ISY and Polisy *OR* ISY on Polisy???

8 hours ago, ase said:

Didn't want to further confuse the poor guy, so I wanted him to differentiate polisy hardware from the software, he said he didn't understand Node and so on. 

First you say that you didn't want to confuse the guy, so you confused terminology purposely.

then in the very next post the first line says:

7 hours ago, ase said:

except what we call it matters.

Polisy is the hardware

Polyglot and isy are the primary software that runs on Polisy.

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

UDI has been the creator of this naming confusion

UDI is a master of naming confusion ?

Two great examples:

• They are still called "Integer" variables, but they've had the capability of decimal places for years now.
  • The About screen of "ISY on Polisy" still calls the ISY software "firmware",  that's a term that applies to the 994 hardware, not to the software process called isy that runs on Polisy.  We'll being calling it "firmware version for many yours to come tho.
UDI is a master of naming confusion
Two great examples:
  • They are still called "Integer" variables, but they've had the capability of decimal places for years now.
  • The About screen of "ISY on Polisy" still calls the ISY software "firmware",  that's a term that applies to the 994 hardware, not to the software process called isy that runs on Polisy.  We'll being calling it "firmware version for many yours to come tho.
Yeah, and now polisy doesn't need to have major firmware. I am sure there is still some for booting.

Polisy has an SSD which can load software into RAM as any computer can now so the firmware designation becomes improper also. :)

Integer? I see your floating point there.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

On 12/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, MrBill said:

First you say that you didn't want to confuse the guy, so you confused terminology purposely.

then in the very next post the first line says:

Polisy is the hardware

Polyglot and isy are the primary software that runs on Polisy.

UDI is a master of naming confusion ?

Two great examples:

I wanted to call it what he "understood" it to be. Different objective. If a person only understands a mug to be a cup and you want to explain something about a mug to them you call it a cup so they understand. Again what we "say" is important. Sorry you can't catch me up in a logical conundrum buddy. One post is pointed at solving a person's problem and using their "terminology" so that they understand, the other post is to point out that if he understood the terminology that the group uses the miscommunication wouldn't happen.

I was pointing out the fact that terminology in any method is user sensitive. 

Hence why communication seems simple and yet people take 7 year college courses on it. 

My point was that words are how we think. You would be hard pressed to find a non-tech understands the term "firmware" yet to the highly technical most of what is called firmware isn't even firmware. 

There is not only a gap between non-tech users and technical users but between their experience level and their background. 

Then to top it off we have ubiquitous language that is used incorrectly or technical terms that become ubiquitous.

Look at the term Xerox, it comes from Xerographic. Xerox itself wasn't a word until the company comes about. I don't think to many people have ever asked their assistant to go make a xerographic. Kodak, another non-word.

Yet if I tell you to take a picture with a kodak, and Xerox it, you know what I mean.

UDI is actually quite good with technical terms, unfortunately the terms used within this industry are not singular in definition nor are they ubiquitous it the public "zeitgeist".

Many of the terms come from different sources and are either technical in their own right or BS marketing jargon. 

6 hours ago, ase said:

I wanted to call it what he "understood" it to be. Different objective. If a person only understands a mug to be a cup and you want to explain something about a mug to them you call it a cup so they understand. Again what we "say" is important. Sorry you can't catch me up in a logical conundrum buddy. One post is pointed at solving a person's problem and using their "terminology" so that they understand, the other post is to point out that if he understood the terminology that the group uses the miscommunication wouldn't happen.

I was pointing out the fact that terminology in any method is user sensitive. 

Hence why communication seems simple and yet people take 7 year college courses on it. 

My point was that words are how we think. You would be hard pressed to find a non-tech understands the term "firmware" yet to the highly technical most of what is called firmware isn't even firmware. 

There is not only a gap between non-tech users and technical users but between their experience level and their background. 

Then to top it off we have ubiquitous language that is used incorrectly or technical terms that become ubiquitous.

Look at the term Xerox, it comes from Xerographic. Xerox itself wasn't a word until the company comes about. I don't think to many people have ever asked their assistant to go make a xerographic. Kodak, another non-word.

Yet if I tell you to take a picture with a kodak, and Xerox it, you know what I mean.

UDI is actually quite good with technical terms, unfortunately the terms used within this industry are not singular in definition nor are they ubiquitous it the public "zeitgeist".

Many of the terms come from different sources and are either technical in their own right or BS marketing jargon. 

I've spent hours over the years defining terminology.   You say "except what we call it matters" then proceed to violate your own rule.  You were correct the first time.... "what we call it matters".

Seriously, you need to let it go. I explained what I was doing, I don't answer to you. If you are unable to "get it" then that is on you. You seem to have some type of complex that you "need" to be "right". I am here to help people if I need to break it down for people that is what I will do, if need to use their incorrect terminology to help them I will. Now growup and act like an adult. I will not respond to you any further and any further response from you will just show how petty you are. Go look for a fight elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, ase said:

Seriously, you need to let it go. I explained what I was doing, I don't answer to you. If you are unable to "get it" then that is on you. You seem to have some type of complex that you "need" to be "right". I am here to help people if I need to break it down for people that is what I will do, if need to use their incorrect terminology to help them I will. Now growup and act like an adult. I will not respond to you any further and any further response from you will just show how petty you are. Go look for a fight elsewhere.

I have no idea who is right (and I am not even sure whether that is important) but let's not get angry with each other and a different tone would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, ase said:

You're way overboard. No one posted for 5 days until you brought it back up. If that never happened, it wouldve already been settled.

Easy big guy.

Yeah we hear you, but to keep the peace we have to let things slide many times.

The forum also has a block user feature that can be useful, even on a temporary basis until 'absence makes your heart grow fonder' again :):)

..and it goes both ways.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Archived