Program problems...help please

calberrt

Hi all.  Recently switched to 5.3 and am having issues with a program I’m trying to run for lights. 

here is the theory: I’d like my kitchen lights to come on at 5:00am at 20% and then at set times increase as I wake up.

here are the programs that I use.  There is one scene -am kitchen lights and I adjust the on percentages and ramp rate before turning on the scene again at a later time

if time is 5am

then

set individual devices in scene to on rate of 20% and ramp rate of 2 min
    wait 2 minutes 

Set scene “am kitchen lights” on

the program is repeated with the same steps above turning the lights on at 60% and 100% with same fade up rates at 6:00 and 7:00am

on the 7:00 am program,  I have an extra line saying to “run program then path “am kitchen light reset”” which is as follows

in scene “amkitchenlights”

set devices in scene back to 20% and 2 min ramp rate.

There are no other lines in this program

the problem I am having is that this runs fine one day then the next day,  the lights don’t initially turn on at 5 at 20% but at 100%.  Can anyone help me out with the programming aspect of this.

thanks

I agree with @lilyoyo1, seeing your programs would be helpful but most likely interference.  

Rather than adjusting one scene, I use different scenes to accomplish similar to what you are doing.  In my case I just use two scenes and it's in my bedroom.  The first, "Morning", is an extremely slow ramp rate and only goes to 60%.  The 2nd one is a my normal scene for my bedroom.  You could obviously add more scenes as desired.

Morning Rise-work - [ID 002C][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  4:55:00AM
    And 'Kitchen / Under Cabinet' Status is Off
    And $Vacation is not 1
    And $Occupy is 1
    And $Work_Schedule is 1
    And $S_Awake is 0

Then
        Set 'Morning' On
        Wait  5 minutes 
        Set 'Master BR - All' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

• Like 1

I agree with @Screw Loose Dan , I would not adjust scene, but create multiple scenes. 

Also I agree that you should post your actual programs rather than type your interpretation of them...  But if you knew how to do that you would have done it because its faster and easier.....  to copy a program into the forum click the program name, then right click... the very bottom item on the context menu is "copy to clipboard", choose that, then paste it into your post by right clicking and picking paste or just typing control-V.

• Like 1

sorry guys..still relatively new at this but have been kicking around for a while.  Moved to a new house and am working on setting up everything the way our family wants it.

@MrBill - thanks for the directions on copying programs...here they are

Wakeup Lights - [ID 000E][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  5:00:00AM

Then
             Set 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Fade Up

Else

Wakeup Lights Later - [ID 0013][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  6:00:00AM

Then
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead A' To 60% in 3.0 minutes
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead B' To 60% in 3.0 minutes
        Wait  1 minute 
        Set 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Fade Up

Else

Wakeup Lights Breakfast - [ID 0014][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  6:50:00AM

Then
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead A' To 100% in 1.0 minute
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead B' To 100% in 1.0 minute
        Wait  1 minute 
        Set 'Kitchen Island' Fade Up

Else

then at 9 AM, I turn them off and the reset program should kick in

Wakeup Lights Off - [ID 0015][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  9:00:00AM

Then
        Set 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Fade Down
        Wait  20 minutes 
        Run Program 'Wakeup Lights Reset' (Then Path)
        Stop program 'Wakeup Lights Off'

Else

Wakeup Lights Reset - [ID 001B][Parent 0001]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead A' To 20% in 2.0 minutes
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead B' To 20% in 2.0 minutes
        Wait  5 minutes 
        Stop program 'Wakeup Lights Reset'

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

THanks Guys!
Else

31 minutes ago, calberrt said:

sorry guys..still relatively new at this but have been kicking around for a while.  Moved to a new house and am working on setting up everything the way our family wants it.

@MrBill - thanks for the directions on copying programs...here they are

Wakeup Lights - [ID 000E][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  5:00:00AM

Then
             Set 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Fade Up <<<< try “on” rather than “fade”

Else

Wakeup Lights Later - [ID 0013][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  6:00:00AM

Then
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead A' To 60% in 3.0 minutes
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead B' To 60% in 3.0 minutes
        Wait  1 minute 
        Set 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' fade up  on<<< i would chage this to “on”.  Not sure effect of “fade” command on a scene

Else

Wakeup Lights Breakfast - [ID 0014][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  6:50:00AM

Then
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead A' To 100% in 1.0 minute
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead B' To 100% in 1.0 minute
        Wait  1 minute 
        Set 'Kitchen Island' Fade Up  on <<<< same here

Else

then at 9 AM, I turn them off and the reset program should kick in

Wakeup Lights Off - [ID 0015][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  9:00:00AM

Then
        Set 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Fade Down  off
        Wait  20 minutes 
        Run Program 'Wakeup Lights Reset' (Then Path)
        Stop program 'Wakeup Lights Off' <<<< unsure of the purpose of this action

Else

Wakeup Lights Reset - [ID 001B][Parent 0001]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead A' To 20% in 2.0 minutes
        In 'Kitchen Morning Wakeup' Set 'Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen Overhead B' To 20% in 2.0 minutes
        Wait  5 minutes 
        Stop program 'Wakeup Lights Reset' <<<< not sure of the purpose of this action, nor the one before it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

THanks Guys!
Else

Notes added above.  Am unsure if this is your problem, but it caught my attention.

As far as troubleshooting techniques, have you tried manually running each program (then path) to see if they actually do what you want?  Do you know how to do this?

I am also unclear: is this a program that used to work, but now does not since the upgrade to 5.3?

For what it is worth, Imwould also tend to do this with multiple scenes:  Less read/write to devices.  This has the potential to extend the life of your devices and provides fewer opportunities for communication problems to arise.

thanks for the advice guys.  Much appreciated.  I'm going to switch my plan to using scenes rather than adjusting the scene within the program.  this should simplify everything as i'll then just use programs to turn on the scene rather than adjusting the devices within the scene.

Follow up - when switching between scenes using a program, do I need to turn one scene off and the other on or will the new one override the old one?

Edited by calberrt
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, calberrt said:

Follow up - when switching between scenes using a program, do I need to turn one scene off and the other on or will the new one override the old one?

If the old and new scenes contain the same devices, I see no reason to turn the old scene off.  The new scene levels will override the old levels.

• Like 1