PLM 2413U replacement for PLM 2413S?

Jimini

No, ISY994i only uses Serial PLM.  There are numerous threads about this and options. You can take a board out of the USB and put in the Serial and it could/should work (again, plenty of threads describing how to do this can be found through search). 

If not needing a replacement right away you have the option of waiting for “ISY on Polisy” to be further along in development and can use the USB PLM with the Polisy to run the ISY.  You would only need the Polisy and PLM (no longer need the 994i).  But that’s currently still being developed so not 100% ready.

Thank you for the added information.  In fact, I don't need a PLM now.  But now that I just discovered that Insteon is disappearing, it seemed beneficial to at least look for a PLM spare as backup support my large number of Insteon devices.  Waiting is reasonable but isn't it likely that the few USB PLMs will be gone by the time the new ISY on Polisy is available?  Or do I need to search more for new threads on what to do about Insteon disappearing?  Even though I first saw the issue of no more Insteon recently as now I have a new need for the added feature of the I/O Linc (the other thread I jumped into), most of the discussion I have found on this topic so far are 1-2 years old.  

38 minutes ago, Jimini said:

Thank you for the added information.  In fact, I don't need a PLM now.  But now that I just discovered that Insteon is disappearing, it seemed beneficial to at least look for a PLM spare as backup support my large number of Insteon devices.  Waiting is reasonable but isn't it likely that the few USB PLMs will be gone by the time the new ISY on Polisy is available?  Or do I need to search more for new threads on what to do about Insteon disappearing?  Even though I first saw the issue of no more Insteon recently as now I have a new need for the added feature of the I/O Linc (the other thread I jumped into), most of the discussion I have found on this topic so far are 1-2 years old.  

The way I look at it a USB PLM can act as a backup PLM board for ISY994 further support in the even yours does decide to fail in the future. Then if you decide to switch over to the polisy the USB PLM can act as the Insteon interface for that box. This gives a lot of breathing room to protect you from being locked out in the event of your current PLM failing. Then with or without a polisy you have the opportunity to start switching to Zwave at a future point. Who know what else my develop in the meantime. I have heard a lot of good reports about ZigBee in the air. Many serious industrial and commercial applications use it with good success already.

So then a USB PLM can somehow be used with my ISY 994?  

When your post popped up, I was reading another thread about ISY and Polisy and there was mention of "the new USB PLM".  Is there some new USB PLM to replace the old 2413U?  What should I be purchasing as my backup for now and replacement when ISY on Polisy is ready for prime time?

7 minutes ago, Jimini said:

When your post popped up, I was reading another thread about ISY and Polisy and there was mention of "the new USB PLM".  Is there some new USB PLM to replace the old 2413U?  What should I be purchasing as my backup for now and replacement when ISY on Polisy is ready for prime time?

Here is a thread that gives some information you are asking about. @Geddygave some answers there.

1 hour ago, Jimini said:

Again, NO. You cannot use the USB PLM with the ISY994i. Asked and answered (twice now).

As @Brian H comments (and I eluded to previously) you can take the "daughter" board out of the USB version and put in the Serial version and it should work. There's been lots of posts about this.

Here's one for example: 

As far as "Insteon going away", nobody knows anything for certain. Sure, devices are hard to find right now, but it's been said that's due to supply chain issues. It's worldwide and many are sick and tired of talking/hearing about it, but it's still true. And sadly, (IMO) the makers of Insteon are now focused on getting the Nokia line out that they're using all internal parts they can get their hands on to make the new line (that should have released earlier this fall).

So...to answer the questions you have and that so many others have been asking...

Nobody here KNOWS what will happen. We're here to support what people have now. Sure, some like to speculate and some like to say they have "insider" information, but it's still mostly speculation or banter as if there was specific information it probably could not be posted in a public forum until the company makes some sort of announcement.

1 hour ago, Jimini said:

Is there some new USB PLM to replace the old 2413U?  What should I be purchasing as my backup for now and replacement when ISY on Polisy is ready for prime time?

First - No, there's no "NEW" PLM to replace the old. I guess this could be false as I've seen some people talk about a different model number, but without digging into too much of the history of the USB PLM I'll say nothing has been new for a few years. (sure, some that keep up with this more can prove me wrong, and I'm fine with that, but it doesn't change the answer to your initial question.

Second - We (the forums) are not pre-sales support to suggest what you should buy. You can review the thousands of posts and suggestions on the forum to determine what works for your abilities and your needs. My current suggestion/recommendation would be to buy a USB PLM, remove the board and use it in a Serial PLM. If you have the skills needed to change capacitors on the existing PLM then you can search the forums for parts to replace failed parts on a failed PLM and remove and replace parts on your own. But that's much more involved, and has also been discussed and documented in other areas of the forums. 

Third - replacement for when ISY on Polisy is "prime time" - a USB PLM will work with this method. That would be a good thing to have. Since there seems to be available stock in those currently somebody pointed out recently that it's probably because they never sold many to begin with. So there is clearly a "risk" of them being old stock. But, they would be new and should have a decent life expectancy. 

Good luck!

Archived