Disable insteon dimmer switch

phatmatt

Is there a way to disable an insteon dimmer switch? Use it just as a trigger not actually cut power to the circuit. 

My patio switch works great, but now I've added more lighting and a fan on the patio.  I would like to be able to keep the power to the patio circuit on,  and manage the lights and fan with sonoff wifi switches. The lighting needs power on all the time to stay connected to the wifi, and the way it is now, when I hit the patio switch the bulbs lose their up address. 

Any information and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

I have a few of my manual switches taped over (so people do not turn the circuit off) with white electrical tape and control my WiFi bulbs with Alexa voice control. I do have some Insteon SwitchLincs disconnected from their loads but a manual switch is always ahead of the lightbulbs in a multi-gang box.

Double tapping a switcLinc up or down can serve as a trigger for other devices without interfering with normal Insteon SwitchLinc dimmer operations. In my ensuite I control RGBWW strip lighting with a double tap Off for 7 different colours as well as On/Off from one main light SwitchLinc. All based on timing and assumption the main lights will be off when colours are wanted..

A switch is needed ahead of all light fixtures so you do not have to change the wet bulb while it is alive.

5 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I have a few of my manual switches taped over (so people do not turn the circuit off) with white electrical tape and control my WiFi bulbs with Alexa voice control. I do have some Insteon SwitchLincs disconnected from their loads but a manual switch is always ahead of the lightbulbs in a multi-gang box.

Double tapping a switcLinc up or down can serve as a trigger for other devices without interfering with normal Insteon SwitchLinc dimmer operations. In my ensuite I control RGBWW strip lighting with a double tap Off for 7 different colours as well as On/Off from one main light SwitchLinc. All based on timing and assumption the main lights will be off when colours are wanted..

A switch is needed ahead of all light fixtures so you do not have to change the wet bulb while it is alive.

Thanks. Fast on double tap is an option, but I'm certain other family members wouldn't do the fast on and I would be setting up lights constantly. 

Im thinking I may just have to ditch the insteon, put in some other kind of switch that doesnt actually cut the power but triggers a scene or automation or something.

@phatmatt My front porch has Hue fixtures now, they want to be always powered. To bypass the switch, I disconnected the wire connected to the RED wire coming out of the switch, and put a wirenut on the now unused read wire.  Then I connected the wire I removed from Red to the same wirenut that has the black.   Now the Hue fixtures always have power.  The switch still sends Insteon Commands back to the ISY, but since they red (load) lead is not connected it's not actually controlling a load.

5 minutes ago, MrBill said:

@phatmatt My front porch has Hue fixtures now, they want to be always powered.  I disconnected the wire connected to the RED wire coming out of the switch, and put a wirenut on the now unused read wire.  Then I connected the wired I removed from Red to the same wirenut that has the black.   Now the Hue fixtures always have power.  The switch still sends Insteon Commands back to the ISY, but since they red (load) lead is not connected it's not actually controlling a load.

Thanks Mr Bill.  I was just thinking duh.. bypass the switch and just keep power to the insteon. Isy will still see the triggers, but since its bypassed, dont do anything except programmatically.

I remember seeing a red wire. Ill have to check wiring diagram.  Thanks

I do my hue (in addition to some other stuff) the way MrBill does his as well. The lights turn on and off just like they would if connected normally

Uniformity matters a great deal to me in addition to presentation. There's no way I could live with toggle switches mixed with paddles- let alone tape over a switch. The Mrs. would definitely put an end to that as well.

I try to avoid double taps for the most part. When I do use them, it's usually to trigger the opposite of something at any given time or for events with the same trigger but different users. 

For example, during the early evening in the bedroom, the lamps come on full brightness. A double tap will trigger their preset dim level. Later at night, they'll come on at their preset dim level and a double tap will trigger all the way on. 

For events, my wife can turn on her relax for the patio and it'll set the lighting and music to her tastes. If i go out, I'll double tap it and it'll do the same for me.  

Archived