NodeServers that don't work on Polisy

TexMike

Please post experiences here to save others time and trouble. Perhaps there should be a separate store for Polisy with only NodeServers that work. My experience so far:

Presence-Poly won't install, no Bluetooth yet on Polisy. Would still be useful for LAN detection if it would install.

Kasa won't discover  because Polisy can't do network broadcast. Not a big deal for me, just have a few bulbs and plugs in the kids rooms so they can control with Alexa and keep them separated from each other and the main ISY system.

FYI, Woot has 2nd Gen Rachio for $85 today. It's been on my wish list and soon I'll be trying NodeServer for it.

Since Presence-Poly doesn't currently work, thought I would give Ping a try. Set up a couple of internal IP's and used google.com for external. All show as offline in AC. I know just enough about UNIX to be slightly dangerous so I ssh'd into Polisy and did successful pings to all three. Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but again it would be nice to know which nodeservers actually work on Polisy.

Couldn't stop Ping nodeserver, so I deleted it.

Log snippet below:

2019-12-29 00:25:03,903 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Subscribing to topic: udi/polyglot/connections/polyglot - MID: 1337 Result: 0

2019-12-29 00:25:03,905 [Interface ] [INFO ] Sent Connected message to Polyglot

2019-12-29 00:25:05,009 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Connected with result code 0 (Success)

2019-12-29 00:25:05,011 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Subscribing to topic: udi/polyglot/ns/3 - MID: 1366 Result: 0

2019-12-29 00:25:05,012 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Subscribing to topic: udi/polyglot/connections/polyglot - MID: 1367 Result: 0

2019-12-29 00:25:05,012 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Unexpected disconnection. Trying reconnect.

2019-12-29 00:25:05,013 [Interface ] [INFO ] Sent Connected message to Polyglot

2019-12-29 00:25:06,161 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Connected with result code 0 (Success)

2019-12-29 00:25:06,164 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Subscribing to topic: udi/polyglot/ns/3 - MID: 1339 Result: 0

2019-12-29 00:25:06,165 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Subscribing to topic: udi/polyglot/connections/polyglot - MID: 1340 Result: 0

2019-12-29 00:25:06,164 [Interface ] [INFO ] MQTT Unexpected disconnection. Trying reconnect.

I had exactly the same experience as @TexMike with the Ping nodeserver and two nodes configured.

Worse, after deleting the Ping nodeserver, I had a constant stream of MQTT client connected / MQTT unespected disconnection lines in the Polyglot log. These messages only stopped when I restarted Polisy.

FYI @markv58

Thanks @Jimbo, much of that discussion ( at https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/28125-polyglot-ping-node-server-problem) seems to revolve around an actual network connectivity issue between the rpi-based nodeserver and some unreachable network destination.

This thread is dealing with nodeservers that don't currently work with Polisy.

In my case I have a solid continuous ping from my Polisy (via ssh) to my Default Gateway (< 1ms each ping). While this is going on, ISY is showing a Host Status (via the Ping NS) alternating between "Off Network" and "In Fault." (wrong)

I added a second ping to my phone from Polisy ( <50ms solid ping). I then added this node to the Ping nodeserver.  Now, ISY shows the the phone as being On Network (correct) but the Default Gateway as being Off Network (still wrong). 

But was the phone status reported really true? To test this,  I turned off the Phone. Pings from Polisy failed immediately. After 5 minutes though, ISY, via the Ping nodeserver is still reporting the phone as being On Network (wrong). 

And now, the Polyglot log is quickly filling with a constant stream of MQTT connect / disconnect messages.

This Ping nodeserver may have issues when encountering unreachable destinations when used with rpi but also currently doesn't seem to work at all with Polisy

Ping_logs_2019-12-30_111544.zip

Well I have figured out the problem with the Ping nodeserver on Polisy and have it working. It's a path issue. On the RPi the path to ping is /bin on Polisy it's /sbin.

Now to figure that one out. Happy New Year!

@Jimbo Any clue?

1 hour ago, markv58 said:

Well I have figured out the problem with the Ping nodeserver on Polisy and have it working. It's a path issue. On the RPi the path to ping is /bin on Polisy it's /sbin.

Now to figure that one out. Happy New Year!

@Jimbo Any clue?

There are more than a couple of Python modules that deal with Ping in a more direct way than doing an os exec

6 minutes ago, simplextech said:

There are more than a couple of Python modules that deal with Ping in a more direct way than doing an os exec

That may be the way to go, I'm looking. Needs to be cross platform, rpi - polisy. I'll play with it today.

Archived