Smarthome forum appears to be offline

gregkinney

@simplextech Good thing you chose HTTP rather than COAP because the 2nd Gen Shellies (ESP32 based Plus and Pro) that are (I assume) mostly or completely  replacing the ESP8266 1st Gen do not use COAP.  On the other hand they allow MQTT and the Shelly Cloud to coexist on the same device (optionally).     There are some subtle differences in the HTTP responses of Gen2 vs Gen1 that may require attention also, though it seems in recent firmware these differences have been narrowed somewhat.  Obviously you have a connection to a better source of info than me. 

7 minutes ago, simplextech said:

They are highly configurable indeed which can also be a problem for integration.  I like the CoAP and the MQTT integrations.  The problem with MQTT integration was the need to also have a MQTT broker also integrated with the node server and as such it would almost be like having 2 node servers to achieve one goal.  This route posed somewhat cumbersome and problematic.  Also NOTE that by using MQTT it disabled the "Cloud" access which disabled the Mobile App functionality which most people would prefer to also have available.  So with these issues I went the route of using the HTTP interface and the Shelly "Actions" to provide instant feedback to the ISY.  This has proven to work very well in practice.  In order to overcome the large amount of options and configuration that is what is taking the most amount of time.  Building those features in a way that works within the ISY Admin Console Interface and for each device.  So yes this one is taking a long time to get right and be ready for people.  Now with the porting to PG3 that has added some well... challenges and my attention is diverted to working with other developers to get PG3 ready before I put work into my own node servers.

The second Gen Shelly products (Plus or Pro) can support MQTT and Cloud at the same time, though you still need the consumer app to enable Cloud. I'm not a fan of Coud dependencies. If your ISP has an outage, the remote server goes down, or enough nodes in between drop, then you better have local control as a backup. I prefer local first, possibly supplemented by Cloud services. If it is important to you to have it, though, it's hard to beat Shelly's implementation - opt-in, anonymous, GDPR compliant, and free (infrastructure costs for the device's lifespan factored into the hardware price). 

1 minute ago, Doug Roberson said:

free (infrastructure costs for the device's lifespan factored into the hardware price). 

Of course this means that for those of us that would never use the Shelly Cloud for access to devices have to pay a share of the cost for infrastructure we don't intend to use.   Just saying...   

On the other hand since I am sure the Shelly Cloud is a big part of getting the multitudes to adopt initially,  by amortizing the development cost over a bigger number it gets the hardware cost down for those of us who wouldn't use it so maybe it's not a bad bargain.  

8 minutes ago, stillwater said:

@simplextech Good thing you chose HTTP rather than COAP because the 2nd Gen Shellies (ESP32 based Plus and Pro) that are (I assume) mostly or completely  replacing the ESP8266 1st Gen do not use COAP.  On the other hand they allow MQTT and the Shelly Cloud to coexist on the same device (optionally).     There are some subtle differences in the HTTP responses of Gen2 vs Gen1 that may require attention also, though it seems in recent firmware these differences have been narrowed somewhat.  Obviously you have a connection to a better source of info than me. 

Yes, we switched y UDP from CoAP. All of our APIs are now RPC based, with JSON payload and all functions available for all transports. The difference now is do you need a transport that announces or one you poll or a mix (MQTT)

5 minutes ago, stillwater said:

Of course this means that for those of us that would never use the Shelly Cloud for access to devices have to pay a share of the cost for infrastructure we don't intend to use.   Just saying...   

On the other hand since I am sure the Shelly Cloud is a big part of getting the multitudes to adopt initially,  by amortizing the development cost over a bigger number it gets the hardware cost down for those of us who wouldn't use it so maybe it's not a bad bargain.  

Pennies. Literally less than a nickel. And the devices start at very low price point. :)

2 minutes ago, Doug Roberson said:

Yes, we switched y UDP from CoAP. All of our APIs are now RPC based, with JSON payload and all functions available for all transports. The difference now is do you need a transport that announces or one you poll or a mix (MQTT)

Once a few things on my plate get stable then I'll definitely be reaching out as I port the node server to PG3 and determine the best route of doing so to support legacy and New devices.

2 hours ago, simplextech said:

Whoa there... hold up just a second.... Shelly devices do NOT need to be flashed to be integrated.  I have a node server in development (for a while) that works with Shelly devices out of the box with limited user input (basic config info) for each device.  I do think you are thinking of other common Wifi devices that people flash with Tasmota firmware.  This process is NOT needed for Shelly devices.

Just wanted to clear that up before this goes too far off the rails.

Some are looking for excuses to bash every product except the ones they promote. If we were all afraid to upgrade devices we would all be running ISY-26 boxes and driving pagers instead of smart phones. I have installed many upgrades since ISY V3.xx  I have upgraded my A/V receiever and TV about 6-8 times each since new. Geesh what a crock.

9 hours ago, larryllix said:

Some are looking for excuses to bash every product except the ones they promote. If we were all afraid to upgrade devices we would all be running ISY-26 boxes and driving pagers instead of smart phones. I have installed many upgrades since ISY V3.xx  I have upgraded my A/V receiever and TV about 6-8 times each since new. Geesh what a crock.

Here we go again with the shots. If you took time to actually read for comprehension you'd see no one was bashing anything. 

Sharing concerns about how a product works isn't bashing. Its through debate that we innovate and improve. If no one questions anything then nothing improves and grows.

So what that youve upgraded your tvs a few times! How does that compare to upgrading a multitude of devices on a regular basis? If their firmware upgrades are done in the background and automatically, I think it would be great as going around to manually push updates to each device can be time consuming to the point where people probably won't do it. Thats a concern as we all know how people are. Even windows do it automatically because people won't update manually on their own. Me expressing that isn't bashing..

I talk to multiple people each day about home automation and what they're looking to get out of it in their homes. I keep up with the trends to stay ahead of things as I do look to expand my offerings to my clientele to a certain degree. Those conversations are what i base alot of my opinions on vs a bubble which is solely my home or a family member's home.  

I simply said I'm hard pressed to see people on a large scale wanting to do certain things. Bashing it would've been me saying how bad, terrible, and worthless the devices were. Or how crazy they are for making it, don't know what they're doing, etc.....sorta like you do with hue, insteon, and other stuff. None of which i did. The product is probably good/great for certain people and I hope it succeeds as the more options out there means the more options people have. 

Here we go again with the shots. If you took time to actually read for comprehension you'd see no one was bashing anything. 
Sharing concerns about how a product works isn't bashing. Its through debate that we innovate and improved no one questions anything then nothing improves and grows.
So what youve upgraded your tvs a few times! How does that compare to upgrading a multitude of devices on a regular basis? If their firmware upgrades are done in the background and automatically, I think it would be great as going around to manually push updates to each device can be time consuming to the point where people probably won't do it. Thats a concern as we all know how people are. Even windows do it automatically because people won't update manually on their own. Me expressing that isn't bashing..
I talk to multiple people each day about home automation and what they're looking to get out of it in their home. I keep up with the trends to stay ahead of things as I do look to expand my offerings to my clientele to a certain degree. Those conversations are what i base alot of my opinions on vs the bubble which is solely my home or a family member's home.  
I simply said I'm hard pressed to see people on a large scale wanting to do certain things. Bashing it would've been me saying how bad, terrible, and worthless the devices were. How crazy they are for making it, don't know what they're doing, etc.....sorta like you do with hue, insteon, and other stuff. None of which i did. The product is probably good/great for certain people and I hope it succeeds as the more options out there means the more options people have. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rorichmond said:

So does this mean I am not getting my $169 pre order refunded?

/sigh

You would probably need to email them direct. We wouldn't have that information. 

The controller is an accounting firm called Aramino. Maybe try reaching out to them or your CC company

1 hour ago, TheLastWorkingHubPro said:

If I could only find a way to get another Insteon device into HomeKit (or my HubPro, wherever it needs to be) I'd be happy.

This isn't the forum for that. Unfortunately you're own your own since Insteons forum are down

29 minutes ago, GeorgeLG said:

What does this mean for existing Insteon installs needing to dial into the Insteon servers to control lighting and thermostats with the Insteon hub and iphone app? Today the servers stopped responding. Thanks,

George

You're out of luck. You'd need to dump the system or swap to something that supports insteon like polisy with an Insteon USB stick (unless you have a PLM).

6 hours ago, GeorgeLG said:

What does this mean for existing Insteon installs needing to dial into the Insteon servers to control lighting and thermostats with the Insteon hub and iphone app? Today the servers stopped responding. Thanks,

George

One of the many reasons I hate cloud based services.  Whenever I consider buying a cloud based device, I ask myself if I would be OK tossing it in the trash in a few months.  If the answer is no, I don't buy it.

10 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

One of the many reasons I hate cloud based services.  Whenever I consider buying a cloud based device, I ask myself if I would be OK tossing it in the trash in a few months.  If the answer is no, I don't buy it.

So no other device can control or monitor my installed insteon switches and thermostats?

George

Archived