Zooz Zen32 as a fan controller

I initially purchased the Zooz Zen32 to use as a fan/light controller.  I wanted something to turn a light on and off as well as control the fan speed.  I couple this with the Insteon Fanlinc and this procedure focuses on that goal.

I got the parameter settings that I use from the Zooz website.

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/608-zen32-scene-controller-advanced-settings/

Things that I have noticed about the Zen32

The large primary button behaves just like any other Insteon button.  Both scenes and programs recognize a status of ON or OFF.  I plan to use this button for either the fan light, or any other light in the room.

The smaller four button set does not behave like other Insteon buttons.  Near as I can tell, the only place that recognizes it is in a program.  And a program can only trigger based on a status of ON.  I can't find anyway to trigger based on a status of OFF.  So all you can really tell is that the button has been pressed.  But that is useful.

I am going to play around with using a program variable to track an ON/OFF status so that I can recognize ON and OFF - but not today.  Today's goal was to control a fan.  And I got that working.

First things first

Change the behavior of the LED on the primary button to be lit when on, and to not be lit when off.  This more closely mimics the keypadlinc behavor as well as the behavior of the smaller buttons that I am implementing.  Make sure to click "Set Configuration" to enact.  This is optional depending on how you like your LED's to behave.
 image.thumb.png.9d077f8455beb32ba36c7bf8a21f0ce1.png

Fan Control
Similar to how a keypadlinc uses separate scenes for each fan speed, I created a program for each fan speed.  As a button is pressed, the program will:
    1) Set the appropriate fan speed
    2) Turn on the LED for that button
    3) Turn off the LED's for the other 3 buttons

This will behave as "Radio" buttons - meaning the only button that is lit is the last one pressed.  

Fan Low
 image.png.f361fe2049d13091da3db54755290d22.png

Fan Med
 image.png.fe6ac82fae01b61170289c436e02d4ea.png

Fan High
 image.png.1bbbbe4b6b5dec078880331f809782d9.png

Fan Off
 image.png.bda05382e66dab883ac54f43a7cf60fa.png

Now, if they just offered custom etched keys.  But I am going to try using my Dymo label maker using a clear tape.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Did something similiar in Homeseer except instead of the buttons controlling a fan they control a set of Hue bulbs and set them to a specific color. As a bonus I set the LED color for each button on the Zooz switch to match the color the lights will go to when that button is pressed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ended up that I did not like the look and feel of the zazzle wall plates. So, I found a guy on Etsy that makes custom plates.  They are a high-quality metal and the cost ends up about the same as what the Insteon custom keys used to cost.

Tedstuff | Modern, Elegant, and Fun Mailboxes and Light fixtures

plate_sm.jpg

Edited by jkmcfadden
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 3/22/2022 at 11:45 AM, jkmcfadden said:

if they just offered custom etched keys.  But I am going to try using my Dymo label maker using a clear tape.

it bring memories to be back here. I was a heavy use of ISY994i many years ago with insteon.

we do offer zen32 engraving!

domotinc-customs.com

keypadcustomfront--edited-1673739090269.

• Like 1