3-way switch with 5 switches. Alternative to insteon

DPorter01

Hello,

I have several insteon devices connected to my ISY.  The issue I am having is with a hallway that has 5 switches that control the lights.  I don't want to buy 5 insteon dimmer switches a $50 a pop.  I have the "ISY-994i ZW+ Pro: Z-Wave Plus Certified/INSTEON/X10".  Will Z-wave be cheaper for the 5 switches?  If so, how?

Just now, DPorter01 said:

Hello,

I have several insteon devices connected to my ISY.  The issue I am having is with a hallway that has 5 switches that control the lights.  I don't want to buy 5 insteon dimmer switches a $50 a pop.  I have the "ISY-994i ZW+ Pro: Z-Wave Plus Certified/INSTEON/X10".  Will Z-wave be cheaper for the 5 switches?  If so, how?

Not necessarily but it can potentially be cheaper. It all depends on how close your isy is to the switches (if it can talk directly). If it cannot, by the time you buy repeaters you could potentially be at the same price point.

You would just get a ge enbrigthen zwave switch and add 4 ge add on switches. Other companies have similar setups as well.

32 minutes ago, DPorter01 said:

Hello,

Get an Insteon MS and create a scene with one SwitchLinc dimmer that controls the bulbs. Get an alexa speaker that you can dim the bulb to anything you want. Much cheaper and the combinations are unlimited. Add more SwitchLinc dimmers later, if desired.

4 minutes ago, DPorter01 said:

Thanks for your response Larry: 

Insteon MS = Insteon Motion Sensor?  If I use your proposed solution doesn't that mean every switch wired into the circuit that is not Insteon will be able to turn light off/on?

While this is the cheapest and does have alot of flexibility, it is also limiting and depending on family, could potential cause more problems than it solves. While I'm big on full automation I do believe the home should have the basic functionality in the home should it fail. 

4 hours ago, DPorter01 said:

Thanks for your response Larry: 

Insteon MS = Insteon Motion Sensor?  If I use your proposed solution doesn't that mean every switch wired into the circuit that is not Insteon will be able to turn light off/on?

No. With a motion detector you would likely never have to touch the switch again. ISY can set the On level at certain times of the day for the MS or the SwitchLinc on the wall.

I touch very few wall switches anymore. With a few different lighting scenes in my Gathering Room, I can only effect about 6 different levels on the one wall switch. I use Alexa for all the colours, festive themes,and various white levels, as well as off. If that fails the SwitchLinc dimmer can perform the major scenes levels including 15 WiFi RGBWW bulbs and strips around the room on  cabinet tops etc.

IOW I would spend the money on one Insteon SwicthLinc to run the lighting, cap off the rest of the 5 way and install an MS in the room at a key place. Then I would use my 12 Alexa boxes to control special levels. Inthe end lighting only needs about 5 levels anyway. Full, Dim, Very Dim, Off = 100%, 40%, 20%, 10-12%, 0%.

Archived