Some very basic polyglot questions

madcodger

With the end of the Climate module approaching, I want to try to use polyglot to connect my Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station to my ISY. To do that, it looks like I need to learn to use polyglot. So, some very basic questions, please (and please forgive my ignorance on this topic):

1) While I may one day move to Polisy, I'd like to get my feet wet by just using a Raspberry Pi. I already have a RPi running at this location that does nothing but run CumulusMX, connected to the Davis Pro 2. It works flawlessly, month after month, reporting to Weather Underground. I'd like to keep that system stable, but that brings up a question: Should I load Polyglot onto this same RPi, OR should I set up a separate RPI that does nothing but run Polyglot?

2) Similarly, where do I load the weather nodeserver? Onto the same RPi that runs CumulusMX? Or onto the one that runs polyglot? Or onto a third RPi?

3) I will be installing a second ISY at this location, in a different building (separate Z-wave network), but onto the same LAN as the original ISY. Can I share a single polyglot RPi across these two ISYs, so that they both take advantage of the weather information?

4) Finally, Wes has me pretty well convinced to move to Mobilinc Connect so that I can take advantage of Mobilinc X and some of the features that offers. I realize I don't be able to use Polyglot Cloud because of that, but are there any other things that I'll lose (that aren't replaced by Mobilinc Connect) if I am running polyglot locally, on one or more RPis?

Thanks for any help and advice on this.

57 minutes ago, madcodger said:

With the end of the Climate module approaching, I want to try to use polyglot to connect my Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station to my ISY. To do that, it looks like I need to learn to use polyglot. So, some very basic questions, please (and please forgive my ignorance on this topic):

1) While I may one day move to Polisy, I'd like to get my feet wet by just using a Raspberry Pi. I already have a RPi running at this location that does nothing but run CumulusMX, connected to the Davis Pro 2. It works flawlessly, month after month, reporting to Weather Underground. I'd like to keep that system stable, but that brings up a question: Should I load Polyglot onto this same RPi, OR should I set up a separate RPI that does nothing but run Polyglot?

2) Similarly, where do I load the weather nodeserver? Onto the same RPi that runs CumulusMX? Or onto the one that runs polyglot? Or onto a third RPi?

3) I will be installing a second ISY at this location, in a different building (separate Z-wave network), but onto the same LAN as the original ISY. Can I share a single polyglot RPi across these two ISYs, so that they both take advantage of the weather information?

4) Finally, Wes has me pretty well convinced to move to Mobilinc Connect so that I can take advantage of Mobilinc X and some of the features that offers. I realize I don't be able to use Polyglot Cloud because of that, but are there any other things that I'll lose (that aren't replaced by Mobilinc Connect) if I am running polyglot locally, on one or more RPis?

Thanks for any help and advice on this.

I can only offer a few answers to the list above and some will need more clarification from Michel at UDI / others.

- Polyglot: At this juncture to insure stability I would run Polyglot on a separate RPI. Anytime there are issues you would need to reboot and resolve those NS issues which directly impacts the up time and relay of data to other services you have now.

- ISY Connection: As of this writing the Polyglot frame work only allows a connection to a single 994 controller. So it might be easier to have another cheap $35.00 RPI tasked to run Polyglot and connect to the other 994 you plan to deploy.

Being that you would be new to the system, I would recommend running polyglot on its own RPI as Teken pointed out. That way issues with one doesn't affect the other.

All nodeservers are through polyglot so your weather nodeserver would be downloaded to that one.

Both Isy's would need their own RPI but configuring each through it's own dashboard is easy.

I would personally go with the Isy portal. Not that anything is wrong mobilinc connect as it's great. I just wouldn't want to have to redo my stuff such as Google or Alexa should I change to something else. You also lose the network module if you're using it via the portal. My module was purchased separately so that part wouldn't bother me as much but it's something to think about if you haven't purchased

I thought of another question or two (this may happen a few times, I suspect):

If I have an RPi with Polyglot for each ISY, and have a weather nodeserver running on each of those, what do I do when I want to add an additional nodeserver (e.g., MyQ, to control garage doors)? Do I just load that next nodeserver onto the existing RPi that has the weather nodeserver running on it, or do I add yet another RPi?

And if the former (just one polyglot RPi per ISY with all nodeservers running on it), what is the practical limit for the number of nodeservers per ISY/RPi?

Thanks for replies.

1 hour ago, madcodger said:

If I have an RPi with Polyglot for each ISY, and have a weather nodeserver running on each of those, what do I do when I want to add an additional nodeserver (e.g., MyQ, to control garage doors)? Do I just load that next nodeserver onto the existing RPi that has the weather nodeserver running on it, or do I add yet another RPi?

This will become obvious and easy once you have Polyglot installed. There is a "Nodeserver Store" and there you can "install"  the Nodeservers that you want. Then you click on "Add Nodeserver" and thereafter follow the "Configuration"  instructions in each Nodeserver in the "Dashboard". Once you have installed Polyglot, it will mostly become self evident. Good luck.

7 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

25 is the limit as that's how many slots the isy has. All. Nodeservers go on the same RPI for the isy it's attached to

Each nodeserver can reside on a different host. Therefore you can have multiple RPis running Polyglot or Nodelink or hosting native nodeservers all hooked to the same ISY, as long as the total number of individual nodeservers doesn't exceed the ISY limit. For example, I have three instances of Polyglot connected to my ISY: one running on an older, RPi 2 which has reached EOL, my development instance running on a newly imaged RPi 3, and my "production" instance running on my Polisy.

Conversely, a single RPi can only run one instance of Polyglot, and that instance of Polyglot can only connect to one ISY.

1 hour ago, Goose66 said:

Each nodeserver can reside on a different host. Therefore you can have multiple RPis running Polyglot or Nodelink or hosting native nodeservers all hooked to the same ISY, as long as the total number of individual nodeservers doesn't exceed the ISY limit. For example, I have three instances of Polyglot connected to my ISY: one running on an older, RPi 2 which has reached EOL, my development instance running on a newly imaged RPi 3, and my "production" instance running on my Polisy.

Conversely, a single RPi can only run one instance of Polyglot, and that instance of Polyglot can only connect to one ISY.

Simply put, 25 is still the limit?

@madcodger I forget that another place where Nodeservers cans be hosted is Polyglot Cloud, or "PGC." PGC is available through my.isy.io if you have a ISY Portal subscription. The nodeservers available on PCG are primarily those requiring an interface to cloud services (e.g., Tesla, Ring, etc.) instead of local APIs that run internally on your home network. Any PGC nodeservers that you configure will also count towards the 25 nodeserver limit on your ISY.

Thanks, @Goose66. I have a portal subscription, but am considering a move to Mobilinc Connect, which would eliminate PGC as an option, I believe. Bit tue jury os still out on that, so we shall see... Greatly appreciate the thinking, though.

I got Polyglot installed and confirmed it is running but I cannot yet connect. Need to get some sleep now, so will fight that battle tomorrow.

Thanks, @Goose66. I have a portal subscription, but am considering a move to Mobilinc Connect, which would eliminate PGC as an option, I believe. Bit tue jury os still out on that, so we shall see... Greatly appreciate the thinking, though.
I got Polyglot installed and confirmed it is running but I cannot yet connect. Need to get some sleep now, so will fight that battle tomorrow.

Mind sharing your thoughts about possibly migrating to MobiLinc Connect and what sways you to do so?

The new MobiLinc X?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Teken. Well, I have not yet done so and need to do some experimenting this weekend, to make a decision. But basically, I need to run at least two ISYs and want to have easy, quick access to them via my phone. I'm still not sure that I can't achieve that with just Orchestrated Mobilinc and the ISY portal, but that's what I hope to discover this weekend. That said, Wes tells me that I can definitely do this with Mobilinc Connect and Mobilinc X. 

So, I first need to set up the second ISY and migrate some Z-wave devices from Homeseer over to it. Then, I need to try out remote access for the second ISY using the UDI portal. If that works, I'll stick with it. But if not, then I plan to move to Mobilinc.  

After all that, btw, I plan to dive into the polyglot world. I have two RPis ready to go. Should be a busy weekend!

9 hours ago, madcodger said:

Hi Teken. Well, I have not yet done so and need to do some experimenting this weekend, to make a decision. But basically, I need to run at least two ISYs and want to have easy, quick access to them via my phone. I'm still not sure that I can't achieve that with just Orchestrated Mobilinc and the ISY portal, but that's what I hope to discover this weekend. That said, Wes tells me that I can definitely do this with Mobilinc Connect and Mobilinc X. 

So, I first need to set up the second ISY and migrate some Z-wave devices from Homeseer over to it. Then, I need to try out remote access for the second ISY using the UDI portal. If that works, I'll stick with it. But if not, then I plan to move to Mobilinc.  

After all that, btw, I plan to dive into the polyglot world. I have two RPis ready to go. Should be a busy weekend!

Looking forward to your personal experience and first hand review.

EDIT - See my post a few items down. I finally got this to work.

Despite many attempts, I have not been able to get my SECOND ISY to connect via the UDI portal using Orchestrated Mobilinc. I'm using the same login info as the first one except that I've changed the secure port on the second device. And, I have tried a different user set up for the second device, with that device noted as primary for that user. Nothing seems to work. I can log in fine via a direct (local) connection, but nada via the portal for the second device. U less someone can chime in with a suggestion, I think I'm going to have to try Mobilinc Connect.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:14 AM, Teken said:

Looking forward to your personal experience and first hand review.

@Teken et al,

EDIT: I finally got Mobilinc to work with two ISYs, using the ISY portal. All other comments in this post are still valid.

So, Teken wanted to know about my experience with Mobilinc Connect, Mobilinc X, etc. (earlier post in this thread). Basically, they don't work at all with polyglot, as far as I can tell. You need to separately subscribe to the network module if you use Connect, to keep your polyglot working.

Mobilinc Connect does allow me to connect two ISYs to either Mobilinc X or to Orchestrated Mobilinc, In my case, though, I use Z-wave and Mobilinc X isn't nearly ready to support Z-wave in terms of sensors (not even door/window, temperature, or leak sensors). So, that product, although it looks great, is a non-starter for me.

So, bottom line is that if I were still using Insteon (as I did in previous two properties) I think Mobilinc X and Mobilinc Connect might be good solutions to try, if you were willing to also subscribe to the network module. But for Z-wave, they just haven't worked well for me, and the loss of the included network module make conversion unlikely in my case. Mobilinc Connect solved my two-ISY connection problem, but it appears primarily designed for Mobilinc X, and you lose the included network module when you switch to it. So, I still need a solution for remotely connecting two ISYs to Orchestrated Mobilinc, unless I subscribe to Mobilinc X and separately, the network module. It seems that there should be a decent way to just use the ISY portal to connect a Mobilinc product to two different ISYs, so that's what I'm trying to figure out at this point. It has been a rather frustrating experience.

Despite many attempts, I have not been able to get my SECOND ISY to connect via the UDI portal using Orchestrated Mobilinc. I'm using the same login info as the first one except that I've changed the secure port on the second device. And, I have tried a different user set up for the second device, with that device noted as primary for that user. Nothing seems to work. I can log in fine via a direct (local) connection, but nada via the portal for the second device. U less someone can chime in with a suggestion, I think I'm going to have to try Mobilinc Connect.

Not sure what kind of networking gear along with Firewall is on site. But can you confirm you tried to connect while WiFi was disconnected and tried via cellular?

I have the same issues here because my firewall doesn’t allow the public IP to be used while connected on the LAN / local WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 hour ago, Teken said:

UPDATE: I got Mobilinc to work with ISY Portal and TWO ISYs!

AFTER many, many attempts I finally just started over at the ISY Portal, ensuring that there was a unique user assigned to each ISY, and resetting the password for the user assigned to the second ISY. I then re-created separate profiles in Orchestrated Mobilinc, entering the unique user names and passwords from the ISY portal. I also left the local login info empty, and entered in only the secure login info. URL of my.isy.io was used for both profiles, as was a secure port of 443.

Mind you, I did almost all of those things (or at least I thought I did) umpteen times before. The only critical change I can discover is that I reset the passwords in the ISY portal. I am all but certain that I had the correct passwords before, as I use a password manager and just cut and paste from that. But after resetting them in the ISY portal, things worked fine. 

Archived