One LampLinc goes dead after each beta update

GPG

After each of the last few beta updates I loaded, one of my Lamplincs seems to die. After the update has finished and I reopen the console, it shows up with the "can not communicate" error message. When I check the LL, the LED is off. I unplug/replug the unit and it comes back to life. I then do a device recover and all is well again.

I passed this off as a communication problem in the past, and maybe it is, but I notice that it has been constent and may indicate some other problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Bingo on the 00 address.

The Lamplinc in question has an address of 00.5e.xx and is v23.

I have another LL with address of 00.5e.xx v23 without this problem.

All my other Lamplincs are xx.xx.xx v28.

I also have a Switchlinc dimmer with address xx.00.xx v24 without this problem.

This last occured when I updated to 2.4.13 this morning.

Hello GPG,

This is indeed interesting. None of the past releases have changed anything by the way of communicating with devices. The only change was that ISY "considered" devices with 00 in first/second byte as "group" commands and thus didn't update the status "in ISY" correctly. This had nothing to do with communications on the "outbound" pipe.

Please do let us know of the outcome of your experiments.

Thanks and with kind regards,

Michel

Bingo on the 00 address.

The Lamplinc in question has an address of 00.5e.xx and is v23.

I have another LL with address of 00.5e.xx v23 without this problem.

All my other Lamplincs are xx.xx.xx v28.

I also have a Switchlinc dimmer with address xx.00.xx v24 without this problem.

This last occured when I updated to 2.4.13 this morning.

After testing out some new programs yesterday I had the same LL lockup. I did not have to reboot the ISY, but did create a lot of traffic on the line. Could it be that the LL is beginning to fail and is not reacting well to heavy traffic? This might explain why I have only noticed this problem after loading new beta's with the subsequent ISY reboot.

So it is probably just a coincidence about the 00 addresses, especially since only one of the LL's with the leading 00 has had the problem. I will definitely swap out this LL for one of my newer ones and see what happens.

Thanks,

George

Did you try giving her the old in-out? :shock: Factory reset and all?

It is sounding like she's heading south. Must be pretty old with a double-O dot address. I'm up to 09.xx.xxs on a batch I just got. I love these things :D

Link your new one to the ISY and then use Replace With> on the old module.

Good luck,

Rand

Sub-Routine,

Yes it is old. Actually, this one and the other "00" LL I have are among the very first Insteon devices I purchased. Last night when I got home, I noticed that it happened again. A plain unplug/wait/plugin brings it back to life. I did perform a factory reset a couple of weeks ago after loading an update.

Thanks for reminding me about the Replace option (I haven't tried that yet).

I should have time tonight to make the swap.

It does look like it is on the way out. The lockups are much more frequent now. I am going to hook it up to a test lamp and maybe I can "help" it along. At least this problem appears to have nothing to do with the Beta or the update process.

Thanks,

George.

GPG,

Please do not do a swap yet ... it does not work as designed in this release but it's already fixed in the next drop. In short, if you do a swap in this release, you would have to reboot ISY for the changes to take effect (which is not very desirable).

Thanks so very much,

With kind regards,

Michel

Sub-Routine,

Yes it is old. Actually, this one and the other "00" LL I have are among the very first Insteon devices I purchased. Last night when I got home, I noticed that it happened again. A plain unplug/wait/plugin brings it back to life. I did perform a factory reset a couple of weeks ago after loading an update.

Thanks for reminding me about the Replace option (I haven't tried that yet).

I should have time tonight to make the swap.

It does look like it is on the way out. The lockups are much more frequent now. I am going to hook it up to a test lamp and maybe I can "help" it along. At least this problem appears to have nothing to do with the Beta or the update process.

Thanks,

George.

Unfortunately I already did the swap before checking the forum tonight. Yes, I ran into a few problems, including my LL dying on me while doing the swap. But the good news is, that I was able to accomplish the swap after tinkering with restore ISY, restore modem and a few restore devices. I never did have to recreate any of the links or scenes manually.

This is really going to be a great tool and a time saver. I do suggest we have a "How to posting" or a WIKI article to more fully explain how works and what happens.

Thanks,

George

Aw, shoot, I thought that Replace had been ironed out. I don't use Replace very often. Sorry dude. :oops:

The old LL dying should have no affect on the Replace. It could be as dead as a doornail when you use Replace because the ISY retains the settings. You should just need to Add and Replace the new device before you Remove the old device if you want to transfer the settings.

And don't worry about removing a dead device from the ISY right away, the ISY handles missing devices very well. Trust me.

Rand

Rand,

Thanks so very much for your vote of confidence!!!

As always,

With kind regards,

Michel

Aw, shoot, I thought that Replace had been ironed out. I don't use Replace very often. Sorry dude. :oops:

The old LL dying should have no affect on the Replace. It could be as dead as a doornail when you use Replace because the ISY retains the settings. You should just need to Add and Replace the new device before you Remove the old device if you want to transfer the settings.

And don't worry about removing a dead device from the ISY right away, the ISY handles missing devices very well. Trust me.

Rand

Aw, shoot, I thought that Replace had been ironed out. I don't use Replace very often. Sorry dude.

Not a problem. Actually I am very glad you mentioned it , because it gave me a chance to try it out. I am constantly impressed with how resilient the ISY is in allowing the user to recover from problems, whether an ISY bug or user error. It really encourages experimentation.

-George

Archived