Dryer notification with CT

joemac

I know many people have done this and I'm pretty sure I have seen this in the forum before but I am having a hard time finding it.  I'm looking for details on how to set up notifications, for an electric dryer to be finished, using a CT and I/O Linc 2450.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

22 minutes ago, joemac said:

I know many people have done this and I'm pretty sure I have seen this in the forum before but I am having a hard time finding it.  I'm looking for details on how to set up notifications, for an electric dryer to be finished, using a CT and I/O Linc 2450.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

There are other possibilities using other sensors like temperature, vibration, and open-close sensors. One of the forum members built a switch contact sensor to monitor his dryer vent which indicates to him the drying cycle is complete. 

You can put a current sensing relay (available at Grainger. https://www.grainger.com/category/electrical/industrial-controls-automation-and-machine-safety/relays-and-accessories/current-sensor-relays?cm_mmc=PPC%3A+MSN+PPC&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!79302366338600!dat-2331102090009837%3Aloc-71300&ef_id=XnIm8wAABT6Rb8wF%3A20200318134939%3As , etc), monitoring the motor L1/hot feed, and then connect the C - NO contacts of the relay to the IOLinc. This is a completely isolated monitoring circuit since the current relay detects when the dryers motor is running by sensing the current of the drum motor. The motor wire is fed through the relay, keeping it all isolated.. To make it simple, get a current relay that has a self-contained power supply (unless you plan to have an external power supply - typically this is 24VAC).

11 hours ago, SeeGreen said:

You can put a current sensing relay (available at Grainger. https://www.grainger.com/category/electrical/industrial-controls-automation-and-machine-safety/relays-and-accessories/current-sensor-relays?cm_mmc=PPC%3A+MSN+PPC&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!79302366338600!dat-2331102090009837%3Aloc-71300&ef_id=XnIm8wAABT6Rb8wF%3A20200318134939%3As , etc), monitoring the motor L1/hot feed, and then connect the C - NO contacts of the relay to the IOLinc. This is a completely isolated monitoring circuit since the current relay detects when the dryers motor is running by sensing the current of the drum motor. The motor wire is fed through the relay, keeping it all isolated.. To make it simple, get a current relay that has a self-contained power supply (unless you plan to have an external power supply - typically this is 24VAC).

Any suggestion on the best Z-wave dry contact device for this, instead of an IOLinc? I want to use this to monitor a generator's running/not running status, but an Insteon-free and use only Z-wave at this property. Thanks!

On 3/18/2020 at 8:41 AM, Teken said:

One of the forum members built a switch contact sensor to monitor his dryer vent which indicates to him the drying cycle is complete. 

That was me.  Here is the thread where I include a shopping list and video demo. 

Master Drier Copy - [ID 0163][Parent 00F7]  (this program enables the notification program only with 2 continuous minutes of operation)

If
        'WebControl8 / Input8' Status is 0

Then
        Wait  2 minutes 
        Enable Program 'Master Drier'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Master Drier - [ID 00C6][Parent 00F7][Not Enabled][Run At Startup]  (Now that drier has been on for 2 minutes straigt, this sends and email as soon as the drier turns off, then deactivates itself)

If
        'WebControl8 / Input8' Status is 1

Then
        Send Notification to 'ellen gmail' content 'Master Dryer Done'
        Wait  1 second
        Disable Program 'Master Drier'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

48 minutes ago, garybixler said:

In my case I just replaced the end of cycle signal 110v buzzer with a 110v momentary relay. Then into any dry input contact device like the insteon EZIO6I. 

Gary

Unfortunately, only older driers and very basic models have buzzers anymore.  Most of your modern feature driers have a computer controlled speaker of some sort that plays a song or makes some other sort of not-so-obnoxious sound.   Plus, why take your drier apart when all you need to do is take the vent off attach a flapper, and reinstall the vent.  Zero chance of damaging anything, shocking yourself, setting anything on fire, or voiding your warranty.

The only other way I would recommend is to use a current sensor on the power cord.   Driers or usually sold without a cord and it is intended to be attached by the end-user, so no warranty voiding here.  You can attach the current sensor inside the j-box on the back of the drier where the two legs of 240 are separate wires.

If you have a 120 drier (gas), you can use a synchrolinc, if you can manage to find one.

For me I had no problem taking the dryer apart. I did also add a current sensor on one of the legs in the dryer. That way I would know if the dryer is on and also when the drying cycle is finished which happens before the dryer actually turns off. My vent goes directly out the back through the wall. Not sure if there would be any room for a flapper. Nice to have the older type dryer. Would defiantly need to revisit with a newer dryer.

I would be nervous installing a flapper or sail switch in the vent pipe. There is a great deal of lint that gets past the filter that I don't want clogging the pipe at the flapper. I don't want to make a fire hazard or something I am going to need to clean later.

In the end, I installed three relays in my washer/dryer that trip two open/close sensors. I needed two relays for the washer as the different cycles energized different paths of the circuit. (I made a 2-input 115V OR gate) Not too elegant but it is reliable and I can get the notification a few seconds after the actual cycle ends.

Fortunately, my 16-year old "beast" is like an old V8 - Easy to work on and modify, reliable, and surprisingly easy to find parts for.

5 hours ago, gviliunas said:

I would be nervous installing a flapper or sail switch in the vent pipe. There is a great deal of lint that gets past the filter that I don't want clogging the pipe at the flapper. I don't want to make a fire hazard or something I am going to need to clean later.

In the end, I installed three relays in my washer/dryer that trip two open/close sensors. I needed two relays for the washer as the different cycles energized different paths of the circuit. (I made a 2-input 115V OR gate) Not too elegant but it is reliable and I can get the notification a few seconds after the actual cycle ends.

Fortunately, my 16-year old "beast" is like an old V8 - Easy to work on and modify, reliable, and surprisingly easy to find parts for.

Flap is a purpose built flap, not anything "rigged".  It is installed exactly where and how it is intended, only the addition of the reed contact is different.  At any rate, it has been installed for I think 2 years.  About a month ago I had to pull the drier out to do some cleaning and unhooked the pipe.  The flap was 100% free of lint.  However, the flap on the outside of the house was far from clean.  I think, perhaps, the difference is that the outside flap is restricted to only open about an inch (by design) whereas this flap opens to a full 90 degrees.

Archived