ISY controls engine block heater on truck

elbieyates

I was trying to figure out why my electric bill went up so much in the winter, so I started looking at amp draws.

I didn't see anything at first, until a weekday. I get home from work, plug my truck into the extension cord out front to keep the block nice and warm, and would leave it plugged in all night.

After thinking about this, I tried something, I plugged in my truck the next morning at 6, and at 8 I left for work, engine block temp was 102 when I started truck.

I left it plugged in all night, and engine temp was 104 when I started up the next morning. So leaving it plugged in for an extra 12 hours raised the temp by twp degrees..

I plugged my appliance link into the garage, and plugged my extension cord into the appliance link, and the truck into the extension cord. I set a program to turn it on 2 hours before I leave.

By my math, 12 hours at 6 amps = (120*6*12)=8.64 KWhrs per night * 20 = ~172 KWhrs a month. Payback for appliance linc is only 2-3 months.

I need to get the weatherbug app so I can put in weather variables. I love my ISY. I couldn't do it without all of your help.

Now off to automate the biodiesel production shed and I'll be set....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived