MagicHome RGB Led Controller - Port 53 open and BIND running?

deanfourie

So, I really struggled to find a place to post this, and still not sure if this is the right place but here I go anyway. This is more of a question in relation to security on a device ive recently added to HA.

I just did a portscan on my new MagicHome RGB LED controller

https://sparts.nz/products/smart-wifi-rgb-led-strip-controller

And found that port 53 is open and has a BIND DNS server running on it! WHY? Why is this device running as a DNS server and not a DNS client? To me this is dodgy and would love to hear your thoughts and comments as to why this device needs to be responding to DNS queries.

Thanks

Very odd.

If it was running any response to port 53 it would compete with your router's DNS server, and likely confuse your LAN operation so badly it wouldn't function.

I use a few other brands of MagicHome protocol LED controllers, including about 30 RGBCW lightbulbs, and they have never caused DNS problems.

Has the controller been assigned it's WiFi credentials yet? This may be part of the discovery / setup  method some use temporarily until they are setup with SSID and password. Some can be setup using BT but most of mine use some protocol, only the mobile app understands. That may be port 53 and they are serving until setup.

Archived