Thermostat GUI Bug

rlebel

Hi rlebel,

It's on our list to remove the Fan mode from the GUI since the thermostat does not even support it.

With kind regards,

Michel

The new thermostat page is great, BUT, once you turn the fan on you can't tun it off. "Fan" is not a mode like "Heat" or "Cool" but rather is an independant control that is On or Off.

Hi rlebel,

iLinc supports all of the available options provided by the ISY interface. Currently the only options iLinc has to control the fan on the thermostat is either On or Auto which is the same through the GUI on firmware 2.7.6. ISY does not provide a way to turn the fan off due to a limitation in the Insteon adapter (as is my understanding and what Michel was aluding to).

Wes

You are correct, the choices are "On" or "Auto", not "Off". However, in ISY the "On" and "Auto" settings are properly supported as an independant control. In iLinc you treat the fan control as another mode, along with "Heat", "Cool" etc. So I can turn the Fan "On" but cannot turn it back to "Auto".

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi rlebel,

In iLinc if you tap Mode under your thermostat control, you are correct; you can set the thermostat to "Fan" mode.

If you tap Fan State under your thermostat control you have independent control over the fan regardless of the Mode and can independently set the fan to On or Auto. This is consistent with the ISY GUI implementation.

Can you further clarify the problem you are seeing?

Wes

Wes, my biggest problem is that I am moving into the place where I have installed all the Insteon stuff and sometimes I post when I am not there to look closely at it! The next problem is that now I see that ISY and iLinc indeed have one problem in common, which I guess is what Michel referred to: Fan should not be in the list of modes, it should only be in the Auto/On toggle that is provided both by iLinc and by the ISY administrative console. Fan On/Auto is not a mode on the thermostat.

I also note that the ISY Devices GUI does not provide a proper interface for the Auto/On Fan operation (at least it does not in version 2.7.6).

As for the iLinc GUI, it would I think be nicer if the Fan Auto/On was a toggle instead of a sub-menu. Also, I believe that when you query the thermostat you should read both the Heat and Cool setpoints, regardless of the mode. Now it appears that it only queires the setpoint(s) appropriate to the current mode, although it (properly) displays both setpoints at all times.

Hi rlebel,

Not a problem, there has been some confusion in the past (and present) as to specificially all the features the thermostat Insteon interface supports.

I strive to make iLinc consistent with how the ISY operates. Once a firmware version is released that removes the Fan option from the list of modes, I will also remove that option from iLinc.

Thank you for your input to the fan state. I will add the toggle button option as a feature request for the fan state and see if it makes sense to implement the fan state in that fashion.

When you tap the Query button, iLinc sends the query request to the ISY for that device. iLinc listens for all subscription status responses. I have seen where ISY does not send all status updates for all setpoints in certian modes. It seems that Auto and Program Auto work consistently. I don't know if this is a bug, or becuase of the mode, a design decision. Perhaps Michel could offer some insight.

Wes

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Fan shall be removed from the thermostat mode list.

Hopefully this will be done in the official 2.7.7 beta release.

With kind regards,

Michel

I obviously am not a developer, but I have been working with Jayson who makes the eKeypad ISY iPhone app and have been using the iLinc Pro iPhone apps.

I was testing Jayson's new app when I encountered a pop-up explaining that the fan mode change is not supported, which he received an indication from you guys. I have been able to successfully change the fan mode using iLinc Pro iPhone application without any problems with the iLinc Pro applciaiton configured to my ISY-99i Pro IR unit.

So how can you say that the Venstar TStat doesn't support it and thyat it doesn't work?

Perhaps someone can explain to me what part of fan mode doesn't work?

Hello elvisimprsntr,

The newer thermostat firmware support fan mode changes. Please note that what we are talking about is the Fan within the Mode drop down. That listing may go away.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Since I bought my Venstar less than 6 months ago, is that why my tstat responds to fan mode changes. How does one know or update the firmware in the Venstar tstat? or are you refering to the ISY firmware?

Thanks again in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've released version 2.11 to Apple this weekend. In the update I've removed the Thermostat Mode "Fan" from the Thermostat Mode list as indicated by Michel. You still have the option to turn the fan either "On" or "Auto" from the thermostat page.

Look for the update to be approved by Apple in the next two weeks.

Wes

Archived