Mystery Scene ?

slimypizza

Here’s a strange one.  I just noticed that an insteon 2477D dimmer switch which we seldom use manually (so I don’t know how long this may have been happening), now controls 6 other insteon lights.  WTH.  I did not program this.  Ever.  The switch in question controls the light in the den fan.  Pressing it on now turns on that light, the living room light, the dining room light, the front porch, the front flood, the back porch and the back flood.  Pressing off turns all those lights off.  This only happens when using the switch manually.  Everything functions normally going through the admin console.  Also, the other lights that come on do not show up in the ISY console as ON.  I can turn them off via the console but they don’t register as being on even though they are. 

All I’ve done so far to troubleshoot is to delete the den light switch and re-add.  That didn’t have any effect.

Any ideas?

You didn't get the switches linked to the one controlling them. With manual set button procedure. The ISY994i would not know of an manual links it did not create.

Did  you factory rest them at installation?  They have been known to ship with test links in them. Though that many switches seem to be odd for factory test links.

Do you know the revision of the 2477D? Earlier versions also could have an X10 address in them. If they had an X10 address in them. They could be controlled by an X10 signal.

I should mention I know for a fact this behavior was not the case all along.  We seldom manually turn on the den light switch but I know that until some unknown point in time (today?) it did work as expected.  We've had the switches for a couple of years. It is a good suggestion but this could not be due to leftover X10 or insteon links.  This is really strange.  OK so next I'm going to delete every affected light and then re-add.  I'll report back if that made any difference.

17 minutes ago, slimypizza said:

I should mention I know for a fact this behavior was not the case all along.  We seldom manually turn on the den light switch but I know that until some unknown point in time (today?) it did work as expected.  We've had the switches for a couple of years. It is a good suggestion but this could not be due to leftover X10 or insteon links.  This is really strange.  OK so next I'm going to delete every affected light and then re-add.  I'll report back if that made any difference.

I you haven't already done the above you might just try right clicking devices and selecting restore device.    If you need to go to the extreme of removing devices from the ISY, I would suggest factory resets before readding them.  Factory reset procedure can vary slightly by model.. a 2477. is pull out the air gap switch and wait 10 second... Push back in all the way and Hold... keep holding until the long beep STOPS.

Update: Issue seems to be resolved after Restoring all affected switches.  At first I'd only restored then deleted/added the switch that was causing the strange results. Restoring all switches was necessary.  I've no idea how this phantom situation came to be but glad to know that it is resolved.  Thanks to all who read/posted.

2 hours ago, slimypizza said:

Update: Issue seems to be resolved after Restoring all affected switches.  At first I'd only restored then deleted/added the switch that was causing the strange results. Restoring all switches was necessary.  I've no idea how this phantom situation came to be but glad to know that it is resolved.  Thanks to all who read/posted.

Your devices somehow became crosslinked.  This can happen if several devices are in the linking mode at the same time.

This is really strange.  After restoring all affected switches and confirming that the mystery scene/crosslink behavior was gone, it returned the next day.  Same thing. Manually turning on the den light switch turns on 6 other lights. I did not factory reset the switches previously, just restore from the ISY admin console.  Will try factory reset next.

13 hours ago, slimypizza said:

After restoring all affected switches and confirming that the mystery scene/crosslink behavior was gone, it returned the next day.  Same thing. Manually turning on the den light switch turns on 6 other lights.

There are two link parts for every scene.  The first is a record in the Links Table of the controller.  That record basically tells the controller (in your case the 2477D dimmer switch) to send out a scene message whenever it is physically turned ON or OFF.  The second is a record in the Links Tables off all the responders.  That records tells each responder how to react (ON level and Ramp rate) whenever they see the scene message from the controller.

When you restored each of the responders, you removed the record in their Links Tables that told them to respond to the scene message from the controller.  The controller would still send out the scene message since you didn't restore it as well, but the responders would no longer react to the message.

Since all of the responders are now again reacting to the the message from the controller, something has recreated the record in their Links Table for that scene.

13 hours ago, slimypizza said:

I did not factory reset the switches previously, just restore from the ISY admin console.  Will try factory reset next.

If it is indeed a phantom record in the Links Tables of the responders that is causing this behavior, a factory reset and restore will have the same result - temporarily breaking the link between the controller and the responders until whatever is recreating the link does its thing again.

Since we can reasonably rule out you manually adding the responders to a scene using the Admin Console as the cause for the recreated links ?, is there any chance that you once used an "Adjust Scene" command in a program and later deleted the scene but forgot to update the program?

If it were me, I'd try factory resetting the controller and all responders, followed by a restore of each from the ISY. Then I would open the Event Viewer, set it to level 3, and allow it to run for 24-48 hours.  If during that time the link between the controller and responders comes back then you should be able to see communication in the Event Viewer that corresponds to the recreation of the links which should help narrow down what it happening.

8 minutes ago, slimypizza said:

Factory resetting the den switch, the switch that mysteriously was turning on 6 other lights, did the trick.  Operation is back to normal.  Thanks all.

Do a backup of your ISY so you'll have the correct link tables in the event you have to do a restore

Archived