Insteon being discontinued?

jimg

7 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

So, at the risk of getting flamed for not wanting to read 39 pages of posts to catch up, what's the net-net on the new Nokia branded products being compatible with the older Insteon brand products?

Insteon avoided my direct questions on it. They either do not know, or it's a secret reveal to come.

So, at the risk of getting flamed for not wanting to read 39 pages of posts to catch up, what's the net-net on the new Nokia branded products being compatible with the older Insteon brand products?

- Can be physically link no problem

- Can be added via ISY but some options are not available or present

- The new line will slowly release more core hardware no ETA

- Latest hardware allows firmware updates

- Multi LED color is present but can’t be changed - yet

- No clue if the hardware continues to use the same cheap electrical components

- No third party support from Smartlabs
3 hours ago, upstatemike said:

Applying this to home automation this is exactly why I have a lot of voice announcements to keep me apprised of what my automation systems are doing. I don't want my Insteon devices taking the house into a death spiral without some warning and a chance to intervene.

I never did buy into the idea of "just let the automation system do it's thing without any interaction from the occupants". Just seems that approach has the potential to end badly.

I'm the opposite. I want to automate as much as possible. I don't need notifications about what the system is doing since I programmed it to do it. I want notifications for what it's not able to do such as if the locks aren't working or doesn't lock.  If I'm going to spend more time confirming stuff happened, then i might as well continue doing stuff on my own. 

If automating something can cause more harm than it solves, then i don't automate it. Important stuff that is automated are still handled manually first. The system only kicks in when should we fail to do it outselves. For example, I'll still close my garage doors when I leave or come home. However, it's possible that I forget so that's when the system takes over. Same goes for door locks. 

1 hour ago, upstatemike said:

It will live on as long as Insteon does... so like 2 or 3 more weeks.

you should see if they can change your name to doomsdaymike ????

41 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

No one actually knows exactly.  When people start their nokia orders there will be entire threads devoted to it, (and why it doesn't work with an ISY, even tho we already know there are no plans to support it).

1 hour ago, Teken said:

- Can be physically link no problem

- Can be added via ISY but some options are not available or present

- The new line will slowly release more core hardware no ETA

- Latest hardware allows firmware updates

- Multi LED color is present but can’t be changed - yet

- No clue if the hardware continues to use the same cheap electrical components

- No third party support from Smartlabs

To clarify some of what Teken said, the Isy will add the devices as unsupported devices. What they are will not show up.

You can control devices from the console as far as turning them on, off, and dimming (dimmable devices). The Isy will not display status of the devices if manually controlled. 

Each switch can be a dimmer or a relay. You would not be able to switch modes. The kpl and dial, are both dimmers by default while the paddle is a relay so all would stay in their default mode.

I forgot to add that only the main button on the kpl shows up as well as only the main outlet on the dual outlet

4 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

To clarify some of what Teken said, the Isy will add the devices as unsupported devices. What they are will not show up.

You can control devices from the console as far as turning them on, off, and dimming (dimmable devices). The Isy will not display status of the devices if manually controlled. 

Each switch can be a dimmer or a relay. You would not be able to switch modes. The kpl and dial, are both dimmers by default while the paddle is a relay so all would stay in their default mode.

Will they respond to a query command from the ISY?

larryllix.  I just went through a museum in Minden Nebraska that probably had 200 cars back to the very begging until around the model year 1971. I owned 4 of those cars from the early 50's to 1971.  

I saw a Vega and a Pinto and also some more reliable ones.  One sign on some early 1900 cars said tools were very important since you spent as much time fixing as driving.

Would I want a car without computer chips, probably not.  I hated changing points, distributor caps, plugs and wires and using a timing light. Before we left home I checked the oil only out a 72 year old's habit.  

My first new car cost me $4,000.  My last one $20,000.   Sports car - GTO  for $4k and basic transportation for $20k - Corolla.  In between a 280ZX.  Oh.  This thread is about Insteon?  Sorry I got distracted 

Archived