Status vs Control

Kentinada

57 minutes ago, Kentinada said:

I know it's out there but I cannot find it.  Can someone please point me to the documentation on the difference between Status and Control in a condition test in a program?

From the wiki: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Program_Commands under the heading "Control vs Status".

1 hour ago, Kentinada said:

I know it's out there but I cannot find it.  Can someone please point me to the documentation on the difference between Status and Control in a condition test in a program?

Thanks.

Note: A "control switched on/off" is always false when tested by another initiation/trigger. It can only be True when it calls the attention of the program to evaluate it.

eg.

If control X is switched On
AND
If control Y is switched On.

will never be true. One statement can be true but, the other will always be False at the same time.

Another way to think about it.....

"Status" is what the ISY already knows, it's not based on a current event, but the value stored in memory (even if that value just changed to it's current value).

"Control" is actual events being listened for and reported to the program as they occur.  real-time events.

My use of Status vs Control has been that Control is when the switch is manually pressed, while Status includes a change (or current reading) whether manual or in the Administrative Console (program or clicking on the node).  Am I wrong ?

1 minute ago, asbril said:

My use of Status vs Control has been that Control is when the switch is manually pressed, while Status includes a change (or current reading) whether manual or in the Administrative Console (program or clicking on the node).  Am I wrong ?

Not wrong at all. The best simple explanation. 

One caveat is with zwave. Many zwave devices do not use control. I'm those cases, status will have to be used as the trigger

40 minutes ago, PhanTomiZ said:

I see control as a "transition" or "one shot" trigger from one state to another.  

I am not sure to understand but I just verified the following :

I have a program like

IF light A  is switched (Control) On

THEN light B is On

With this program, when in the Administrative Console, I turn light A on, then light B does NOT go On. Light B only goes On when I manually click the switch A up. That how it is by design and how I want it.

If I would have wanted light B to go On whenever light A is set On (whether from the switch or in the AC), then the program should have been :

IF light A  Status is On

THEN light B is On

That is how I see the difference between Status and Control

48 minutes ago, asbril said:

I am not sure to understand but I just verified the following :

I have a program like

IF light A  is switched (Control) On

THEN light B is On

With this program, when in the Administrative Console, I turn light A on, then light B does NOT go On. Light B only goes On when I manually click the switch A up. That how it is by design and how I want it.

If I would have wanted light B to go On whenever light A is set On (whether from the switch or in the AC), then the program should have been :

IF light A  Status is On

THEN light B is On

That is how I see the difference between Status and Control

This is correct

8 hours ago, MrBill said:

"Control" is actual events being listened for and reported to the program as they occur.  real-time events.

For my comprehension, "Event" would be a better term than "Control".

It is, in my estimation, worth clarifying this...”control” is true only when the switch is manually “controlled”.  Furthermore, it is true only at that moment it is triggered and false at all other times.  Additionally, control triggers a program only when the specified command (on, off, etc...) is initiated, regardless of previous state.

status commands trigger a program whenever the status of a device changes state, regardless of how initiated (manually, as part of a scene or program, etc...), is true only when the new state is the one specified, and will remain true until the state changes.

But the semantics seem to complicate it more than needed 
yeah. I have been thinking about an HTML chart to show the options of all the devices to show what andcwhen with just checkmark but have never gotten
a 'round tuit.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Archived