Release 5.2.0 (RC3) - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

1 hour ago, AStarink said:

So after some initial issues with my upgrade from 4.7.3 to 5.1.0, I've updated to a 500 zwave board and upgrade to 5.2.0.. it's all working great and i'm running Polyglot on a RPi4 with 8 installed node servers!  The only issue I have is with z-wave..

I only have 2 z-wave devices; two Schlage BE469NX locks (this is the older model as there is a newer zwave plus model) and I'm unable to add them to the ISY...

What I've done so far:

• Factory reset the locks
  • Factory reset z-wave dongle (it's running 6.81.0)
  • Tried to add the locks - no luck, even held the ISY within 5 inches of the lock!
  • Added a Aeotec AEZW189 Z-wave Plus Range Extender 7 - still unable to add the locks
  • Held the ISY on it's side, up-side-down - you name it.. the lock won't add...
  • Played with the numerous Z-Wave options - no luck

This is what I do for my attempt to add the lock

1. On the ISY select  "Add a Z-Wave device"  - this will prompt the Device Discovery pop-up saying it's listening for Z-Wave devices..
  2. On the lock: Deadbolt is extended, press "Schlage" button, enter 6 digit programming code + "0"

Any thoughts?

Same issue for me with the old lock, it won't include securely.  It excludes okay, but the secure include fails.  This post indicates that the newer locks behave better, but I don't have one to test at the moment:

So a general recap of my experience with 5.2.0.
No problems with insteon. All my issues are with zwave.  
I have the 500 series controller/board/dongle.  I have a mix of the non-plus zwave devices as well as plus devices.

After upgrading most of my devices show no neighbors.
If I do show info in event viewer then the last working route from ISY to node shows which node the packet traveled through. Then right after that they show no neighbors.
If I do a synchronize on a non plus device it disappears from the ISY and that is it. It is just gone. 
If I do a synchronize on a plus device it may or may not work.  
If I do update neighbors directly after the above scenario where it says the last known path is through two devices, but it has no neighbors then it will list a neighbor that wasn't listed just before.
In fact if it does say success in updating neighbors then after doing show all info it will only ever list a device that has disappeared after a synchronize and then later excluded and re added to the ISY.
So any neighbors are ones that have been excluded and added again while on 5.2.0. None from before.

It seems like my only option is to exclude and re-add every device to get them all working again.  Less than ideal.

Anybody have any ideas or something I missed?

Thanks

@danbutter and others having problems with z-wave network.  I am seeing an issue now as well.  At first, my network was fine.  But I decided to remove 1 z-wave plus device and replace it with another.  That immediately killed several of my z-wave Gen 3 (non-plus) devices.  No amount of synchronizing or update neighbors would help.  Could not query the devices or synchronize.  So I had to take each 300 series device to within a few feet of my ISY, do synchronize again (did not lose any nodes or names, which is good), and then do "Update Neighbors" while still near the ISY.  I then had to move it to about 25 feet from the ISY and repeat the "update neighbors".  Then move it another 25 feet and do "update neighbors" again.  Eventually, I was able to 'walk' each device back to its original location and it would now work fine.  For a few, I also found the "Repair Links" would help.  The only associations I had were with the ISY itself, but for some reason that solved it for a couple devices.  

That leads me to believe there is something wrong with the z-wave code for updating either neighbors or, more likely, the most recent working pathway.  The odd thing, is that the non-working Gen 3 devices did show many neighbors.  And the nearby Gen 5 devices that were working also listed the non-working Gen 3 device I was having trouble with in their neighbors list.  But the last working pathway appeared stale and would not work. 

@Chris Jahn, could you look into this?  It seems to impact non-plus devices.  Their most recent path does not update or does not appear to work.  So any minor change in the network, like removing just 1 device, can render all the series 300 devices that depend on that device unreachable.  One other thing is that if I can get the "Repair Links" to reset the association between that device and the ISY (the only association that exists), then that sometimes makes them start to work again.  Also, I gave my network a full 48 hours to see if it might heal itself, but it never did.  I also went through updating neighbors for every z-wave device that was working, but that also did not help restore the series 300 devices that stopped talking.   Oh, and all of the devices were always on repeating devices (not battery powered).  

The good news is that after fixing the non-communicating Gen 3 devices, the network is back to working very solidly again.  I am just worried that any changes to a repeating device will cause issues to return due to non-existent last-working-pathway.  

@Chris Jahn, another thing I have noticed that changed from 5.0.16C to 5.2.0 is that many (all?) of my z-wave devices that used to send signals to the ISY when the device was manually turned on or off are no longer sending any communications that I can see in Event Viewer level 3.  For example, AEOTEC Smart Switch 6, Z-wave Plus, used to to be able to update the ISY when you turned it on or off using the button on the switch.  Now, turning the Plug's switch on or off is not reflected in the ISY.  Even more concerning is that there is no longer any Level 3 data being shown when the plug is switched on or off manually.  If you turn if on/off from the ISY, it of course reflects correctly. And if you query the device, the ISY will update. 

This is new behavior compared to 5.0.16C.  Any idea why Level 3 communications in Event Viewer are showing nothing coming from these devices when turn on manually?    

EDIT: Doh!  For some reason, some of my z-wave devices had their "communication with associated devices" set to none.  I just changed to Basic CC, and all works fine again.  And many of my Gen 3 (non-plus) devices needed to have their association with the ISY redone using  "Repair Links".  Sorry for false alarm, but might be worth others seeing this in case they have the same problem.   

@blueman2 This is pretty similar to what I have been posting / asking about.  I used to distinguish between STATUS and CONTROL (switch) in my programs.  If I use in IF  Status, then the THEN acts whether I manually click on the switch or when the switch is activated in the Administrative Console. On the other hand when using CONTROL in IF in a program, the THEN only works when manually activated on the switch.

This worked great before 5.2, but no longer. @Chris Jahn suggested to use the Custom Button node, but that works partially and  can mess up a program.

It would really be nice if  5.3 can bring back the previous operation of CONTROL.

PSA for those with older Gen 3 z-wave devices using 5.2.0 firmware and the Series 500 Dongle:

I had been having issues with several of my older z-wave devices.  It was impossible to communicate with some of them after the upgrade.  It turns out that MOST (but oddly not ALL) of my older Gen 3 z-wave devices no longer had an association group with the ISY.  I am not sure if that happened with the conversion to the Gen 5 z-wave Dongle, or with the upgrade to 5.2.0.  In any case, I was able to solve this by going to each of my Gen 3 devices and right clicking on them , selecting Z-Wave =>  Repair Links.  In all cases, this restored the ISY to device association and returned them to working just fine.   

You can also check to see if your devices have lost their association with the ISY by opening Event View, right clicking on the z-wave device, selecting Z-wave => Show Information in Event Viewer => Link Details.  It should show a single association to "Node 1 - [This ISY]"

18 minutes ago, blueman2 said:

PSA for those with older Gen 3 z-wave devices using 5.2.0 firmware and the Series 500 Dongle:

I had been having issues with several of my older z-wave devices.  It was impossible to communicate with some of them after the upgrade.  It turns out that MOST (but oddly not ALL) of my older Gen 3 z-wave devices no longer had an association group with the ISY.  I am not sure if that happened with the conversion to the Gen 5 z-wave Dongle, or with the upgrade to 5.2.0.  In any case, I was able to solve this by going to each of my Gen 3 devices and right clicking on them , selecting Z-Wave =>  Repair Links.  In all cases, this restored the ISY to device association and returned them to working just fine.   

You can also check to see if your devices have lost their association with the ISY by opening Event View, right clicking on the z-wave device, selecting Z-wave => Show Information in Event Viewer => Link Details.  It should show a single association to "Node 1 - [This ISY]"

The question I have is about the new nodes created by 5.2 .   It created more than new 100 nodes for my more than Zwave devices.  I have ISY Pro but may these new nodes make me exceed the maximum nr of nodes ?

26 minutes ago, asbril said:

The question I have is about the new nodes created by 5.2 .   It created more than new 100 nodes for my more than Zwave devices.  I have ISY Pro but may these new nodes make me exceed the maximum nr of nodes ?

Interesting.  I have about 25 active z-wave devices.  I already had a folder called "ZW Junk" that I put phantom nodes into.  That folder has about 30 nodes in it.  But in the conversion from 5.0.16 to 5.2.0, only a few more nodes were created.  Probably 3-5 of them?   

1 hour ago, blueman2 said:

Unfortunately this didn't do anything for my situation.  No changes.  Still the only neighbors are the ones that disappeared when I hit synchronize and then had to add again.

Soooo not looking forward to trying to exclude and add everything back.  I'm going to have to put a UPS and my ISY and a wireless network bridge in a backpack and walk around my house...get out the ladders for my floodlights.  Uggh...So I think I'm going to revert to where I was before for a while.  Maybe I'll try the next update in a couple of months.

I sure hope they can figure it out.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:54 PM, Bumbershoot said:

I too am having issues with the Schlage FE599, worked with 5.0.16c and the 300 zwave but having issues with it running 5.2.0 RC3 and the new 500 module.   The few other Z-Wave device are working but the lock is not.  I can get it to pair with the ISY within a few feet of it, however, once i return it to is normal location i can't get it work work.  There are other z-wave devices within a few feet of the lock. 

Anyone lose their ability to control their thermostats via Admin Console with this release? I am still able to make changes with my Agave interface and also through Google home but it won't do anything through the Admin Console. I have tried removing/re-adding thermostats to no avail....

cap.JPG

On 8/27/2020 at 4:29 PM, AStarink said:

I've just upgrade my 300 z-wave board to a 500. I only have 2 Schlage BE469NX locks but I'm unable to add them... I did place an Aeotec Range Extender 7 (ZW189) very close to the ISY and this one added without any problem to the ISY.. 

I'm running 5.2.0 (I upgrade from 5.1.0 and i'm not experiencing any of the issues that @thruster999 is experiencing - Polyglot is working fine)

Both my locks are ~ 20 feet from the ISY/Range Extender.

Any suggestions? Are they too far away? Locks too old? (I assume they are not ZW+ , but they worked with my 300 board)

If you are trying to re-add a BE469NX lock, then I would suggest you first exclude it from the ISY, then Factory Reset the lock (important), and then add it to the ISY again.

3 hours ago, Chris Jahn said:

If you are trying to re-add a BE469NX lock, then I would suggest you first exclude it from the ISY, then Factory Reset the lock (important), and then add it to the ISY again.

thanks for all the comments - I was finally able to add them, basically exclude them first (eg "Remove Z-wave device") and then add them. I used my ISY on a long ethernet couple to make sure it's within a couple feet of the locks in order to successfully do this.

I'm a happy 5.2.0 user right now! 

Next step is building a new node server for Polyglot to support my pool chemicals :-)

20 hours ago, Chris Jahn said:

Outstanding!  Thank you, that worked!

What does it mean when you have green arrow with |1011> next to a zwave node -- Schlage Deadbolt (BE469Z)?  I tried to move to 500 series board  yesterday (6 total nodes ) and I failed so reverted to 300 board and restored ISY backup to get rid of several phantom nodes.  After retuning to 3oo board and restoring, the net result was this lock would not function at all.  Finally excluded the node and reset lock to factory defaults , added it back and fixed all programs. I healed network and got things back in order as near as I could tell after spending off and on all day Friday working through it.  The last thing I did were heal a few times  and test and it appeared good.  I Was evaluating lock this morning and it will not respond to lock or unlock.   I didn't do anything to request it be updated like heal, sync, or repair since last night.

38 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

What does it mean when you have green arrow with |1011> next to a zwave node -- Schlage Deadbolt (BE469Z)? 

That means that there are updates waiting to be written to the lock.  It will have to be woken up in order for the updates to be written.

I have a 500 series board, and I had updates that needed to be written to the lock, for which the "Write Updates to Device" command always failed.  This morning I excluded the lock, factory reset it, included it, and it's back to working normally running 5.2.0.

That means that there are updates waiting to be written to the lock.  It will have to be woken up in order for the updates to be written.
I have a 500 series board, and I had updates that needed to be written to the lock, for which the "Write Updates to Device" command always failed.  This morning I excluded the lock, factory reset it, included it, and it's back to working normally running 5.2.0.

Thanks. I did that yesterday. It’s back again today.

I upgraded to 5.2.0 with a 300-series Z-Wave board by mistake (I thought I had a 300-series.  The instructions were not clear in the first post on how to figure out whether I had a 300-series or not).   So I ordered a 500-series and it's backordered and will be shipped in 9 days.   

In the meantime, I downgraded to 5.0.16C.  My Z-Wave network doesn't seem to work anymore.  If I try to turn on a dimmer switch, I get this error.

950757096_ScreenShot2020-09-05at2_38_31PM.png.9e3865685cf19e48d826656a6f72e60b.png

Is it not possible to downgrade from 5.2.0 ?  Is there a way for me to recover my Z-Wave network?

On 9/4/2020 at 1:35 PM, rebirth24 said:

Anyone lose their ability to control their thermostats via Admin Console with this release? I am still able to make changes with my Agave interface and also through Google home but it won't do anything through the Admin Console. I have tried removing/re-adding thermostats to no avail....

cap.JPG

I am able to use the thermostat through the AC, but I lost control of fan modes that I had before and it still shows strange behavior with the neighbors:

Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] ----------------------------------------------
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] Main_Floor_Thermostat
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] ZW006_1 uid=6 security=None type=4.8.6 mid=275 tid=17750 pid=21556
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x20  V1   BASIC
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x40  V1   THERMOSTAT_MODE
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x42  V1   THERMOSTAT_OPERATING_STATE
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x43  V2   THERMOSTAT_SETPOINT
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x44  V1   THERMOSTAT_FAN_MODE
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x45  V1   THERMOSTAT_FAN_STATE
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x70  V1   CONFIGURATION
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x31  V1   SENSOR_MULTILEVEL
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x86  V1   VERSION
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x72  V1   MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x85  V1   ASSOCIATION
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x2C  V1   SCENE_ACTUATOR_CONF
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x2B  V1   SCENE_ACTIVATION
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x73  V1   POWERLEVEL
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x81  V1   CLOCK
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] - Secure
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] Last working route from ISY to Node   6 - Main_Floor_Thermostat
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZWAVE-TX        ] [01123456789F]                          REQ ZW_GET_LAST_WORKING_ROUTE 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    - Node  23 - Plant Light
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:40 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZWAVE-TX        ] [01071234567890F18F]                    REQ ZW_GET_ROUTING_INFO 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZWAVE-TX        ] [01071234567890F28D]                    REQ ZW_GET_ROUTING_INFO 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZWAVE-TX        ] [01071234657891F38C]                    REQ ZW_GET_ROUTING_INFO 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] Node   6 - Main_Floor_Thermostat has the following neighbors
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -          - Node   3 - Front Door Lock
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZWAVE-TX ZW006_1] [85/05] Assoc Groupings Get ACK,AUTO,EXPLORE To=0x06
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZWAVE-RX ZW006_1] [85/06] Assoc Groupings Report supported=0x03 ACK,AUTO,EXPLORE From=0x06
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] Node   6 - Main_Floor_Thermostat has 3 association groups
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZWAVE-TX ZW006_1] [85/02] Assoc Get grp=0x01 ACK,AUTO,EXPLORE To=0x06
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZWAVE-RX ZW006_1] [85/03] Assoc Report grp=0x01 max=0x05 frames=0x00 nodes=0x01 ACK,AUTO,EXPLORE From=0x06
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    Associations for group 001 of ZW006_1 Main_Floor_Thermostat
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    Max Associations = 5 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]       - Node   1 - [This ISY] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:41 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZWAVE-TX ZW006_1] [85/02] Assoc Get grp=0x02 ACK,AUTO,EXPLORE To=0x06
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZWAVE-RX ZW006_1] [85/03] Assoc Report grp=0x02 max=0x05 frames=0x00 nodes=0x01 ACK,AUTO,EXPLORE From=0x06
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    Associations for group 002 of ZW006_1 Main_Floor_Thermostat
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    Max Associations = 5 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]       - Node   1 - [This ISY] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZWAVE-TX ZW006_1] [85/02] Assoc Get grp=0x03 ACK,AUTO,EXPLORE To=0x06
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZWAVE-RX ZW006_1] [85/03] Assoc Report grp=0x03 max=0x05 frames=0x00 nodes=0x01 ACK,AUTO,EXPLORE From=0x06
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    Associations for group 003 of ZW006_1 Main_Floor_Thermostat
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]    Max Associations = 5 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ]       - Node   1 - [This ISY] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] 
Sat 09/05/2020 04:32:42 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] ----------------------------------------------

The last working route isn't through the only neighbor and the only neighbor is a battery device.  On top of that it has three associations with the ISY.

Did you factory reset your thermostat after excluding it and before adding it again?  Not saying you should have to, but these upgrades aren't going smoothly so maybe that would make the difference?  Maybe clearing java cache?  Good luck.

27 minutes ago, jmwhite5 said:

Is it not possible to downgrade from 5.2.0 ?  Is there a way for me to recover my Z-Wave network?

I'm trying to Restore my ISY (I saw a bunch of config file parsing errors in the logs).  Fingers crossed.  

18 hours ago, hart2hart said:

Thanks. I did that yesterday. It’s back again today.

It looks like the "Write Updates to Device" icon is back on my lock this morning.  I can confirm that the functionality works -- I can change users, options, etc., successfully, so it appears to be operationally unaffected.

It looks like the "Write Updates to Device" icon is back on my lock this morning.  I can confirm that the functionality works -- I can change users, options, etc., successfully, so it appears to be operationally unaffected.

Thanks for update. I can do everything except lock, unlock and query from ISY. Confirm if they will work.

Lock sends status to ISY about locked, unlocked, usernum, and battery %.

I captured a log of an attempt to write updates to lock.  Log starts with "Write scene  Links....".  Anyone, what scenes could it be writing with ZWave deadbolt?   There is more to the log but not sure if security information may be in some of the long hex strings.

Sun 09/06/2020 10:48:13 AM : [UZW-CMD 51      ] [ZWCMD cmd.51]
Sun 09/06/2020 10:48:15 AM : [ZWAVE-WAKEUP  17] Force writes to ZW017_1
Sun 09/06/2020 10:48:15 AM : [ZWAVE-WAKEUP  17] Write Scene Links for awakened device ZW017_1

2 hours ago, hart2hart said:

Lock sends status to ISY about locked, unlocked, usernum, and battery %.

I saw this too. I could manually operate the locks and the status would be reflected in the AC, but ISY would still say it couldn't communicate with it and it seemed to be a one way communication.

Archived