Displaying individual variables "as devices" (sort of like virtual devices)

madcodger

Just jumping in to say THANK YOU to @markv58 for creating Virtual, a nodeserver that addresses a long-standing need. As it turns out, I'm neck deep in a few work and home items this week that require my attention. But I can hardly wait to try this out... Very excited. Thanks to those who are already diving in and giving Mark feedback, as well.

What nodes do you have that have free form?  I'm pretty sure every node I have is a drop down selection.

I should have been more specific that within the ISY AC depending what option is selected in the programs section from ( Action / Condition ) a person will be presented either free form or predefined values as seen in my previous image captures.

Having the ability to select either would be ideal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 minutes ago, markv58 said:

There is a glitch when Set Temperature is used from the node page when raw data is flagged, I just haven't decided how to handle that yet.

When time permits can you also update the drop down to include values up to -60'C. I know lots of folks can't really relate to that kind of cold temperatures but some of us have seen and endured -55'C. ?

Just now, Teken said:

When time permits can you also update the drop down to include values up to -60'C. I know lots of folks can't really relate to that kind of cold temperatures but some of us have seen and endured -55'C. ?

Certainly, I wanted to give you a crack at it for some feedback first.

3 hours ago, markv58 said:

Certainly, I wanted to give you a crack at it for some feedback first.

Thanks for the update.  The 1 decimal place works great.  Any chance you can make a generic one?  Or is it possible to be able to create your own label as part of the configuration?  In my case, I'm looking for the label to be "hours".  I could use it as is, but it would just be confusing when people go to set how many hours for something to run and the label says "Fahrenheit".  It would be better for there to be no label at all rather than a label that incorrectly describes the value.

45 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Thanks for the update.  The 1 decimal place works great.  Any chance you can make a generic one?  Or is it possible to be able to create your own label as part of the configuration?  In my case, I'm looking for the label to be "hours".  I could use it as is, but it would just be confusing when people go to set how many hours for something to run and the label says "Fahrenheit".  It would be better for there to be no label at all rather than a label that incorrectly describes the value.

+1

On a related note what is the intention for the Set Temperature field?!? How is this supposed to be used in context of a program??

43 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Interesting, hadn't thought of hours, I will look into it.

@Teken Not sure, that is for you to decide. It's main purpose is the mechanism to set the temp from a program. I found no work around for the raw data business so the next update will have a button to resolve the raw to prec value which means an extra step in a program but I've tested and it works nicely.

2 minutes ago, markv58 said:

Interesting, hadn't thought of hours, I will look into it.

@Teken Not sure, that is for you to decide. It's main purpose is the mechanism to set the temp from a program. I found no work around for the raw data business so the next update will have a button to resolve the raw to prec value which means an extra step in a program but I've tested and it works nicely.

While hours works for me on this one application, unless there is a way to let the user configure the label in polyglot, I think you would be better off with no label at all.  Then people can make it whatever they want and label the node itself to clue in the user.  I would leave the temp one as is, just add another one that is pretty much the same as the temp one but with no label (or user defined label).

4 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

While hours works for me on this one application, unless there is a way to let the user configure the label in polyglot, I think you would be better off with no label at all.  Then people can make it whatever they want and label the node itself to clue in the user.  I would leave the temp one as is, just add another one that is pretty much the same as the temp one but with no label (or user defined label).

There is a thing called Units of Measure that lets ISY know how to handle and return info that is hard coded.

I'm coming from the stand point of someone that wants to extract information through the rest interface which is simple to do with the ST driver and nearly impossible to do with any of the other drivers using the development platform I'm using. Something with the regex that just won't play right.

For the shear enjoyment of having something generic and virtual to work with I will tinker. The hours, minutes thing has uom established so that's doable.

14 hours ago, markv58 said:

@Teken Just triggered an update to 1.0.3, you will need to add the Convert Raw to Prec step to display correctly.

@markv58

Just updated a few moments ago and was smooth sailing to do so. So questions and observations in case some of this is intended vs To Do. I initially didn't understand what you meant by *Convert Raw to Prec* and was thinking you meant to insure the (temperature) was changed to (temperaturecr) again. I left it as it was prior (temperaturecr) but also noticed you removed that same information in the Configuration Help?!?

Regardless, I launched the AC and saw the extra button at the bottom.

So I selected the first node and lets just say it was already 23.6'C when I pressed on the Convert Raw to Prec the value changed to 0? So I moved on and waited for the temperature to change and noticed the value toggled back to raw and at that point I selected the prec and it corrected it to the decimal value - Great! I went back and changed the temperaturecr to temperaturec in case this was causing a conflict.

I restarted the node server and noticed the value always toggles back to raw?

As of this writing I am rebooting the ISY, Polisy to see if there is a difference - insight?   

I believe the problem regarding the value changing back to zero was found. By default the ISY precision is set to 0 and when I changed it to 1. This allowed the Convert Raw to Prec to display correctly. I'll monitor for the next hour or so to see if it flips back to the raw value.

First, love the new thermostat icon much better than the light bulb - Thanks! After watching the console for a little while the system does indeed display the raw value until the client selects the Convert Raw to Prec this isn't ideal at all. I also noticed if you select that button on a old value it will change it to zero?!? I'm trying to think why this update happen besides adding in the -60'C - Thank You!

I would be more than happy to see the new icon, -60'C, and let me just continue entering *temperaturecr* - it just works! 

Thermostat Icon.PNG

@Teken In your program add the Convert Raw to Prec after you send the raw to the temp device. Before it was done with the r flag but that fouled the Set Temp from the node.

Of course don't do it if you are getting the prec value.

16 minutes ago, markv58 said:

@Teken In your program add the Convert Raw to Prec after you send the raw to the temp device. Before it was done with the r flag but that fouled the Set Temp from the node.

Of course don't do it if you are getting the prec value.

Gotcha, made the changes and works perfectly now! For the benefit of others can you insert some of the details about the required steps in the Configuration Help file. This will surely cut down on technical support questions on the forum.

Thank You - Sir!

2 minutes ago, Teken said:

Gotcha, made the changes and works perfectly now! For the benefit of others can you insert some of the details about the required steps in the Configuration Help file. This will surely cut down on technical support questions on the forum.

Thank You - Sir!

It's actually there now, with a misspelling, but I will enhance the info on that page and the README.md on the git page.

Correct me if i am wrong.  But it would seem that the temp virtual node has no affiliation with any particular variable.  Set the temp at the node, the variable stays the same.  Set the variable value, the node stays the same.  It appears the only connection between a variable and temp node is if you use a program to transfer the value from one to the other (either direction).  But this is not restricted to the "assigned" variable you use when configuring the node in polyglot.

27 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Correct me if i am wrong.  But it would seem that the temp virtual node has no affiliation with any particular variable.  Set the temp at the node, the variable stays the same.  Set the variable value, the node stays the same.  It appears the only connection between a variable and temp node is if you use a program to transfer the value from one to the other (either direction).  But this is not restricted to the "assigned" variable you use when configuring the node in polyglot.

You are correct, it was and will be again once I work out a couple of things.

Is there a way for someone to enable / disable if someone wants to see more than one value in the AC? Also, given multiple instances of a node server can't exist in one box is there any way to manage sensors, switches, other? 

34 minutes ago, Teken said:

Is there a way for someone to enable / disable if someone wants to see more than one value in the AC?

More than one value per node? In a different format?

37 minutes ago, Teken said:

Also, given multiple instances of a node server can't exist in one box is there any way to manage sensors, switches, other? 

Manage how? You can Ungroup from the controller and move the devices anywhere or into folders of the same type.

Archived