non-ISY Insteon question - starter kit still useable?

Jamison_IO

I came across a cheap Insteon Starter kit. With the scarcity of the plm, I thought this could be a good way to use some of my unused switches, etc. in my new business location without having to start down the road of a whole different platform.

My question is: The starter kits are all discontinued on the SH site, is there anything in them (the hub, thermostat, switches) that are not compatible with what is being put out today?

Also, I asssume I do not need any sort of PLM to use with the hub. Is that correct? Thanks. 

I came across a cheap Insteon Starter kit. With the scarcity of the plm, I thought this could be a good way to use some of my unused switches, etc. in my new business location without having to start down the road of a whole different platform.
My question is: The starter kits are all discontinued on the SH site, is there anything in them (the hub, thermostat, switches) that are not compatible with what is being put out today?
Also, I asssume I do not need any sort of PLM to use with the hub. Is that correct? Thanks. 

If the starter kit includes the Insteon Hub you’re good to go.
1 minute ago, mmb said:

My experience with the hub in the starter kit is it burns out as frequently as the PLM.  (no PLM required)

SH did replace one at my vacation condo for free thankfully.

The hub is pretty basic but good enough to keep you going.

they even advertise that they replace hubs for free. They clone them before shipping too from info stored in the cloud.  The replacement plugs in an just works.  (My son has one and has been through the process),  They also have new mobile apps for the hub, but I've not tried it.

Also not tried, but Home Assistant claims to support Insteon via the hub or PLM.

Archived