Default e-mail Authentication & Server Issues?

sdynak

Hi there everyone!

Hope you had a great Christmas..

I was wondering if anyone else are not receiving the Default e-mails/notifications. I get a "Mail Server Failure / Unsupported Authentication Method" when I try to run a test. 

I have not changed anything on the ISY and was wondering if anyone else are using the default server and having the same issues. 

Thanks & Happy Holidays to all!

Stan

3 minutes ago, MrBill said:

There have been default mail server issues.

According to this post the server is back online, but now requires credentials.:

Contact support@universal-devices.com as I believe they are issuing the required credentials on an as-needed basis.

Thank you.. I have been wrapped up in the holidays I didn't realize how long they were not working. I added my g-mail for now and a test is working so I'll review this post and see what is the best direction for me or leave it now. I know Michel recommended for security reasons to use our own in the past so I might just leave it. 

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Text notices stopped (via email to tmomail.net) working for me about a month ago. Just getting around to investigating. ;)

Had been using default SMTP settings, so thought entering them might work, but no. I get "Mail server failure - Password not accepted". I've typed and retyped it very carefully, and tried ctrl-v. I changed my pw on gmail just to be sure I have the right one.

Test message to isyalerts@gmail.com didn't work, either.

6 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Text notices stopped (via email to tmomail.net) working for me about a month ago. Just getting around to investigating. ;)

Had been using default SMTP settings, so thought entering them might work, but no. I get "Mail server failure - Password not accepted". I've typed and retyped it very carefully, and tried ctrl-v. I changed my pw on gmail just to be sure I have the right one.

Test message to isyalerts@gmail.com didn't work, either.

Make sure you follow this especially for g-mail with less security or it will not work. 

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY994:Configure_Mail_Server_Settings#Configuring_gmail_Account

I have 2 ism's. one on a Comcast/xfinity modem.  The other on an at&t hot spot that does not have a fixed IP.

I guess it has a cellular IP.   gmail will not sent from at&t.  I move the one ISY to the Comcast network and it works.

Any other way around this?   Why did the default mechanism stop working?

UD turned it off?  It stopped working at both of my locations

@berko Sorry that your setup isn't working with the hotspot. It might be that it's not an always on connection so trying to send messages while the connection isn't on/strong could be an issue. Or AT&T is blocking some SMTP relay ports. 

Did you take a minute to read @MrBill linked thread above? You should specifically read this post:

It specifically says if you want/need to use the alternative email you need to contact support @ universal-devices . com (remove the spaces) to get setup security credentials. 

Good luck getting notifications working again. Take a moment to help yourself by reading what others have attempted. 

Damn spammers ruin nice things for many of us. Sign of the times.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Eric said:

I was able to get gmailSMTP working with the less secure applications going to my gmail.  However mailing to nnnnnnnnnn@vtext.com is not working to send a text to my cell phone.   Any thoughts ?

Hopefully you created a separate gmail account just for the ISY to send from.   If 10dig@vtext isn't working, but you can send the same elsewhere then the problem is likely on verizon's side.   You can also try number@vzwpix.com which is the MMS gateway as opposed to the SMS gateway.  The MMS gateway will still accept just text.... (and I don't know how it is at verizon but at @att it's better to use the MMS gateway).

I'm not sure what the magic was,  but today Verizon text it working. Maybe Verizon or maybe my VPN.  I used the 'less secure app' at Gmail,  but I will be setting up a new account and moving to that today now that I know how to make it work.  Thanks for the info on the MMS gateway idea.

Archived