Disabling actions in a scene

bgrubb1

I have a simple scene, zwave motion sensor as a controller and an insteon light switch as a responder.

I am trying to control the time the scene executes to only when dark.

I saw elsewhere in the forum

"The ISY can turn on and off scenes as well as switches. Instead of turning each switch on individually, simple pick the scene off of the list of things to 'Set' in your program."

The program--

scene test - [ID 0045][Parent 0001]

If
        From    Sunset 
        To      Sunrise (next day)

Then
        Set 'motion test' On

Else
        Set 'motion test' Off

The Scene

image.thumb.png.63cea17ae925f6decdde6adc92ff87d8.png

Am I missing something or should this work ?

Currently it executes Day or NIght

...Barry

I don't expect that this will do what you want.

In general, Insteon scenes cannot be stopped.  Unfortunately, I cannot say with certainty that a mixed (z-wave/insteon) scene cannot be halted, but suspect the same is true as for a fully-insteon scene.

Controlling when a device reacts to another device is best, in my estimation, done via programs, without scene relationships.  Delete the scene and create a program such as:

if

time is from sunset to sunrise (next day)

and motion sensor is switched on

then

turn on light

wait a little bit

turn off light

else

turn off light

There are additional possibilities and sophistication that one can add, depending on needs and interests, but this should get you started.

Notice how @oberkc's program contains three conditions? Sunset, Sunrise and XXX Switched On.

His time frame now acts as a filter, while your time frame also acts as trigger at sunset causing the Then section to run.

The difference is having a switched/on condition which only be true when the program is triggered for evaluation by that switched/on device named. Therefore, when the time frame triggers at Sunset as True the logic being ANDed with the device switched/on line causes the whole IF section to evaluate to false.

With you program From Sunset to Sunrise the sunset will always run True and turn the 'motion test' on and sunrise will always run Else and turn 'motion test' off.

4 hours ago, bgrubb1 said:

Am I missing something or should this work ?

Your program currently turns the scene on at sunset and turns it off at sunrise the next day.  That's not what you want to do.  You want to change how the responder reacts at sunset and the reset how it acts at sunrise the next day.  So you need to use the Adjust Scene command.

Replace "Set 'motion test' On" with "In 'XXXX' Set 'YYYY' To On, Z retries" where XXXX is the controller and YYYY is responder and Z represents the number of retries - to do this you must choose "Insteon"

Replace "Set 'motion test' Off" with "In 'XXXX' Set 'YYYY' To ignore" where XXXX is the controller and YYYY is responder

Since you're using a mixed Zwave / Insteon scene, replacing your scene with the program that @oberkc provided should work just as well as modifying how your scene reacts based on time.  The reason is that for mixed protocol scenes, the ISY has to act as a middleman anyway, so you shouldn't lose any reaction speed by using a program instead.

Archived