for some networks struggling with attenuated signal levels.  

Especially good if "robustness" could include improved simulcasting.

1 hour ago, ELA said:

• Increased powerline transmitting signaling levels and robustness
• New RF circuit with higher sensitivity components and calibrated antenna circuit

I am most interested in having the above statements quantified. Hopefully when  the full blown users Guide becomes available.

Increased signal line levels could be very helpful for some networks struggling with attenuated signal levels.  

Especially good if "robustness" could include improved simulcasting.

It's only helpful for commands coming from the isy. All devices would need the same updates to truly make a difference

On 12/15/2019 at 8:44 AM, lilyoyo1 said:

It's only helpful for commands coming from the isy. All devices would need the same updates to truly make a difference

Would not most ISY owners consider signals originating from it among the most important?   Depends upon how a person would evaluate what "truly make a difference" means.

A single noise generator or signal sucker on a network can truly make a difference in a negative way.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:22 PM, Bumbershoot said:

Maybe we’re on different firmware versions?  I’m on 5.0.16A.

I went ahead and updated to 5.0.16A and I only see for MS options under Devices for a program to Query, Beep or Write Changes..

How did you get to the options to set "To Off, No Retries"?

I think I'm missing something simple :)

Thanks..

8 hours ago, ELA said:

Would not most ISY owners consider signals originating from it among the most important?   Depends upon how a person would evaluate what "truly make a difference" means.

A single noise generator or signal sucker on a network can truly make a difference in a negative way.

Yes for programs telling devices to turn on/off such as timers. Device to device communication would still be at the device level as would acknowledgements back to the isy. None of which would be improved. 

2 hours ago, sdynak said:

I went ahead and updated to 5.0.16A

That's a good move, right there.

How did you get to the options to set "To Off, No Retries"?

That's for a SwitchLinc On/Off controlled by a Motion Sensor II, and you get to this from "Adjust Scene" in the "Then" stanza of your program (see first screenshot):

The second screenshot shows the program that adjusts of "On-Level" for SwitchLinc Dimmers controlled by an original motion sensor, where the "On-Level" is adjusted by a program that uses a schedule (as you can see, this is a 4-way scene):

The third screenshot shows what the scene looks like after the "Then" stanza in the controlling program (screenshot two) has run:

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 5.24.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 5.19.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 5.38.40 AM.png

3 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

That's for a SwitchLinc On/Off controlled by a Motion Sensor II, and you get to this from "Adjust Scene" in the "Then" stanza of your program (see first screenshot):

The second screenshot shows the program that adjusts of "On-Level" for SwitchLinc Dimmers controlled by an original motion sensor, where the "On-Level" is adjusted by a program that uses a schedule (as you can see, this is a 4-way scene):

The third screenshot shows what the scene looks like after the "Then" stanza in the controlling program (screenshot two) has run:

This is outstanding detail! I'll go through and give things a shot and update :)! I can't say enough thank you's for your help!

11 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

Ok.. so it looks like I am making progress but when the program runs it is not able to write to the Gen 1 motion sensors and spends a lot of time being "Busy" until things time out. My concern is this could cause delays with other programs if triggered. Otherwise I think I am understanding the concept and getting it working. I have 3 motion sensors in my stairway to control this scene. Do I need the 2nd Gen MS to get the real time program updates and prevent the "Busy" status?

Thank you!

13 hours ago, sdynak said:

Do I need the 2nd Gen MS to get the real time program updates and prevent the "Busy" status?

You know, I think you only need to turn off automatic writes to battery powered devices, but that might take the Pro version of the ISY to get it (last icon on the right in the toolbar).  There's a thread somewhere on this forum (I can't find it at the moment) where UDI indicates that with the revised "Adjust Scene" functionality, there's no more need to write to the battery powered scene controller, so it will be eliminated from a future firmware release.  In the meantime, you can shut the battery powered writes off using REST:

http://<ISY IP ADDRESS>/rest/batteryPoweredWrites/off

I put this into a network resource and wrote a program upon startup that calls the network resource.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.52.23 AM.png

1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

You know, I think you only need to turn off automatic writes to battery powered devices, but that might take the Pro version of the ISY to get it (last icon on the right in the toolbar).  There's a thread somewhere on this forum (I can't find it at the moment) where UDI indicates that with the revised "Adjust Scene" functionality, there's no more need to write to the battery powered scene controller, so it will be eliminated from a future firmware release.  In the meantime, you can shut the battery powered writes off using REST:

I put this into a network resource and wrote a program upon startup that calls the network resource.

You are just amazing.. I saw some information about disabling automatic updates to battery powered devices and looked everywhere but could not find the options and searching was not giving good results. 

Now it makes sense if it is in the Pro version. I am not running that mainly because I don't have a requirement from a node standpoint. 

The Automatic updates for sure are still working with "Adjust Scene' in 5.0.16A for me but now I have some options and understand better thanks to you!! With 3 MS in this scene it is attempting to write for like 3-4 minutes. 

Hopefully this is disabled in future updates but the feature to Adjust is working just as you described. Solved my delays and ability to put a timer on a scene :)! Hats off to you. 

1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

Is it possible the Rest command will only work with the PRO version? I sent the command and get the below response then ran the program and it still tried to update the MS. So close to perfection :)

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<RestResponse succeeded="false">
<status>404</status>
</RestResponse>

Is it possible the Rest command will only work with the PRO version? I sent the command and get the below response then ran the program and it still tried to update the MS. So close to perfection :)

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<RestResponse succeeded="false">
<status>404</status>
</RestResponse>

That, I don't know.  I've only owned the Pro version.

I am not running that mainly because I don't have a requirement from a node standpoint. 

You might want to give this a little thought.  The new PLM (that this thread is actually about) supports 4000 Insteon links, and you may find that all the various devices that Polyglot and NodeLink nodeservers give you access to, your node requirements might begin to grow.  Along with the number of programs you may need...

6 minutes ago, sdynak said:

Thanks again for all your help.

You're welcome, of course.  Glad to have helped. 

1 minute ago, Bumbershoot said:

You might want to give this a little thought.  The new PLM (that this thread is actually about) supports 4000 Insteon links, and you may find that all the various devices that Polyglot and NodeLink nodeservers give you access to, your node requirements might begin to grow.  Along with the number of programs you may need...

You're welcome, of course.  Glad to have helped. 

I am looking into this.. I recall this was an option at one point to upgrade but no longer see it under purchase modules in my account. I'll find out. 

2 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

In any event, the REST command for 'batteryPoweredWrites' is apparently a PRO version thing;

http://192.168.1.20/rest/batteryPoweredWrites/off

<RestResponse succeeded="true">
<status>200</status>
</RestResponse>

Makes sense.. I submitted a ticket about the upgrade option. 

32 minutes ago, sdynak said:

I submitted a ticket about the upgrade option. 

Sorry about leading you down a path that requires you to spend some $$$ with UDI.  That wasn't the intent, but I don't know how else to get you to where you want to be with this.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:02 AM, sdynak said:

I know my wife will appreciate it. She is the one up early coming downstairs and the lights delay sometimes.

In my installation, this is what matters, so I'll *guess* that the expense is worth it. ?  At least you're up-to-date on firmware, which you'll grow to appreciate as you build out your system.

Archived