Sonos OS S2 update

Bumbershoot

FYI -- It appears that if/when you update your Sonos speaker(s) to the new Sonos operating system S2, you may lose some of the functionality of both of the Sonos nodeservers available (Sonoscontroller in the cloud, and UDI-Sonos-poly for RPi and Polisy installations -- Incidentally, the same thing is true for anyone using the Jishi API).  I currently have a split system (some speakers on Sonos OS S1 which continue to work with the nodeservers, and some on Sonos OS S2, which are not discovered by the nodeservers).

My initial observation is that if you have a split system (some speakers running OS S1 and some running OS S2), then only the speakers running OS S1 are discovered by the nodeservers.  It would be interesting to know if setups that are all OS S2 would be discovered.  I see indications that the Sonos UPnP interface has not changed, and that people running Home Assistant are able to control OS S2 systems.  This may only be a problem for those of us running split systems.

I just did a fresh install of SonosController with my home system which is all S2 and all players were discovered and nodes created.  SonosController is using the official Sonos API so I don't expect many problems.  I don't have a S1/S2 mixed setup but from my understanding they are not going to play well together.

6 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

FYI -- It appears that if/when you update your Sonos speaker(s) to the new Sonos operating system S2, you may lose some of the functionality of both of the Sonos nodeservers available (Sonoscontroller in the cloud, and UDI-Sonos-poly for RPi and Polisy installations -- Incidentally, the same thing is true for anyone using the Jishi API).  I currently have a split system (some speakers on Sonos OS S1 which continue to work with the nodeservers, and some on Sonos OS S2, which are not discovered by the nodeservers).

My initial observation is that if you have a split system (some speakers running OS S1 and some running OS S2), then only the speakers running OS S1 are discovered by the nodeservers.  It would be interesting to know if setups that are all OS S2 would be discovered.  I see indications that the Sonos UPnP interface has not changed, and that people running Home Assistant are able to control OS S2 systems.  This may only be a problem for those of us running split systems.

Mine are all on the s2 and from the one that I used over the weekend, it continues to work. 

I don't know if it's related to the app or not but I am getting volume fluctuations that I didn't get before. Outside of that it's working. 

I also just did a quick test on some of the others and they all seem to work as well

@simplextech and @lilyoyo1, thanks for the replies.  I've got two gen1 Play:5 speakers that are stuck on the S1 OS (hence the split system), so I've got to decide if I want to spend the $$$ to upgrade them.  The good news for me is that they're the speakers I send my TTS notifications to, so they still work provide the security notifications we've grown to depend upon.

I haven't seen any information regarding the differences in sound quality between the gen1 Play:5 and the new Sonos 5 speakers -- if it's apparent, then the upgrade cost will be worth it.  I do understand that the newer speakers can play substantially louder, and I've got a big space to fill, so maybe it's worth the cost just for that.

If anyone has any opinions about the sound quality/volume levels of the new Sonos 5 speakers, I'd like to hear them.  I'm intended to stick with the Sonos environment for the forseable future.  I'd would like to use the Sonoscontroller nodeserver for my TTS needs, so that's a plus for the upgrade.

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

@simplextech and @lilyoyo1, thanks for the replies.  I've got two gen1 Play:5 speakers that are stuck on the S1 OS (hence the split system), so I've got to decide if I want to spend the $$$ to upgrade them.  The good news for me is that they're the speakers I send my TTS notifications to, so they still work provide the security notifications we've grown to depend upon.

I haven't seen any information regarding the differences in sound quality between the gen1 Play:5 and the new Sonos 5 speakers -- if it's apparent, then the upgrade cost will be worth it.  I do understand that the newer speakers can play substantially louder, and I've got a big space to fill, so maybe it's worth the cost just for that.

If anyone has any opinions about the sound quality/volume levels of the new Sonos 5 speakers, I'd like to hear them.  I'm intended to stick with the Sonos environment for the forseable future.  I'd would like to use the Sonoscontroller nodeserver for my TTS needs, so that's a plus for the upgrade.

Thanks.

You're welcome. I havent had a chance to listen to the new play 5 yet. However, the gen 2 did sound better than the gen 1 (better balance and bass). I wouldnt expect the 3rd gen to have an exponential jump over the 2nd gen. but definitely would be worth it from the first.  The new amp is much better than the old if you or anyone you know needs theirs replaced. Definitely worth the price to upgrade

I have a house that Im putting the new sound bar and sub in once Volutone gets them in stock. If you or anyone is interested in knowing about those, I'll update whenever it does become available.

36 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I have a house that Im putting the new sound bar and sub in once Volutone gets them in stock. If you or anyone is interested in knowing about those, I'll update whenever it does become available.

Well, me.  I've got the original sub that I'm going to keep, but I've got a TV that needs a new sound bar.  I just haven't gotten my head wrapped around purchasing one, yet.  I'd appreciate any observations you'd be interested in sharing.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I'll let you know once I get it up and running. Are you looking for one for a bedroom or living room?

This one is for a bedroom.  I have a Playbar, Sub and surrounds for the Living Room.

Depending on size, the Beam may work well for you. I wouldn't use it in a large open area but for the avg. master bedroom it'll do really well. 

I like being able to integrate everything with the Isy. While any ir based solution could work using Harmony hub (and the harmony nodeserver), I look for devices I can control in a multitude of ways

• 5 months later...

I too just finally got my S1 Speakers (Play 5 - Gen 1) and S2 Speakers reconfigured for two separate systems. 

I decided to take the existing S1 Speaker (Play 5 - Gen 1) and combine it with a Play:1 for my office.  The other S2 Speakers are on the S2 App.  So, I have S1 App with the Play 5 and Play:1 and the S2 App with the reset of my S2 Speakers (7).

As stated above, Polisy / ISY cannot see the S1 Speakers.  Kind of a bummer since they are the speakers I use to control with ISY.

Just FYI, can't expect the developers to keep up with all the changes / previous gen equipment. 

I do have a new Play 5 on the way to replace the Play 5 - Gen 1 in my Family Room.  I'll update if I can remember about quality of the sound between the two.

Regards,

• 1 year later...

Archived