How to test ISY for fault?

lzthqx

I have an isy99iPRO/ZW that no matter what, cannot connect to PLMs.

I have gone through 2 PLMs so far replacing them for newer ones, only to have to do it again after a few months (I have 3 now).

Silly me, I never checked the PLMs themselves, I just assumed they were faulty (because the ISY goes into safe mode).

Frustrated, I installed 2 other smarthome products (HomeAssistant, and Homeseer).  The PLMs work flawlessly with these systems!

I have upgraded the firmware on the ISY to the latest.  Switched cables (tried over 10 of different lengths and qualities), moved the PLM to another plug/location, tried all the startup sequence suggestions, reset the PLMs, checked the serial port pins, and updated the firmware. As I am now certain the issue lies with the ISY, how does one go about troubleshooting the serial port or device?

Thanks..

I have an isy99iPRO/ZW that no matter what, cannot connect to PLMs.
I have gone through 2 PLMs so far replacing them for newer ones, only to have to do it again after a few months (I have 3 now).
Silly me, I never checked the PLMs themselves, I just assumed they were faulty (because the ISY goes into safe mode).
Frustrated, I installed 2 other smarthome products (HomeAssistant, and Homeseer).  The PLMs work flawlessly with these systems!
I have upgraded the firmware on the ISY to the latest.  Switched cables (tried over 10 of different lengths and qualities), moved the PLM to another plug/location, tried all the startup sequence suggestions, reset the PLMs, checked the serial port pins, and updated the firmware. As I am now certain the issue lies with the ISY, how does one go about troubleshooting the serial port or device?

Thanks..

1. ISY Series Controller: Power it down by unplugging power.

2. 2413S PLM: Plug the RJ45 Ethernet Cable into the correct port on the back. Plug 2413S PLM unit to 120 VAC power and wait 10 seconds.

3. ISY Series Controller: Power up the controller and wait for it to settle down.

4. Admin Console: Login to the Console and select tools and select PLM Status. If the 2413S PLM is connected and seen the Admin Console will indicate connected and list out the firmware etc.

Given you have wiped the system in various steps - good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I purchased a brand new PLM today, hooked it up and followed the startup procedure.  No connection.  Any chance for an answer to my original question on how to test the ISY?Thanks,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Please show me a image capture of the 2414S PLM Status while everything is connected from the Admin Console.

Since you tried different cables between the PLM and ISY994i. The contacts in the serial RJ45 connector look good. The PLMs you have worked fine with other software using a PLM.

Your ISY994i may have a serial port issue. I am not too sure what you can see if you try to look at the serial signals from the ISY994i. I never tried. the ISY994i signals just the PLM with some PLM Test programs.

UDI is very responsive to problems from users. You may want to open a Support Ticket.  https://www.universal-devices.com/contact-us  Submit a Ticket choice.

On 5/2/2020 at 2:21 PM, Teken said:

Thanks Brian,

I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any simple steps or anything.  I'll open a ticket.

On 5/2/2020 at 2:21 PM, Teken said:

Thanks for the quick reply, however as noted in my initial request, this has already been tried '...tried all the startup sequence suggestions'.

1. ISY Series Controller: Power it down by unplugging power.

2. 2413S PLM: Plug the RJ45 Ethernet Cable into the correct port on the back. Plug 2413S PLM unit to 120 VAC power and wait 10 seconds.

3. ISY Series Controller: Power up the controller and wait for it to settle down.

4. Admin Console: Login to the Console and select tools and select PLM Status. If the 2413S PLM is connected and seen the Admin Console will indicate connected and list out the firmware etc.

Given you have wiped the system in various steps - good luck!

I can confirm that there have been no power issues.  The device is connected to a large regulated UPS.  It's strange.  I am able to connect to the PLM via a usb serial cable and operate the PLM from HomeAssistant directly, but no PLM seems to want to connect to the ISY.

Archived