Elk or DSC

dinostop

A lot of the features Elk has can be considered unnecessary if you have a stable connection to ISY since ISY can do a lot of those things for you.  

Elk is a lot easier to program

Elk has more esoteric security functions.

I have both DSC and Elk at different locations.  Knowing what I know, I would still do Elk at home.  But at the office, DSC is fine.  I am also much more confident in mission critical stuff being on Elk.  Elk rules and their execution simply do not mess up ever.  For example, my sprinkler is on Elk relays.  I would not want ISY/Insteon doing that.  If it misses a shut off the sprinkler could run for who knows how long.  Elk never ever doesn't fire.

• 10 months later...

I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I will agree.  Insteon is about 99.5% accurate.  Sometimes going to bed and hitting the "Bedtime" scene, it takes two attempts.  My landscape lights and gate relay have been moved to the elk for that reason.  Given that Insteon is still in the ER, I am considering a migration to another product.  Sadly X-10 and Insteon had the biggest list of built in options.  I am not a fan of "Wall Warts" aka plug in modules.

I also will agree that for a simple business environment the DSC costs less and is a sold alarm system.  I also like the wireless failure notifications better.  As you can see in other threads if you have a wireless sensor go out on Elk, you only get an annoyance "low battery" alert on the keypad.  It feels like a wild goose chase until you realize the need to use RP2 in order to see which sensor is low.  If it dies before you get there, then you just see "short", so you might think it is open.  

Otherwise, Elk is pretty straightforward programming, although there are a few areas where integrating with the iSY can get confusing because we think of alarms as "Open", "Closed" or "Fault", and the insteon wireless sensors are "on" and "off."  If you mix equipment for need cost or availability like me, you may need to think a bit harder to make stuff work the way you want it.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 9.57.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 9.57.46 AM.png

Edited by CoolToys
add last sentence and screen shot
  • Like 1

Maybe we should put it on the wishlist that the new Elk integration module include zone battery monitoring to allow the iSY, POLiSY or the new eISY to send a notification of the sensor with the low battery.  I have had mixed success with that on the insteon sensors.  Sometimes they die so fast I never get a "low battery" email.  I added "dead battery" and "not configured" notifications to solve that problem.

Maybe we should put it on the wishlist that the new Elk integration module include zone battery monitoring to allow the iSY, POLiSY or the new eISY to send a notification of the sensor with the low battery.  I have had mixed success with that on the insteon sensors.  Sometimes they die so fast I never get a "low battery" email.  I added "dead battery" and "not configured" notifications to solve that problem.
There's no way to do battery monitoring, but the Elk does send a system trouble for low battery of a zone, which will show up on the controller low battery, but it will not tell you what zone had an issue. That's difficult to test since I'll need a way to force the Elk to report the trouble.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, JimboAutomates said:

Added issue to support zone specific trouble reporting: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc-PG3/udi-poly-ELK/issues/86

I don't have any wireless sensors on my Elk.  So, I don't know how they report trouble (ie low batteries).  But wired zones can be forced to report trouble depending on what type of zone you assign it and how many ohms you apply to it.

image.thumb.png.c25d6beb6211c1f1da4d6bc1bb87d667.png