ISY (Insteon network) + ISY Portal + PLM -> migration to Polisy ??

oskrypuch

First off, just to say that before posting I read through the Polisy manual in the wiki, and nabbed as many threads here as I could.

I am currently running the latest ISY running .16. It is a large and mature system running for at least ten years, and it addresses a wide variety of Insteon devices from motions to stats to lights etc., through a 2413S PLM. Also have an ISY Portal account for purposes of grabbing weather, and for remote control through the UDI apps. All good.

1. BUT, I understand that there may be 2413S supply issues, and these lousy things burn out every few years. There may be a replacement from SmartHome, but it may be a while to see the light of day, and it might not be supported by ISY.

2. Also, from what I understand (please correct me), Polisy is just a user friendly raspberry Pi type of device, that will be able to serve the nodes that are currently hosted on the ISY portal, but could also add local nodes that I would define myself. As an aside, I believe there is an easy way to readdress my system to use my currently defined nodes on the ISY Portal, but run them on the Polisy -- perhaps it needs setup/redefinitions of all these?

3. And, I've also seen references to Polisy taking over the job from the ISY entirely, and becoming the brain of the system rather than just serving nodes in a supplementary fashion. I also understand that moving programs over would likely not be possible, and it would require a rewrite of my home system.

BUT, as far as I can glean, Polisy itself has no way of directly communicating with Insteon power line devices, in the way that the current ISY/2413S PLM does. Am I correct? If so, then would moving to the Polisy as the brain mean abandoning my current Insteon installation, in favor of some other network (Z-wave, zigbee etc.)? it can be done, but would entail a fair bit of time and treasure.

There is also a USB connected PLM, that is showing in stock. Is there any role for that in all this?

Does the wireless Insteon accessibility have any role here to supplant the PLM?

Many thanks for any corrections and amplifications.

* Orest

7 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

First off, just to say that before posting I read through the Polisy manual in the wiki, and nabbed as many threads here as I could.

I am currently running the latest ISY running .16. It is a large and mature system running for at least ten years, and it addresses a wide variety of Insteon devices from motions to stats to lights etc., through a 2413S PLM. Also have an ISY Portal account for purposes of grabbing weather, and for remote control through the UDI apps. All good.

1. BUT, I understand that there may be 2413S supply issues, and these lousy things burn out every few years. There may be a replacement from SmartHome, but it may be a while to see the light of day, and it might not be supported by ISY.

2. Also, from what I understand (please correct me), Polisy is just a user friendly raspberry Pi type of device, that will be able to serve the nodes that are currently hosted on the ISY portal, but could also add local nodes that I would define myself. As an aside, I believe there is an easy way to readdress my system to use my currently defined nodes on the ISY Portal, but run them on the Polisy -- perhaps it needs setup/redefinitions of all these?

3. And, I've also seen references to Polisy taking over the job from the ISY entirely, and becoming the brain of the system rather than just serving nodes in a supplementary fashion. I also understand that moving programs over would likely not be possible, and it would require a rewrite of my home system.

BUT, as far as I can glean, Polisy itself has no way of directly communicating with Insteon power line devices, in the way that the current ISY/2413S PLM does. Am I correct? If so, then would moving to the Polisy as the brain mean abandoning my current Insteon installation, in favor of some other network (Z-wave, zigbee etc.)? it can be done, but would entail a fair bit of time and treasure.

There is also a USB connected PLM, that is showing in stock. Is there any role for that in all this?

Does the wireless Insteon accessibility have any role here to supplant the PLM?

Many thanks for any corrections and amplifications.

* Orest

28 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

Your existing serial PLM can be used with ISY on Polisy, all you need is the serial cable that was originally shipped in the box.   ISY on Polisy is also supporting the USB PLM that is currently in stock at Smarthome.   ISY on Polisy will also support Z-wave, but UDI has yet to announce which Z-wave board is needed... likely it will be USB.

Keep in mind the ISY on Polisy project is currently in ALPHA testing, it's not ready to run your mature system quite yet.

Thank you @Tekenand @MrBill.

I do have that original serial DB-9 cable, thank goodness I'm a pack rat. And great to know that the USB PLM is supported by the Polisy as well, as for the moment it remains in stock. I may grab one to future proof myself.

Fingers crossed my current serial PLM will last a little while longer to keep my ISY setup communicating, as replacements are like hen's teeth at the moment.

When/if the Polisy project is a bit more fleshed out, I'll have another look in that direction.

Is at least the (initial) Polisy hardware "done", or is it alpha-ish as well? I would prefer not to buy it now and be needing another hardware update in the near future.

* Orest

30 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

Is at least the (initial) Polisy hardware "done", or is it alpha-ish as well? I would prefer not to buy it now and be needing another hardware update in the near future.

Polisy hardware is production (i.e. not alpha or beta), and currently runs polyglot 2, which is soon to upgrade to polyglot 3. 

Many of us have the Alpha version of "ISY on Polisy" also running, that software is alpha test.

26 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

Got it, thanks. May order up the hardware to have a look.

Hmm, don't see it at my usual supplier aartech.ca, is it only available for direct purchase? It is US$50 shipping to Canada. (ouch)

* Orest

If you have a problem with anything from SH, you will have to pay the shipping to return it also. Not much of a warranty, if they supply a DoA item.

Archived