KPL Switch out question

andrew77

I have a KPL (old version) that doesn't respond to Alexa well most of the time.

Heres a bit of history

Anyhow, I've purchased another KPL and I know theres a specific order in which to switch out the old for the new and I don't want to screw it up.

I searched on the forum but couldn't find the posting detailing the exact steps.

If someone can point me to it that would be great.

Drew

23 minutes ago, andrew77 said:

I have a KPL (old version) that doesn't respond to Alexa well most of the time.

Heres a bit of history

Anyhow, I've purchased another KPL and I know theres a specific order in which to switch out the old for the new and I don't want to screw it up.

I searched on the forum but couldn't find the posting detailing the exact steps.

If someone can point me to it that would be great.

Drew

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Replacing_a_Device

there is the wiki article.  

Basically if the old device is in a folder move it to the root level first.

add the new device to the isy.

click the old device in the tree

right click and choose replace device and pick the new device from that context menu.

the caveat is that both devices should be powered up.  I usually power the new device with a temp cord that plugs in, factory reset it, add to the ISY, do the replace. then go install the new switch in place of the old after the ISY is happy.

4 minutes ago, gzahar said:

Does the old device really have to be powered? Seems like that limits the use of replacing a device that has completely died.

I believe writes links to both devices, if the old device is DOA I suppose that those will fail? meaning the writes will take longer.

If you follow the link MrBill provided.

Just click on the old one in the Administrative Console and pick the replacement as the module used to replace the old on. No it does not have to be powered up or even still installed. The ISY994i writes all the needed new links into the KPL and replaces the old modules ID with the new modules ID. Where ever it needs to be changed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:40 PM, Brian H said:

If you follow the link MrBill provided.

Just click on the old one in the Administrative Console and pick the replacement as the module used to replace the old on. No it does not have to be powered up or even still installed. The ISY994i writes all the needed new links into the KPL and replaces the old modules ID with the new modules ID. Where ever it needs to be changed.

I followed these directions and everything worked perfectly.

I do see now that Alexa says she doesn't recognize the device.

Is there fix for that?

4 hours ago, andrew77 said:

I followed these directions and everything worked perfectly.

I do see now that Alexa says she doesn't recognize the device.

Is there fix for that?

You need to have the device installed with an Alexa based name in the ISY Portal table. Then you can "discover" it with Alexa.

Check your ISY Portal app table to see if it is installed and by what name.

Archived