Wake on Lan Question

garybixler

Hi all

I have the wake on LAN working, but I use a password to log on to Windows user 'Admin'. The password is required if using remote access. I was wondering if it was possible or not to boot up the PC from wake on LAN even though a password is required? I tried adding the password in the isy's wol configuration, but I think that is for something different. Thanks in advance.

Gary

Wake On LAN (WOL) will not log into your computer. It simply functions as a tool to wake your computer from sleep. Check out Wikipedia's article on how it works for details.

Essentially, it just sends a specially formatted packet (Magic Packet) to your network interface (NIC). If the NIC is powered up and configured to pay attention to the packet, it will wake your computer up. At that point, the job is done.

WOL does not use remote access. It's not a two-way conversation. It's just a simple "alternative" to having someone physically press a button on the keyboard or mouse or hit the power button on your machine. If you want to configure your machine to automagically log in, you'll need to set that up separately. I believe that this KB article works on all versions of Windows since XP.

Archived