Insteon units are failing, what should I do next?

scm2000

Well, I purchased most of my Insteon modules in 2007, including the isy994i (the isy has worked flawlessly for 14 years), and all have mostly been working ever since.

Early on one PLM failed, and an appliance linc or 2 have failed along the way..

But for years, I've had no problem.   Now my access point failed which was needed at the time for a bridge... without it one of my toggle switches could not be accessed. 

and Now I see one of my remotelincs has failed (the battery swelled).

So Of course I expected to go to smarthome and just order replacements... ha.   after a few days it's clear that I can no longer get replacements.

Well I was able to repurpose a dual band outlet module to get my toggle accessible again, and even opened up the access point to see if I could repair it, but I really don't want to get in the mode of trying to keep alive a failing system.

So as I assume others have done I've begun looking for alternatives.

I really don't want to toss out all my working Insteon modules, so I think the way I'd go is to upgrade the isy to support zwave and start adding zwave modules as insteon modules break down.

so my question is...   what way should I go to upgrade my isy?

I see there may be a zwave plugin module for my existing unit, but I also see the Polisy can run ISY on it, and it uses a USB PLM, and may also support zwave via a usb stick.

I can limp along for a while, is Polisy is almost ready to be a complete replacement for isy with zwave and with a supported PLM?  or should I just upgrade to the zwave capable isy and hope my PLM doesnt fail?

41 minutes ago, MrBill said:

2007... do you have a 994i or a 99i... Asking because I'm honestly not sure of the 994 release date but I thought it was later.

I just checked the label.   It's a 994i.   OK I see the problem... I had looked in my email for the earliest order from smarthome and it was 2007...   now I found the actual order confirmation for the 994i was in 2012.   Still that's about 10 years of service.

2 hours ago, scm2000 said:

I can limp along for a while, is Polisy is almost ready to be a complete replacement for isy with zwave and with a supported PLM?  or should I just upgrade to the zwave capable isy and hope my PLM doesnt fail?

I'd limp along for now.   Go ahead and order a Polisy (from UDI--pro model not needed), Zooz series 700 USB stick (amazon), and a USB PLM from smarthome as time and money permits.  Then you can either start moving your stuff over manually whenever you want, and the ISY on Polisy software becomes more stable.     With Polisy you can immediately take advantage of nodeservers in your current setup.

2 hours ago, Brian H said:

If the 2443 Access Points are a Hardware Revision 2.0 or higher.

They are built on the same base 2413 PLM main board and suffer the same capacitor issues as the 2413s PLM. I had a pair of mine fail and I rebuilt them from the long PLM repair thread here.

I opened up the access point...  it is looking similar to what was posted on capacitors for the PLM.  I have the board out on my bench and I'll think about trying the capacitor replacements.

Are the 2443 Access Points still in production? I don't see them on the Smarthome web site.

I have several, rev 1 and 1.6, not sure if they are still operational. Since I've been converting over to Dual-Band the last several years I don't think I need them anymore. I've uninstalled them and don't see any bad effects in my network.

-phil

7 minutes ago, vbphil said:

Are the 2443 Access Points still in production? I don't see them on the Smarthome web site.

I have several, rev 1 and 1.6, not sure if they are still operational. Since I've been converting over to Dual-Band the last several years I don't think I need them anymore. I've uninstalled them and don't see any bad effects in my network.

They aren't listed on smarthome anymore.  With dual band devices they aren't really needed.  All my switches are dual band now and I have no communication problems.

8 minutes ago, vbphil said:

I don't think I need them anymore. I've uninstalled them and don't see any bad effects in my network.

Are you sure.... you also have an open thread about using repeat loop band aids....

1 minute ago, MrBill said:

They aren't listed on smarthome anymore.  With dual band devices they aren't really needed.  All my switches are dual band now and I have no communication problems.

Are you sure.... you also have an open thread about using repeat loop band aids....

I think..... 

Just removed them this morning when I couldn't get them to link up anymore according to the manual. The rev 1 is so old the case is all yellow.

Just now, lilyoyo1 said:

Access points do not link to the ISY

Correct. According to the manual 2 Access points connect together. You plug one in, hit the set switch 4 times then plug the 2nd one in. Link is my word, although not sure what else to call it.

The 2443 Access Points where discontinued and the presently sold 2992-222 Range Extender is now what is used for communications coupling. If needed since Dual Band Devices have made the need for them mostly unneeded. It is a 2475D2 Lamplinc with the dimmer parts removed. Most used a full Dual Band device as they also could be used for load control. 

21 minutes ago, Brian H said:

The 2443 Access Points where discontinued and the presently sold 2992-222 Range Extender is now what is used for communications coupling. If needed since Dual Band Devices have made the need for them mostly unneeded. It is a 2475D2 Lamplinc with the dimmer parts removed. Most used a full Dual Band device as they also could be used for load control. 

Know of any way to test an old 2443. If these are dead I’ll throw them out. 

You can use the built in communications test [4 tap test] to check communications.

Depending on a V1 with white LED or V2 with a red/green LED. You will get a LED flash pattern to indicate communicating and on same or opposite phase.

The users manual gives the flash patterns for both versions and how a mixture of versions flash.

2443V2.pdf

Archived