Weird interaction when setting up exclusive button group?

andrew67

OK,  So I simplified it to ONE Controller, and ONE Responder button.

On the controller keypad.....  Pressing the button turns on the responder's button when it gets lit.  The setting on the Responder in ISY can be On or Off, it doesn't matter.  The buttons always are in sync On at the controller is On at the responder.

I went in and looked at what is going on in the devices...  here's the controller table.  You can see link #7 is telling it to talk to the responder

image.png.a587bc6210c5ffa1a23745bd51db0c79.png

Here's the responder's link table when the setting is On

image.png.28061e012b70c0967b6ff7ab0b02bc9d.png

Here's the table when its set to Off

image.png.6247a2b9a989592bc8e5e46cf88c062f.png

As you can see Byte 6 in Link 7 changes.  

The Keypad ignores the setting apparently

@lilyoyo1 the reason that I don't think it's so much the toggle vs non-toggle is because my mutually exclusive buttons were setup and working for a long time with the buttons still being set to toggle.  I simply didn't realize for a really long time to make them non-toggle, and I always kinda half hated that you could turn off the button that was on, but I accepted that... then one day I realized I could make them non-toggle and have them work exactly as I always thought they should.  The funny part is I knew non-toggle existed, I've used that for area "all off" buttons since the beginning.  (most of the H buttons in my house are non-toggle "all off" for the area you're leaving.)

6 hours ago, MrBill said:

@lilyoyo1 the reason that I don't think it's so much the toggle vs non-toggle is because my mutually exclusive buttons were setup and working for a long time with the buttons still being set to toggle.  I simply didn't realize for a really long time to make them non-toggle, and I always kinda half hated that you could turn off the button that was on, but I accepted that... then one day I realized I could make them non-toggle and have them work exactly as I always thought they should.  The funny part is I knew non-toggle existed, I've used that for area "all off" buttons since the beginning.  (most of the H buttons in my house are non-toggle "all off" for the area you're leaving.)

You may be right. I've never liked the toggle modes to see how they react to different variables to know for certain. At least he has something to go off of in order to get going. He can easily set up the scene properly and if that still doesn't work out the kpls back into non toggle mode to see what happens

18 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

The isy allows him to use 1 scene since they are still their own controllers within that scene. I do the same with my upstairs lights. The 4 locations that turns on those lights together are all controllers in 1 scene. However, the behavior is different depending on which button i hit. With that said, the scene isn't setup to be mutually exclusive so it doesn't cause any other issues.

AHHH I just learned a new way....

On 3/19/2021 at 3:14 PM, andrew67 said:

The Keypad ignores the setting apparently

That seems unlikely.  A core function of any Insteon device is to read and execute the instructions within its Links Table.  Is it possible that something else is overriding the link (i.e. it goes off but then something else turns it on)?  The two keypads are linked to each other.  They should execute without the ISY's help.  Have you tried unplugging the ISY and testing your keypads?  That would insure that the results you're seeing truly are being caused by the devices themselves.

I took the keypads off of my network, and put them on battery powered inverter.  The result is the same.  The keypad ignores the setting.  Note that these are old, and not dual band, so there is no RF connection.

I have a new keypad coming to try out.

Archived