Incredibly stupid me tries to set up incredibly simple scene

jasonl99

One light, two switches that control the light.

I have two Icon on/off v.28 switches where a three-way circuit used to be.

I replaced the three-way switches with the Insteons and did the programming via the "set on the switch" method a few years ago. This all worked fine so that either switch would control the lights.

Once I got the ISY-99 I started from scratch. I delete any scenes referencing these switches.

The "Kitchen Recessed Garage Door" switch controls the load.

The "Kitchen Recessed Hallway" switch has no load.

I created a new scene "Kitchen recessed scene" and added the "kitchen recessed garage door" as a responder since it controls the load. Everything works fine (turning the scene on turns the switch on)

I next added the "kitchen recessed hallway" switch as a Controller. Remember, this one has no load. The ISY-99 did a "system busy" and returned in a miute ore so and had added it to the scene.

But the hallway switch still will not turn on the scene (or the light). When I press the switch, it turns on in the ISY. But it does not turn the scene on, and it does not turn the garage switch on.

If I turn on the garage switch, it turns on the scene and the hallway switch.

What the hell am I missing?

HI jason|99,

What you want to do is to add both switches as controllers and any other device (that does not control the scene) as responders.

With kind regards,

Michel

One light, two switches that control the light.

I have two Icon on/off v.28 switches where a three-way circuit used to be.

I replaced the three-way switches with the Insteons and did the programming via the "set on the switch" method a few years ago. This all worked fine so that either switch would control the lights.

Once I got the ISY-99 I started from scratch. I delete any scenes referencing these switches.

The "Kitchen Recessed Garage Door" switch controls the load.

The "Kitchen Recessed Hallway" switch has no load.

I created a new scene "Kitchen recessed scene" and added the "kitchen recessed garage door" as a responder since it controls the load. Everything works fine (turning the scene on turns the switch on)

I next added the "kitchen recessed hallway" switch as a Controller. Remember, this one has no load. The ISY-99 did a "system busy" and returned in a miute ore so and had added it to the scene.

But the hallway switch still will not turn on the scene (or the light). When I press the switch, it turns on in the ISY. But it does not turn the scene on, and it does not turn the garage switch on.

If I turn on the garage switch, it turns on the scene and the hallway switch.

What the hell am I missing?

Now it just gets more weird.

I started over creating a new scene called "Kitchen Recessed Scene"

I added "Kitchen Recessed Garage" and "Kitchen Recessed Hallway" as controllers. Turning the scene on turns on the lights. Turning the "kitche recessed garage" on turns on the lights. As before, turning on the "kitchen recessed hallway" does nothing. So it still doesn't work.

But it's worse than that. I have another insteon-controlled - the "Kitchen Sink" which is completely unrelated to this whole thing. When I turn the SCENE off from the ISY, not only do the desired kitchen recessed lights turn of, SO DOES THE KITCHEN SINK! It's not in the scene at all!

Keep in mind this is a brand new scene that I created from scratch, and somehow it is turning of another light that is totally unrelated to the two switches which were added to the scene! In fact, the sink light does not turn off when I press either of the scene switches either, so it's being done entirely by the scene.

I have to be missing something. This stuff just can't be all that difficult, right?

Your switch that does not have the load is probably not connected properly to the neutral circuit. You may have mixrd up yhe neutral with the old travelers when you installed it. As for the third switch, it may have a legacy program in it that kicked in for some reason.

tahoe - this was working before I started cleaning up with the scenes once I had the isy99 up and running (I had previously linked the switches directly at the switch the "old school" way).

Here's something else interesting that may complicate things. When I said that the hallway switch didn't turn the recessed lights on, I was testing this by turning the hallway switch to "On" through the ISY interface. I certainly heard the relay click each time I tried this. I assumed this was the exact same things as physically turning the switch on at the paddle.

But I happened to by walking by the switch to the kitchen and out of habit hit the switch directly - viola, the lights turned on as they are programmed to do.

That means it's actually working the way I want it to - but it is surprising to me that turning on the switch physically results in different behavior than turning on the switch through the ISY.

Additionally, the sink light (which is not part of the scene) still turns offwhen I turn the scene off in the ISY's interface. Perhaps that's even more strange: the scene was created in the ISY interface and the two switches added with the ISY interface as well. The kitchen light turns off ONLY when I turn off the scene directly in the ISY interface. If I turn of the physical switches directly, the sink light does not turn off. So it seems like an ISY problem not a switch problem.

jason|99,

The fundamental concept are scenes and controller each one of which could have different on level/ramp rates for a set of responders. So, that's why the scene is behaving differently than physically activating a button. To make sure:

1. Click on the scene and check the on level/ramp rates for all the devices within the scene (to your right)

2. Click on one of the switches within the scene and check the on level and ramp rate for the devices in the scene

I am guessing that they are different.

As far as your kitchen sink, if you used Import Existing Links when you first registered the device, then I would assume that there was an orphaned link in there. The best thing to do would be to remove this Kitchen Sink, do a factory reset on it, and then add it back.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived