ISY WWW Network IP Address

C Martin

I noticed that when I enabled My ISY to have internet access that it was assigned an IP address.

Where does this address come from and is this truly the IP address for me to access my ISY from the net?

I guess that I need to have my router put this IP on the DMZ or maybe forward all request for that IP to that port via my router???

I'd appreciate any help on understanding this...

Clarence

C Martin,

This is how it works:

1. ISY searches your network for a UPnP enabled router

2. If one is not found, then ISY terminates the Internet Enablement Process

3. If ISY finds a UPnP enabled router, it does the following:

a. Request a list of port mappings

b. If it finds the list contains its port but not its current IP, it deletes the port mappings

c. ISY creates a port forwarding rule such that all traffic (on the net) directed to your ISY's port are forwarded to your ISY's IP address (NAT - Network Address Translation)

d. Finally, ISY asks the router for its external IP address and shows it to you as the URL through which you can access ISY

So, if ISY is telling you that Internet Access is Enabled and that your remote access URL is http://1.2.3.4:56789/0/x then you should rest assured that 1.2.3.4 is the external IP address through which you can access ISY.

In short, ISY creates the port forwarding rules for you so that you wouldn't have to do them manually.

With kind regards,

Michel

I noticed that when I enabled My ISY to have internet access that it was assigned an IP address.

Where does this address come from and is this truly the IP address for me to access my ISY from the net?

I guess that I need to have my router put this IP on the DMZ or maybe forward all request for that IP to that port via my router???

I'd appreciate any help on understanding this...

Clarence

Archived