Echo and dimming scene

mcisar

I had been trying to reconcile some issues with having my echo turn on/off devices and dimming them when they were members of a scene.  Essentially if I can recall the original issue was that when the scene was added to Alexa as a scene, I could control on/off but not dim/bright at all.  At some point someone had suggested that when adding to my echo I should add the scene, but add it as a device instead.  This has solved 99% of the problem but I'm left with one glitch... hoping someone can tell me whether it's just something I've done, or a hiccup in the iSY/Alexa integration.

On and off both work as expected, dim and brighten seem to do their thing by roughly 10% per hit so that's fine as well.   However the one hiccup that I see is that if the device is off and I tell Alexa living room light 50% I don't get 50%.  It seems that anything value 50% and above turns the light (scene) on at 100% and anything 49% and below gives 0%.  

So in order to get the light to 50% I end up having to tell Alexa to turn it on, and then tell it 5 or 6 times to dim to get it where I need/want it.

Thoughts?

• 5 months later...

@mcisar, question, I have been having trouble with this as well, and previously was using mobilinc portal to communicate with alexa... I switched over to the isy portal, and through this, i end up getting duplicate entries for scenes etc, where mobilinc if i did another discover, did not get duplicates (but never took the time to try to dim/brighten). I have only been using the Isy portal for a couple weeks now, and every time I try to make a change, I have to do a forget all/discover to keep from getting duplicate entries. I still cannot get dim/brighten to work, and I have tried scene, device, ensuring light is selected etc. 

Are you writing programs for the dim/brighten to work, or are you just using the device and importing it via the portal to Alexa? are you specifying a single device, or specifying the scene as a device? the reason why i am asking, say you have 3 devices linked as a scene due to 3-way switch locations, if you specify only a specific device, do you have to make sure it is the one that has the load wire connected? other than unscrewing the devices from the wall to identify which ones have the load connected, I dont know another way to determine which one is the primary device because I started my Insteon installation about 8 years ago, and I am finally trying to complete it.

1 hour ago, brysonlndg said:

@mcisar, question, I have been having trouble with this as well, and previously was using mobilinc portal to communicate with alexa... I switched over to the isy portal, and through this, i end up getting duplicate entries for scenes etc, where mobilinc if i did another discover, did not get duplicates (but never took the time to try to dim/brighten). I have only been using the Isy portal for a couple weeks now, and every time I try to make a change, I have to do a forget all/discover to keep from getting duplicate entries. I still cannot get dim/brighten to work, and I have tried scene, device, ensuring light is selected etc. 

Are you writing programs for the dim/brighten to work, or are you just using the device and importing it via the portal to Alexa? are you specifying a single device, or specifying the scene as a device? the reason why i am asking, say you have 3 devices linked as a scene due to 3-way switch locations, if you specify only a specific device, do you have to make sure it is the one that has the load wire connected? other than unscrewing the devices from the wall to identify which ones have the load connected, I dont know another way to determine which one is the primary device because I started my Insteon installation about 8 years ago, and I am finally trying to complete it.

Did you clear your entries in alexa from your mobilinc setup prior to switching over to the portal? If not this may be why you're getting duplicate entries.

If you are specifying a device in a 3 way, then yes, you must specify the device that is attached to the light otherwise you would control your switches and not the light

You do not have to unscrew the devices from the wall to find the load bearing switch. Turn your light on, and then air gap the switches. Whichever causes the light to go off is the load.

Actually I did not clear those out (it was my understanding the MobiLinc portal used the spoken names inside the admin console, and the ud portal used only the spoken names entered via their web portal. I will take the local ones out and see what happens. Ty for this suggestion. And ty for the air gap suggestion… I didn’t even think about that! Lol

Archived