Multiple Voices

slimypizza

New Alexa user here and I’m enjoying setting things up.  There’s much I don’t know about Alexa’s capabilities but I wonder about the voice recognition.  I know Alexa can differentiate between learned voices but what does that afford end users?  For example, can my wife or I say “Alexa Turn on Bedroom light” and have it turn on the nightstand lamps on either side of the bed depending on who issued the command?  The same thing would apply to “Alexa Open Garage Door” and expect the correct door to open.

New Alexa user here and I’m enjoying setting things up.  There’s much I don’t know about Alexa’s capabilities but I wonder about the voice recognition.  I know Alexa can differentiate between learned voices but what does that afford end users?  For example, can my wife or I say “Alexa Turn on Bedroom light” and have it turn on the nightstand lamps on either side of the bed depending on who issued the command?  The same thing would apply to “Alexa Open Garage Door” and expect the correct door to open.
I tried it dumped it. Amazon, like google wants to know each person's habits, including your purchasing habits.

Using it as one person is not a problem with some clever thinking about keeping things uniform while keeping a simple style worhoutvrememberibg a hundred different quirks.

Everything in my house is turn on xxxx or turn off xxxx and I still can't remember how to rotate the xmas scene lighting without looking it up at times.

Sent using Tapatalk

I tried the voice recognition, it does nothing for differentiating commands from different people.  Most I have had it do is now and then address me by my name when responding to a command, i.e. OK, Have a nice day Tom.  I am sure way down the road they have some AI ideas for it, but as of now its not a big deal.  Naming in the bedroom I try to keep devices that are on my side named Toms Light, Toms Lamp, etc.  My wife's side Barbi's Ligh,t Barbis Lamp etc.  Shared items Our Light, is bedroom ceiling fan light, Our fan is bedroom ceiling fan, Our TV is bedroom tv etc. Lighting in Living room is End Table, Sofa Table, Floor Lamp, etc.  Tried to make it simple and the wife uses it fairly well, without much trouble or complaining.

Archived