Wireless Weatherproof Temperature Sensor for Hot Tub

smithlevenson

Hey,

Wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for a Wireless Temperature sensor to accurately monitor the temperature in my Hot Tub? It's too old to have any smart features. I have an ISY but haven't see anything that would work with it. 

Here is something a quick google search turned up, but I have no clue if it will work how I want. 

https://www.amazon.com/YoLink-Enabled-Automation-Monitoring-Devices/dp/B07TQLKQLJ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=yolink+hub&qid=1638723975&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/YoLink-Weatherproof-Temperature-Sensor-Required/dp/B08Z3XH313/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=yolink+hub&qid=1638723975&sr=8-11

Seems pretty affordable if it actually worked. I prefer home network instead of cloud and internet based, but I am flexible too. 

3 minutes ago, smithlevenson said:

Hey,

Wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for a Wireless Temperature sensor to accurately monitor the temperature in my Hot Tub? It's too old to have any smart features. I have an ISY but haven't see anything that would work with it. 

Here is something a quick google search turned up, but I have no clue if it will work how I want. 

https://www.amazon.com/YoLink-Enabled-Automation-Monitoring-Devices/dp/B07TQLKQLJ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=yolink+hub&qid=1638723975&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/YoLink-Weatherproof-Temperature-Sensor-Required/dp/B08Z3XH313/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=yolink+hub&qid=1638723975&sr=8-11

Seems pretty affordable if it actually worked. I prefer home network instead of cloud and internet based, but I am flexible too. 

The wirelesstags.net outdoor temp sensor with waterproof probe is what I use as a backup to the pentair automation.

The advantage is that there is a nodeserver already in existence to get the temp value into your ISY.   Unfortunately while your Polyglot instance is talking to an address on your local network the system doesn't work without the cloud server.   It's up 99.999% of the time but there have been a couple glitches.  I wish it was entirely local.  

Sometime next year I'm going to be experimenting with zigbee temp sensors in hopes of making the system 100% local.

57 minutes ago, MrBill said:

The wirelesstags.net outdoor temp sensor with waterproof probe is what I use as a backup to the pentair automation.

The advantage is that there is a nodeserver already in existence to get the temp value into your ISY.   Unfortunately while your Polyglot instance is talking to an address on your local network the system doesn't work without the cloud server.   It's up 99.999% of the time but there have been a couple glitches.  I wish it was entirely local.  

Sometime next year I'm going to be experimenting with zigbee temp sensors in hopes of making the system 100% local.

Awesome! I am going to check them out. I don't like data going to the cloud, but this is pretty minor and I don't need 100% uptime, just would like an alarm if the heater quits and the temp is going to be low. 

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

One other question, Where did you mount the temp sensor?

18 minutes ago, smithlevenson said:

One other question, Where did you mount the temp sensor?

both my pool and spa are in-ground, I used nylon wire ties to clamp the sensor housing to the underside of the skimmer cover (though the finger holes) and just dropped the sensor into the skimmer.  It's not the greatest, or elegant, I've considered switching to a pipe mounted sensor, but haven't compared the specs to see if this one or similar is compatible.

Archived