Direct Dimming and Ramping through GUI

yardman 49

Hello all:

I am running 2.4.13, and am trying the change the ramp rate on a LampLinc. I have the level set at 100% in the ISY GUI. I change the rate from a default value of 0.1 to say, 30 seconds. But when I click "On" in the GUI, the unit still comes on very quickly, as though the rate change didn't "take" at all.

On the other hand, I can easily change the light level through the ISY GUI, and that works right away. So I'm wondering what is happeing here. What am I doing wrong?

Alright, so I did some additional experiments. I discovered that the same situation exists when trying to control a Togglelinc also. I can "dim" through the GUI, and the change happens immediately, and also it persists when I click the light off and back on. I can move the "ramp" slider, and it also changes. But then when I click the "On" or "off" buttons, the light does not ramp, but goes immediately on or off.

So manual dimming through the GUI works, ramping does not seem to.

Thanks for any help.

The LampLinc must be power-cycled before the new local values are used. Unplug the device for at least 10 seconds. SwitchLincs and all other Insteon devices, except a KeypadLinc, also have this requirement. You can pull out the set button on a switch to remove power.

The local light level and ramp rate of a LampLinc will be used when you use local control. That is; to use the load sensing to turn on a lamp.

When you change the light level from the ISY the LampLinc will use the last ramp rate it knows of, not the one in the ISY console, unless that was the last rate used.

A quick way to change many devices local values at once is to set all the new values in the ISY and then cycle power using your circuit breakers.

Rand

The LampLinc must be power-cycled before the new local values are used. Unplug the device for at least 10 seconds. SwitchLincs and all other Insteon devices, except a KeypadLinc, also have this requirement. You can pull out the set button on a switch to remove power.

The local light level and ramp rate of a LampLinc will be used when you use local control. That is; to use the load sensing to turn on a lamp.

When you change the light level from the ISY the LampLinc will use the last ramp rate it knows of, not the one in the ISY console, unless that was the last rate used.

A quick way to change many devices local values at once is to set all the new values in the ISY and then cycle power using your circuit breakers.

Rand

Rand:

Whoa! I understand what you say, and I tried it with the Lamplinc, and it does indeed work. (Actually, a double-press of the unit's button also enables the new, downloaded ramp rate).

But why have the slider there at all? At least the level slider has an immediate effect, albeit it also won't become a local value until the unit is power cycled.

I didn't think that these commands were for adjusting the local values. Rather, I thought that they were for testing and making temporary changes, such as "what would that ramp rate look like"? Or, for making a change remotely (internet), where you want to change both a level and a ramp rate for a light that you want to change back at home.

In order for a newbie to not be confused, maybe a memo should be on the bottom of this "local" screen, that says something to the effect that "for these values to become local values, please power cycle the device".

(Sort of like having the shut the car off to get a new setting of your interval wipers to work! "Please change the wiper delay, then turn the ignition off and back on again to accept the change".) :wink:

aLf, yes it is the same as air-gapping a SL.

Frank, it's an Insteon thing. There is nothing the UDI team can do to change it. Ramp rates cannot be specified in a change level command.

You may also notice that when changing settings in a scene the lights change to the new levels, although not always at the rates specified in the scene.

Actually, the double-tap does change the default ramp rate, but the new ramp rate correlates to the lamp level, not necessarily to the new ramp rate specified on the slider. There are only eight ramp rates (up to 9 seconds) that can be set using the double-tap. There are 32 values (up to 9 minutes) that can be set with software.

A single tap changes the local level, and that does correspond directly to the current lamp level.

I thought the same as you about the sliders being used for testing. But once I understood the difference it does make sense. Direct control, testing, or changing the local level, it works for me!

It has been suggested here more than once that a requester appear to warn the user to power-cycle a device upon changes to local levels and rates.

One more feature to add ;)

Rand

Archived