Garage Door and Power Failure.

mpf541

I have a simple program that works to close my garage door. I am using the I/O Linc - INSTEON Garage Door Control & Status Kit Item# 74551. It is set up according to the directions and by the article on the wiki. I have a kplc inside the house and it show the status properly. I made this program to close the doo if I have left it open.

If

Status "Garge Door (Sensor)" is On

Then

Wait 4 minutes

Set "garage Door (Relay)" On

This works properly and closes the door.

The problem I am having is if there is a power failure or I reboot the ISY99i It starts to run the then option for that program automatically and then opens the door. This would not be to bad if it would then close it but the status for the program then stays true and it never closes the door.How do I get it to stop opening the door after a reboot or before it checks after the wait how do I get it to check the door status again before it sets the relay on. I really want the door to stay closed. I don't understand why the ISY runs the program and opens it.

Hi mpf541,

Apologies for the inconvenience. When ISY starts, it automatically does a query of the system (unless you disable this feature in the Configuration/System tab in the bottom left corner box). Now, the main issue is that, unfortunately so, the IOLinc query ALWAYS returns the status of the relay instead of the sensor. This causes major issues after power failure since, in most cases, after power outage the relay is on (sometimes it does not hold its previous state) while the sensor is not shorted.

We have already notified SH of this issue and we are tracking it. At the moment, the only thing I can suggest is the following:

1. Create an All Scene which excludes the IOLinc

2. In the Query All program, replace My Lighting with the All Scene

3. Create a new program which is run at start up and which CLOSES your garage door regardless of its state

With kind regards,

Michel

I have a simple program that works to close my garage door. I am using the I/O Linc - INSTEON Garage Door Control & Status Kit Item# 74551. It is set up according to the directions and by the article on the wiki. I have a kplc inside the house and it show the status properly. I made this program to close the doo if I have left it open.

If

Then

Wait 4 minutes

The problem I am having is if there is a power failure or I reboot the ISY99i It starts to run the then option for that program automatically and then opens the door. This would not be to bad if it would then close it but the status for the program then stays true and it never closes the door.How do I get it to stop opening the door after a reboot or before it checks after the wait how do I get it to check the door status again before it sets the relay on. I really want the door to stay closed. I don't understand why the ISY runs the program and opens it.

Hi mpf541,

In the HowTo section, I posted a copy of my own garage door manager. It is very long and complex, but does not have this problem. It will close the door if you leave it open and should the ISY reboot, the door will remain closed. I just did a few manual reboot of my ISY last week for troubleshooting communication issues and the garage door never open as an answer to that.

As Michel explained it, the ISY does a "Query" on boot up, and that turns your door checker true, so it starts the relay. My program's complex structure is exactly designed for that kind of situation.

You are free to use it and modify it for your needs. Be careful when you open / close your door automatically,

JacquesB

Hello all,

Just a note on the issue of querying the IOLinc's sensor. SH engineering team let us know that:

Only IOLinc versions 31+ (92+ for betas) posses the capability of returning the status of the sensor when queried. As such, if you do not have these versions of IOLincs, please do note that a query will always return the status of the relay and never the sensor.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi mvprj84,

I do have a version 36 here as well which works perfectly. The status of the sensor is not impacted by the status of the relay. I am using 2.7.7 ... just to be in synch, I do recommend upgrading to 2.7.7, removing your IOLinc from ISY, and then adding it back in. If this does not work, then I suspect you might have to get a replacement unit.

With kind regards,

Michel

So I upgraded to 2.7.7 (I guessed the download URL, hope you don't mind), and still had the same trouble. What ended up resolving it for me, however, was unchecking the "trigger off" option in the settings for the relay/sensor. This ended up reversing the detection signal (eg. "on" used to represent the garage being opened, but now represents being closed), but all queries maintain the correct status of the sensor.

I just want to say Michel that you are doing an unbelievable job here in the forum. Your prompt responses help encourage an active community. I'm actually writing an article on the ISY99i and some accompanying devices, and will be sure to point out this forum as an excellent resource. Hopefully we can drive some sales your way (we're not huge, but do have about 70k feed readers).

Thanks again.

Hello mvprj84,

I just tested the status issue with both Trigger On/Off (reverse) and in both cases the status of the sensor was independent of the status of the relay. I am using Latch (continuous mode). This does not make sense at all and I would like to get to the bottom of it. Would you be kind enough to retest with Trigger option in reverse?

And, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for your warm words. I do appreciate it very much and I must tell you that you just made my day! When your review is ready, would you be kind enough to send a link to our support (support@universal-devices.com) so that we can include it in our Wiki.

Thanks and with kind regards,

Michel

If I understand correctly, I believe the issue is that when TriggerOff is checked the results of a query are not as you expect. The EZIO products show this same behavior, and as far as I know the IOLinc is the same.

Basically, TriggerOff reverses the INSTEON command sent when the state of the sensor changes, but does NOT change the result returned when the sensor is queried.

For example, depending on the door sensor you have the IOLinc may show ON when your door is closed (which, in mosts cases, is not what you'd prefer). Checking TriggerOff reverses the command sent when the sensor state changes, but when the device is queried it will STILL show ON when your door is closed.

The best solution would be to get a difference sensor. I use this sensor, which you can use as either normally open or normally closed:

http://www.smarthome.com/7455B/Garage-D ... -3-/p.aspx

Hmmm... still seems to have that problem anytime the "Trigger Off" is checked. Here's a picture of what the options look like when I'm having issues:

KYOeR.jpg

And I'm using this kit from SmartHome, which is basically what MikeB referenced (except mine included the IOLinc).

http://www.smarthome.com/74551/I-O-Linc ... Kit/p.aspx

I've played around with it for about an hour to try and get some solid info I could give you on what's going on, but it's rather puzzling to me. All I know is that if I enable the "Trigger Off" feature it will always set the status to "on" when queried.

I followed the instructions on the wiki and they didn't seem to resolve anything.

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... e_Door_Kit

I'm not sure how this affects things, but I don't have any physical buttons tied to the garage door (my focus is on using the iPhone/iPod for controlling these things). For that reason I didn't create the scenes you had mentioned in the wiki article. I thought maybe that was the issue for some reason, but even after creating them I still got the same results when "Trigger Off" was enabled.

Now, I should also forewarn you that I'm not exactly an instruction-reading kind of person, but am fairly technical. So when setting this up I looked at the wiring diagram to figure out what wires to connect to which ports on the IOLinc unit, looked at the pretty screenshots on your wiki article to determine configuration settings, and it seemed like it was working (until the overnight query) so I left it at that. I went back and looked at the instruction paper and I noticed that it talked about holding the set button down on the thing like 20 times, but I'm hoping I accomplished the same thing by going through the ISY interface.

I'm content with the way it's working right now, but am more than willing to do whatever I can to help figure out the issue if you still want a stab at it. If a more real-time conversation would be easier just let me know and I can email you my IM address.

Hello Michel and mvprj84,

If I am following this post correctly I had the same problem with my garage door / IO Linc setup. The v.36 I/O Linc is supposed to retain the “Trigger Off†check box memory after a power interruption, previous versions didn’t. But when I linked it to the ISY and set up the links to some KPL buttons I found the I/O Linc wouldn’t retain memory.

However Steve Lee from SH informed me that you have to manually link the sensor to your responder/s before linking to the ISY, then you can link the I/O to the ISY.

After following his advice the trigger off box stays checked after power interruptions.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks so very much for the update which I am sure is quite helpful to others.

My main question is: if you have the Trigger Off (reverse) checked, does the Relay status equal to the Sensor status OR are they independent? This is the main issue which we are currently waiting for an answer on.

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel and mvprj84,

If I am following this post correctly I had the same problem with my garage door / IO Linc setup. The v.36 I/O Linc is supposed to retain the “Trigger Off” check box memory after a power interruption, previous versions didn’t. But when I linked it to the ISY and set up the links to some KPL buttons I found the I/O Linc wouldn’t retain memory.

However Steve Lee from SH informed me that you have to manually link the sensor to your responder/s before linking to the ISY, then you can link the I/O to the ISY.

After following his advice the trigger off box stays checked after power interruptions.

Tim

I turned off the Query now and it did stop it from opening after a power failure or rboot. But I am a little new to this and I am not having any luck with your sugestions

3. Create a new program which is run at start up and which CLOSES your garage door regardless of its state

I tried To use JacquesB program But I am not having any luck with as I only have one keypad linc. His looks like it needs 2. All I want it to have the door come down if we forget to close it. I got that part working just fine but if if querys the system it starts running the program and I an not sure how to do your sugestions. Sorry I am a newbie at this. Are there any better directions for this any where?

Thanks

Mike

Hi mpf541,

Apologies for the inconvenience. When ISY starts, it automatically does a query of the system (unless you disable this feature in the Configuration/System tab in the bottom left corner box). Now, the main issue is that, unfortunately so, the IOLinc query ALWAYS returns the status of the relay instead of the sensor. This causes major issues after power failure since, in most cases, after power outage the relay is on (sometimes it does not hold its previous state) while the sensor is not shorted.

We have already notified SH of this issue and we are tracking it. At the moment, the only thing I can suggest is the following:

With kind regards,

Michel

If

Then

Wait 4 minutes

Hi mpf541,

Would you be kind enough to do the following test:

1. Change the status of the sensor to be the reverse of the relay

2. Do a query on the sensor

If the query returns the correct status for your sensor, then you should be OK. But, I am still unsure why you would have that issue after power failure.

With kind regards,

Michel

The one I have I just had replaced by SH last month. The admin console lists it as a V.36 The sticker on the back says it is rev 1.2. I thought this was the latest.

Hi Michael

When I query the sensor it returns the correct status. Which is on with the door closed.

The relay status was off. When I queried it The status changed to ON and then it started running "Then" which in my program wait 4 miniutes and the sets the relay ON which opens the door

I watched it this time and I notice the status never changed from true. Although the door was open the sensor was reporting on. Which was incorrect it should have been off as the door was wide open. I queried the sensor and the status changed to off which it should have been. The relay was reporting off as it should have been.

I looked at it a little closer and I noticed that when the sensor is queried even though it reports that it is on and the relay reports off it starts running then in the program that will open the door. Is this still the iolinc causing the issue? I only have a problem if I have this progran enabled. If it is disabled the query does not open the door.

I also have disabled run query on start up which sloved the power failure. But I and not sure how to make the All Scene as you suggested. Do I just make a hew scene and add all the devices other than the IOlinc. And are they all added as resopnders or controllers? Or am I trying to do this the wrong was. I would think that this query should be able to find out what the devices are.

Thanks

I closed the door and all it working as it is suppoed to unless I query the

Hi mpf541,

Would you be kind enough to do the following test:

1. Change the status of the sensor to be the reverse of the relay

2. Do a query on the sensor

If the query returns the correct status for your sensor, then you should be OK. But, I am still unsure why you would have that issue after power failure.

With kind regards,

Michel

The one I have I just had replaced by SH last month. The admin console lists it as a V.36 The sticker on the back says it is rev 1.2. I thought this was the latest.

Hello again,

There is something that bothers me:

Even though your door is open, the status of the sensor does not reflect the correct status unless queried.

May I recommend the following:

1. Make sure you have 2.7.7 alpha installed (Help | About)

2. Please remove IOLinc from ISY

3. Do a factory reset on it

4. Add it back to ISY

5. Simulate door open/close and make sure that the status of the Sensor is reflected correctly and that the query returns the correct status

If we figure this out, then I would hope that other problems are also solved.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michael

Well after doing every thing you suggested Now when I query the sensor it report that it is on. It does not matter what the relay codition is It still comes back as on. Seems like all this equipment is fine to open and close but as soon as I get a program to close it automatically it does not work. I will call SH tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Hello again,

There is something that bothers me:

Even though your door is open, the status of the sensor does not reflect the correct status unless queried.

May I recommend the following:

1. Make sure you have 2.7.7 alpha installed (Help | About)

2. Please remove IOLinc from ISY

3. Do a factory reset on it

4. Add it back to ISY

5. Simulate door open/close and make sure that the status of the Sensor is reflected correctly and that the query returns the correct status

If we figure this out, then I would hope that other problems are also solved.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived