Using a Keypad Link as an alarm code entry (or an ISY as a DIY Alarm/Security System)?

Derek Atkins

@lilyoyo1 I understand.  I do know the risks.  And the threats.  And the legal landscape of my locality.  And the neighborhood.  And the geography and topography around my house.  I've done lots of research which led me to where I am today.

@Javi Cool beans.  I'll go take a look (on my android phone if nowhere else).  I've also considered using Home Assistant.  I do admit that I have not completely thought through the UI portions of my smarthome systems.

@larryllix Thanks.  I like that concept, and it's definitely simpler than other examples I've seen.   Would you consider a "toggle off" as well to turn off the keypad light after you push the button? Also, what does your Armed Mode Toggle program look like?  Do you have Home vs Away modes?  How about a delayed entry on certain doors?

@wintermute -- thanks.  I've seen similar mounts.  I'll look at those too.

@TrojanHorse -- I've got all my computer and networking systems on UPS.  I also plan to install a standby generator if we do have outages.  But you're right, that is one failure mode of using Insteon.  The wireless sensors might not reach the ISY in the face of a power outage.

Thanks all!  *THIS* is the kind of conversation I was hoping to see on this forum!

Question here for those that use Insteon for security. Are there ways to protect against a power outage (other than standby generator) that would allow signals from the sensors to reliably communicate with the ISY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Insteon protocol relies on the AC signal to make the protocol work.

Sent using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, TrojanHorse said:

Question here for those that use Insteon for security. Are there ways to protect against a power outage (other than standby generator) that would allow signals from the sensors to reliably communicate with the ISY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few Insteon Open Close and motion sensors but have converted most of the main entries to zwave.  As I convert more sensors to zwave the insteon sensors are being placed on closet doors to trigger lights. My ISY (not the PLM), all networking equipment, and CCTV are on a UPS. 

58 minutes ago, Derek Atkins said:

@Javi Cool beans.  I'll go take a look (on my android phone if nowhere else).  I've also considered using Home Assistant.  I do admit that I have not completely thought through the UI portions of my smarthome systems.

I tried to document most of the features but I may have missed some things.   The chime feature which can use tts to speak when a door opens may help you with the chimes you mentioned in the first post.  It will also prevent you from arming if a sensor such as a door/window is violated (this can be disabled for motion sensors) and show you which sensor is violated.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Javier

1 hour ago, Derek Atkins said:

<snippage>

@larryllix Thanks.  I like that concept, and it's definitely simpler than other examples I've seen.   Would you consider a "toggle off" as well to turn off the keypad light after you push the button? Also, what does your Armed Mode Toggle program look like?  Do you have Home vs Away modes?  How about a delayed entry on certain doors?

<snippage>

Thanks all!  *THIS* is the kind of conversation I was hoping to see on this forum!

I use several variables. Vacations and Not Occupied are different needs. After years of experimenting, Vacation is now based on my ecobee thermostat schedule. I just clone the vacation schedule of the stat. Basically Vacation is mostly for mechanical things and how I get contacted, while Occupied is about security against entry.

1450260468_ISYHousevariables.thumb.jpg.d4240836b215da4559e04f02a18fd89f.jpg

Entry is only allowed from one angle/room and causes a beeping timer warning.

Armed Mode Toggle - [ID 00AB][Parent 003E][Not Enabled]

If
        $sHouse.armed is $cFALSE
    And Program 'Armed Mode Toggle' is False

Then
        Set 'Mudroom / MudRm Beeper' On
        Wait  30 seconds
        Set 'Mudroom / MudRm Beeper' Off
        $sHouse.armed Init To $cTRUE
        $sHouse.armed  = $cTRUE
        $Armed.off.window  = $cFALSE

Else
        Set 'Mudroom / MudRm Beeper' Off
        $sHouse.armed Init To $cFALSE
        $sHouse.armed  = $cFALSE
        $Armed.off.window  = $cFALSE

Do not enable! May oscillate from negatve feedback.

Since I have a lot of Insteon interference at that end (KPL) of the house.... (I have two garage door openers close to that circuit, as well as two 3.6kW inverters just underneath the KPL, that cause intermittent response times or occasional retrying needed many times)…..

I have just recently added vocal commands for my security system, to turn it on and off.  (Here comes the freaking out  again! :) )
Alexa...turn on security/alarm system

To turn it off a two step process is needed.
Alexa...turn off alarm/security system
This opens a time window where you have x seconds to issue another Alexa  command. If heard outside the "Circle of trust" .....Meet the Fockers :), you may have to change the device name again, same as any other numeric combination.

Archived