Motion sensor on then off at same time

tome

My program on the ISY that control lights based on a motion sensor also notifies me when my entry courtyard motion sensor is tripped (on as well as off). Last night I got these messages. The motion sensor is set for a 5 minute timeout.

Seems like a bug in either the motion sensor or the ISY:

====================================================

EntryMotionOn

'EntryMotionSensor-Sensor (13 F4 9A 1)' set On at 12/27/2009 02:49:35.

----------------------------------------

At: 12/27/2009 02:49:35

Program: EntryMotionOn

Device: EntryMotionSensor-Sensor (13 F4 9A 1)

Action: On

EntryMotionOff

'EntryMotionSensor-Sensor (13 F4 9A 1)' set Off at 12/27/2009 02:49:35.

----------------------------------------

At: 12/27/2009 02:49:35

Program: EntryMotionOff

Device: EntryMotionSensor-Sensor (13 F4 9A 1)

Action: Off

It may help to post your ISY program to be able to determine if it is a bug or program fault.

I have two programs.

EntryMotionOn:

If
  From Sunset
  To Sunrise (next day)
  And Control 'EntryMotionSensor-Sensor' is switched On
Then
  Wait 1 second
  Set 'EntryLightsEast' On
  Send Notification to All
Else
  - No Actions (To add one, press 'Action')

and EntryMotionOff:

If
  From Sunset
  To Sunrise (next day)
  And Control 'EntryMotionSensor-Sensor' is switched Off
Then
  Send Notification to All
  Wait 1 second
  Repeat 2 times
    Set 'EntryLightsEast' Off
Else
  - No Actions (To add one, press 'Action')

Hopefully, the suggestion to use status, rather than control, is a quick fix for you. If it were me (having a vague understanding of the difference between the two can mean), I would be tempted to play around some to get a better understanding of how these motion sensors work.

I would take the motion sensor down and bring it to the room where the computer is visible. Open the ISY admin box, then open event viewer. From there, trigger some motion in front of the sensor and see what kinds of signals it transmits. You can also see what kind of responses the ISY gives. Find out where the command to turn off the light comes from. Is shutting down before turning on the normal response of a device when it recieves an on command when it is already on?

Another option to consider it to use the ISY to turn the lights off after motion sensed. Simply put a five-minute wait in your program, then send an off command. You will need to address the possibility of sunrise occuring during the five-minute countdown, but this is pretty easy to solve. There is a very interesting discussion of motion sensors in the UDI Wiki. Check it out. There are many threads on this topic in the forum here.

Hi tome,

You are using Control which means that the program gets evaluated every time the motion sensor senses a motion. If you are looking for status change notifications, please use Status.

With kind regards,

Michel

But how does that account for an On and an Off in the same minute?

Also, I thought using status on a motion sensor was incorrect because a motion sensor could not be queried for status? I thought I had read that in another thread...

Tome

Hi tome,

1. You receive both on/off in status as well. But, the evaluation happens if and only if the status has actually changed

2. You cannot query the status of a Motion Sensor but ISY keeps track of it for you and is as accurate as your communications. So, if you communications are 100% between the MS and ISY, then your status is 100% correct

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived