Upgrading 4.x to 5.x zwave questions

SirParadox

I have an isy 994i 1024 Ir.  It use to show plus z or what not.

many times I have upgraded the firmware but always scared, fear of failure, to upgrade zwave.

I want to upgrade to the latest, and therefore ordered a replacement zwave addon board.

Ive read many last forum posts about upgrading zwave, getting a dongle, migrating primary to it, etc.

however in the latest upgrade (

It mentions 

Z-Wave migration from 4.x.x branch

All Z-Wave nodes will be recreated when migrating from 4.x.x.  Some nodes will have different addresses, and some devices will have a different set of nodes.  In some cases, it is easier to rebuild your network rather than migrate.

does this mean if I do a backup, I do not need to move primary or do anything funcky?  
it says backup zwave,  how?  I know how to backup my config, but how do,I backup the zwave.

there are tons of posts.  I’m trying to get the latest expert howto.  

thanks in advance !

To back up Zwave right click on Zwave in the admin console then click on backup. That will write your Zwave configuration to the SD card.

Be sure to follow the firmware update instructions exactly

You should update to the latest release, 5.3.4

Note: you must have the 500 series Zwave installed to use 5.3.4 as it's not compatible with the 300 series dongle.

Well the major upgrade worked.  Sadly all my z-wave devices, even carefully following the instructions step-by-step, all restored as unavailable or without any channels.

image.png.0e10535efe11e95cabad265bc94a5896.png

(Late night smoke break automation :) )

image.png.07649ea338ccbd41f4f130cbdd71b620.png

Do I have to go through each one, remove, re-add?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

It shows v 5.2.3

I followed these steps

==

1.  Before moving to 5.3.0, in 4.x.x, Backup your Z-Wave Dongle and then Backup your ISY.

2.  Replace the 300 Series Z-Wave board in your ISY with a 500 Series Board

3.  Install 5.3.2

4.  Start the Admin Console and Restore the Z-Wave dongle (will take the Z-Wave network you backed up in step 1, and writes it to the new 500 series board)

5.  Do Z-Wave -> Synchronize Nodes -> Al

==

Also when I click on one of the devices, on the right it says "ZW002_1 - Uninitalized"  How do I initalize it??

Half the units are Aeotech 5 motion sensors, yes battery operated.  Then I have about 6 plug in repeaters.

My Firmware and UI both read the same version.

Of note.  A few multi sensors did appear in the list, and have details (right side) but did not break out those details (left side list)... so I can't program on say a MultiSensors.Temperature.

At this point. I gather I should remove, and re-add each of them.

What is the best how-to?  

1. select one, up top, z-wave, remove?

2. Select it, left list, right-click, delete?

@SirParadox

For those Zwave devices that aren't working you should click on "Remove a Zwave Device" in the Zwave menu, then click on their set button.  Don't use the delete option.  You can then click on Add a Zwave device to re-install them.

Make sure all your repeaters are installed and working before you add the Multisensors

@SirParadox May I ask why you (only) went to v 5.2.3 (I think you mean 5.3.2)? If you're upgrading past the 5.0.16C because you have a Series 500 board you should upgrade all the way to the current release of 5.3.4. Perhaps some "bugs" might have been fixed in later updates. 

I cannot answer to your specific question as I don't use z-wave, but my first, and foremost suggestion would be to fully upgrade to 5.3.4 first before fixing what you've done to this point. I wouldn't want you to have to do this again.

I mean you even linked to a post that is in the "PREVIOUS BUILD" area. You should upgrade to the pinned firmware in the CURRENT RELEASE section.

2 minutes ago, SirParadox said:

I thought 5.2 wqs latest.

Once you're up to 5.3.4 then fix any issues you have. There's no since to go up to a random build once later builds come out. Even if you thought 5.2 (or, again, even 5.3.2 because that's what you linked to in your first post) was the latest version, the first "official build" to support the z-wave 500 series controller was 5.3.0. But even that's been superseded by updates that have fixed some issues along the way. While UDI cannot call the 5.3.4 an official build because it has not been certified by z-wave (that costs a lot of money to go through certification) the certified build of 5.3.0 has minor bug fixes to reach the current supported build of 5.3.4.  Additionally, 5.3.4 was released in July 2021 so has over 6 months of life under its belt with very little issue from most users. 

4 minutes ago, SirParadox said:

I only use zwave for random items not core items

True...good that you're fixing things that aren't integral to your system so hope that you can resolve any issues that remain. 

Also, @lilyoyo1 made some great notes in this z-wave tips and tricks post that you might want to familiarize yourself with in case it will help resolve any issues that result from the upgrade.

One final question and a couple of suggestions...

What kind of computer are you using to access the Admin Console?

If Windows please make sure you clear the java cache and use the ISY Launcher to put the ISY Launcher icon on your desktop to access your ISY994i. When you run the ISY Launcher you should see the ISY Finder window and if on the same local network should find the ISY. Click anywhere on the row of your ISY to get a menu to access the admin console.

It should look similar to this:

image.png

LAN will download the admin console UI directly from your ISY (so it is sometimes a little slow).
Cloud downloads from the UD server the proper UI for your firmware. (sometimes this is quicker)

This new process makes it easier to always match the UI and Firmware. A key point to be aware of when updating firmware and starting to make changes.

Following your upgrade and the first time you enter the Admin Console please go to "Help" -> "About" and CONFIRM that your Firmware and UI match. 

They should look like this:

image.png

Good luck!

Archived