UPnP bug or as designed?

tome

I was playing with iLinc (iPhone app for access to ISY) and it was working fine. Then yesterday evening I had a network outage. During that outage I was doing diagnostics to make sure it wasn't a problem on my local network and I rebooted my router. Turned out the problem was with my ISP. When the network came back up I was assigned a different address from the ISP.

Now iLinc can't access my ISY from outside my network. I looked at my router and the ISY has not updated it's UPnP entry. Why not? Is this a bug in 2.7.7?

I will reboot the ISY and I suspect this will fix the problem, but shouldn't it update on it's own?

EDIT: Sure enough the reboot fixed the issue, the ISY updated the UPnP entry on my router...

Tome

Hi tome,

Unfortunately ISY does not know if your router has been rebooted. Also, UPnP entries do not last after a reboot. Frequent querying the router for changes in ISP IP address, in some routers, causes the router to crash and that's why we took it out.

For best and most reliable performance, it's best to do the following:

1. Assign a static IP address for your ISY

2. Create port forwarding rules in your router manually to point to ISY's HTTPS port

3. [optional] add dynamic dns service so you would not have to remember your ISY's IP address (in case it changes)

With kind regards,

Michel

I was playing with iLinc (iPhone app for access to ISY) and it was working fine. Then yesterday evening I had a network outage. During that outage I was doing diagnostics to make sure it wasn't a problem on my local network and I rebooted my router. Turned out the problem was with my ISP. When the network came back up I was assigned a different address from the ISP.

Now iLinc can't access my ISY from outside my network. I looked at my router and the ISY has not updated it's UPnP entry. Why not? Is this a bug in 2.7.7?

I will reboot the ISY and I suspect this will fix the problem, but shouldn't it update on it's own?

EDIT: Sure enough the reboot fixed the issue, the ISY updated the UPnP entry on my router...

Tome

Hi tome,

Unfortunately ISY does not know if your router has been rebooted. Also, UPnP entries do not last after a reboot. Frequent querying the router for changes in ISP IP address, in some routers, causes the router to crash and that's why we took it out.

For best and most reliable performance, it's best to do the following:

1. Assign a static IP address for your ISY

2. Create port forwarding rules in your router manually to point to ISY's HTTPS port

3. [optional] add dynamic dns service so you would not have to remember your ISY's IP address (in case it changes)

With kind regards,

Michel

Yes, good advice that.

Thanks,

Tome

Archived