How To Use A Switchlinc Switch With A Ceiling Fan?

saphotoexpress

I've got 2 normal wall switches currently installed, one for the ceiling fan light and the other for the ceiling fan. They are wired together(in series or daisy chained?), and then there is an additional wire that I'm guessing goes to the fan.  I thought I could just use a Switchlinc switch for the light and another Switchlinc Dimmer for the fan.  I would be fine with using 2 Switchlincs, I don't need to use the dimmer(don't need fan speed control).  I just want to turn the lights and the fan on using 2 different switches. 

Can I use what I have or do I need a special switch?  Do I have to use a Fanlinc or something similar if I don't need speed control?

If I can use 2 Switchlincs, does anyone have wiring instructions?  

6 minutes ago, saphotoexpress said:

I've got 2 normal wall switches currently installed, one for the ceiling fan light and the other for the ceiling fan. They are wired together(in series or daisy chained?), and then there is an additional wire that I'm guessing goes to the fan.  I thought I could just use a Switchlinc switch for the light and another Switchlinc Dimmer for the fan.  I would be fine with using 2 Switchlincs, I don't need to use the dimmer(don't need fan speed control).  I just want to turn the lights and the fan on using 2 different switches. 

Can I use what I have or do I need a special switch?  Do I have to use a Fanlinc or something similar if I don't need speed control?

If I can use 2 Switchlincs, does anyone have wiring instructions?  

Using a dimmer on a Fan is going to quickly ruin the dimmer or the fan motor.  Dimmer's are not designed for this. 

You may be able to get away with a Switch just to turn the fan on/off but again the Switch is not designed for this.  If you want to do it "right" use a FanLinc and a KPL to control the FanLinc.  If you want to do it cheap then I have several FanLinc's and KPL's available for sale :)

They make a module that mounts in the fan that controls the fan and the light https://www.smarthome.com/fanlinc-insteon-2475f-ceiling-fan-and-light-controller-fixture-module-dual-band.html Then you can use whatever you want to control it which I like the 6 button keypad dimmers that you can use the dimmer for the light then setup the smaller buttons for the different speeds of the fan https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2334-232-keypad-dimmer-switch-dual-band-6-button-white.html

Archived