ISY Portal maintenance - 07-26-2020

bmercier

Hello everyone,

We will have a maintenance this Sunday 07-26-2020 at 8:00 AM Pacific time which will last about 1 hour. During this period, your ISY will disconnect for a few brief moments.

The purpose is to Install the most recent security patches.

Benoit

This has become a PITA for users of Alexa Routines.

It seems every time the ISY Portal disconnects from the Alexa interface all routines lose their triggers when the devices become MIA. Each time this happens all Routines have to be rebuilt again in the Alexa mobile app only (Routines are not apparent online in browsers).

Yesterday I rebuilt all my Routines again but this time Alexa refuses to run them. Not sure why this time. This hasn't happened for a long time now. Still working on it. If I disconnect the accounts and reconnect them, it may fix the Routine responses but  I will have to start all over again with every Alexa Routine, rebuilding them again. **SIGH**

29 minutes ago, larryllix said:

This has become a PITA for users of Alexa Routines.

It seems every time the ISY Portal disconnects from the Alexa interface all routines lose their triggers when the devices become MIA. Each time this happens all Routines have to be rebuilt again in the Alexa mobile app only (Routines are not apparent online in browsers).

Yesterday I rebuilt all my Routines again but this time Alexa refuses to run them. Not sure why this time. This hasn't happened for a long time now. Still working on it. If I disconnect the accounts and reconnect them, it may fix the Routine responses but  I will have to start all over again with every Alexa Routine, rebuilding them again. **SIGH**

This maintenance should not have any impacts on Alexa Routines. ISY Portal won't be "disconnected from the Alexa Interface". In fact, it won't be noticed at all by Alexa, unless you happen to make a voice request at exactly the same time as your ISY gets disconnected from the Proxy, and this takes just a few seconds.

Benoit

48 minutes ago, bmercier said:

This maintenance should not have any impacts on Alexa Routines. ISY Portal won't be "disconnected from the Alexa Interface". In fact, it won't be noticed at all by Alexa, unless you happen to make a voice request at exactly the same time as your ISY gets disconnected from the Proxy, and this takes just a few seconds.

Benoit

Thanks!

This happens every 6-12 months on my Alexa. Any clues to why my ISY Portal and Alexa accounts  would seemingly keep disconnecting and clearing out my Routine setups?

The device list is always maintained even after disconnecting accounts for hours. When reconnected no "Discovery" is necessary as Amazon remembers everything but the Routine usage of pseudo MSes (state variables) is always lost. The trigger MSes seems to persist but the routines think they devices are gone and remove the triggers involving them.

8 hours ago, larryllix said:

This happens every 6-12 months on my Alexa. Any clues to why my ISY Portal and Alexa accounts  would seemingly keep disconnecting and clearing out my Routine setups?

Unfortunately I have no clue. I wonder if this issye is widespread or not...

8 hours ago, larryllix said:

The device list is always maintained even after disconnecting accounts for hours. When reconnected no "Discovery" is necessary as Amazon remembers everything but the Routine usage of pseudo MSes (state variables) is always lost. The trigger MSes seems to persist but the routines think they devices are gone and remove the triggers involving them.

I'm sure that's something Amazon could improve.

2 hours ago, bmercier said:

Unfortunately I have no clue. I wonder if this issye is widespread or not...

I'm sure that's something Amazon could improve.

I have discovered my ISY Portal switched at least one table entry with another spoken. I created a new spoken entry from a state variable and it disapeared. I found it with the variable number using another entries spoken table. I deleted anything I thought was related and rebuilt those three entries.

In the Alexa app I found the same thing with the spoken (MS names) switched with Routines. I have deleted accounts and rebuilt all Routines from scratch. My Alexa Routines still do not function. This also happened a few years ago. IIRC Amazon tech did something after being told and it suddenly disappeared again.

I can initiate state variable value changes and see the devices in Alexa app show "motion" and then "no motion", so the ISY Portal is working fine with the pseudo-MSes from state variables.
The routines can be manually triggered inside the Alexa app and they speak properly.
The routines just do not trigger.

I just noticed the Routines all contain blank names now. I don't remember that field existing before. Looks like Amazon modified their software and made a mess.

@bmercierLooks like I may have found some answers. Whatever kicked my Alexa Routines off, removes the device triggers and also disables each routine. After re-attaching each device again, I didn't notice the "disable/enable switch" was disabled. Well, I did notice it but while in the disable position, it appears to be labelled a disable switch that was Off, so I was reading it backwards. grrrrr.... It was also possible my finger was slipping on each save when clicking the back arrow and disabling each Routine, also

Then, I could not duplicate the multiple speaker selection using Announcements. It turns out the Alexa app routine does not support multiple speakers directly, but the IFTT interface included does, via it's messaging option. I created a dummy Routine with an instructive name at the top of the list, because I have been caught on this before, but didn't remember it from a few years ago.

I tried to contact Amazon support a few times, but the online chat contact would never answer, and I could never get an answer from the support phone number, either. Despite submitting my email address, I never received a response from that either. I will be watching for the satisfaction survey, I am sure will come later. :)

I had to switch to my wife's Alexa account, could not get mine working again. Also had no luck w/ Amazon support even after they documented the issue and said they turned it over to the development team.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:31 PM, TexMike said:

I set up several Alexa speak routines and all were working fine for months until recently when I noticed I wasn't getting announcements. Started trouble shooting - When I change my Alexa speak variable in ISY the corresponding motion detector shows motion so ISY to Alexa communication is working and I can use Alexa spokens to change ISY devices. When I manually execute routines in the Alexa app the Echo announcements work. So I scratched my head for a while and on a whim I disabled a routine and reenabled it and it started working. I had to do this to all my Alexa speak routines although they were showing enabled. Any one else encounter this?

Update: Worked for a while and now stopped again and nothing I try works, tried disabling/enabling ISY skill which seemed like a stretch because Alexa motion detectors are seeing motion when I change ISY variable. Seems routines are not running when motion status changes because I have a test routine when I say this, Alexa says that and it works fine. Ideas?

Update2: Thought I would take Alexa speak out of the picture, so created a routine to turn on a light based on virtual motion detector and again virtual motion detector shows motion, but light doesn't turn on. Manually running the routine turns light on. I realize this is not an ISY problem since the portal is doing its job and turning on motion. Any ideas from the community? Since this thread hasn't seen activity in a while, tagging @bmercier 

Update3: In case anyone cares or encounters the same problem. Tried Amazon support since that is where the problem occurs, said they turned it over to development, but no solution yet. I decided to try my wife's Alexa account since she also has access to the ISY portal skill and it worked fine in her account. So for now I recreated my 20 or so Alexa speak routines in her account and Alexa is chatty again. 

Mike

Archived