Insteon Hubs Bricked? Insteon going out of business? What about switch purchase, what now?

mvgossman

what company would you say is 'run well'?

A perfect example is the forum you’re typing on right now! UDI has been in business for more than fifteen years and over those years continues to add more value, features, and integration to their ISY 994 Series Controller.

The CEO of Universal Devices Incorporated is Michel. He literally works the support line via email, telephone, remote assistance!

One of the rarest things he does is provide feedback on the forums?!?

Name any CEO / Company that has the head of the company do this???

His team is small, agile, and talented and works toward progress not perfection each and everyday.

The hallmark of UDI is communications to the customer base. The phrase skin in the game describes Michel and UDI.

Another perfect example of leading by example and supporting the hell out of their customer base is the premier energy monitoring company Brultech!

Brultech designs and makes the worlds best enterprise class energy monitor.

I’ll stress again what do these two companies offer each and everyday?!?

Open communication to their customer base. What did anyone ever see from the CEO of Insteon - Nothing!

The guy is a piece of sh^t which has been stated many times here as to the why’s.

2 hours ago, Teken said:

A perfect example is the forum you’re typing on right now! UDI has been in business for more than fifteen years and over those years continues to add more value, features, and integration to their ISY 994 Series Controller.

The CEO of Universal Devices Incorporated is Michel. He literally works the support line via email, telephone, remote assistance!

His team is small, agile, and talented and works toward progress not perfection each and everyday.

The hallmark of UDI is communications to the customer base. The phrase skin in the game describes Michel and UDI.

Another perfect example of leading by example and supporting the hell out of their customer base is the premier energy monitoring company Brultech!

Open communication to their customer base. What did anyone ever see from the CEO of Insteon - Nothing!

The guy is a piece of sh^t which has been stated many times here as to the why’s.

Tell us how you really feel! ?

23 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Tell us how you really feel! ?

What really has me amped up is the fact even on their last day. Not a soul took the time to post something on any of their social media accounts. 

All they did was shut it down and remove their work profile from the same . . . ?

Can you imagine you're Craig or that other guy who has worked there for more than twenty years?!? What are you supposed to put on your resume that you've been doing nothing for 25 years???

Rob's a dirty slimy mangy kunt - end of line . . . ?

He makes that epic imbecile (Past CEO) of Microsoft Steve Ballmer actually look great! ?Even that mouth breather took the time to inundate you and everyone else with senseless emails, memo's, team meetings, etc.  

22 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Thats why I say zero to none. To be honest though, there was also never a need to steal the IP since theres no money in it. Its of limited use outside N.A and would get shut down before they made their money back. Zwave and other technologies accomplishes the same thing as insteon at the same price (if not more) they would get copying insteon's tech. Especially since they couldnt sell in Europe, S.A nor N.A

I'm pretty sure Insteon stuff sold in Europe.  For quite a few years now ~everything they sold was 100-270vac 50-60hz.

1 hour ago, Teken said:

What really has me amped up is the fact even on their last day. Not a soul took the time to post something on any of their social media accounts. 

All they did was shut it down and remove their work profile from the same . . . ?

Can you imagine you're Craig or that other guy who has worked there for more than twenty years?!? What are you supposed to put on your resume that you've been doing nothing for 25 years???

Rob's a dirty slimy mangy kunt - end of line . . . ?

He makes that epic imbecile (Past CEO) of Microsoft Steve Ballmer actually look great! ?Even that mouth breather took the time to inundate you and everyone else with senseless emails, memo's, team meetings, etc.  

Pretty much always happens like this.  There will be rumors (or not).  They don't come out and say we are closing in 90 days or whatever.  The chaos of the last 90 days (or whatever) would be worse than just "boom" done.  There is no graceful way to go out of business.  There are many examples where people show up to work on a Monday to find the doors are locked and the furniture is gone.  The only graceful exits happen when a company closes a division while otherwise staying in business.  Here the shut down is financed by the part of the company that is still in business.  Though they should have made an announcement on that last day rather than just shutting down the server.

50 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

I'm pretty sure Insteon stuff sold in Europe.  For quite a few years now ~everything they sold was 100-270vac 50-60hz.

They have an extremely small footprint there. Regardless, they also respect our patents/copywriter, etc there so if insteon was copied, whoever did it would be prevented from selling it there as well.

In addition, 50-60hz and 270vac is fine but the RF was different for europe

1 hour ago, apostolakisl said:

I could go on about this for days as this was one of the major failings of not expanding the Insteon brand. There's only like 8 billion people on the planet and Asia / Europe / Middle East represent more than 70% of the worlds population!

Yet, this senile imbecile never ever added the same hardware for our brothers across the globe?!?!

Literally free money left on the table by this inept aszz clown . . .

Every new piece of hardware was already dual frequency and multi-voltage. It would take almost nothing for them to change the frequency for the battery only devices and have them tested and certified for domestic use.

Yet, more than ten years goes by and the ring leader operating this circus doesn't move an inch to take market share . . .

This only gets worse in North America because you guessed it . . . Clowns are us does absolutely nothing to improve the existing hardware line. Not once do they take a great idea and make it better they simply throw sh^t at the wall and wait for it to stick.

Anything that was solid, moved, and made money they dicked around adding things that should have been present 20 years ago! To add insult to injury this incompetent fool decides to launch a new line hoping to negate the bad press the existing Insteon line had.

He spends all this money to buy the rights to use Nokia adds lipstick to a pig. Goes through the effort to file all the FCC documents and testing. Spends more money on sh^t software for yet another POS HUB, opens the doors to preorders and charges everyone's CC.

Than . . .

Wait for it . . .

Takes all the customers money, closes the doors, and runs away without a peep!

Like a bad **** in the wind it just lingers with a taste in your mouth!

34 minutes ago, mvgossman said:

Where does one access these? Are they manufactured in another facility??

That is what they are.  Look at the label on a 2477d for example.  Though I am reading from others that because the rf was in a freq not allowed in Europe they didn't sell there.  I don't know, I thought I saw some stuff about them selling products there, but maybe not.  Obviously the stuff would work in Europe, but their FCC wouldn't allow you to sell it there if indeed the freq is wrong.  I suppose you might be in violation to even use it if you brought it over in a suitcase, but who would know.

5 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

That is what they are.  Look at the label on a 2477d for example.  Though I am reading from others that because the rf was in a freq not allowed in Europe they didn't sell there.  I don't know, I thought I saw some stuff about them selling products there, but maybe not.  Obviously the stuff would work in Europe, but their FCC wouldn't allow you to sell it there if indeed the freq is wrong.  I suppose you might be in violation to even use it if you brought it over in a suitcase, but who would know.

No, you're correct they did sell hardware outside of North America. It was a small variety which the company never ever expanded on.

Just zero business sense . . .

31 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

There was a specific line for the EU and legal frequencies there. New Zealand/Aus, Middle East, etc.

I'm going down with the ship! Just dropped four bills for my future needs.   If you're looking for NEW product to rathole away.    EPRICESOURCE.com has inventory, but you'll pay!  Beats the used over priced ebay parts.  Good luck

Some of the manuals show part numbers for different areas of the world. The main part number was the same but the suffix was changed. For the necessary local AC plug on it if it was a plug in along with the correct RF frequency. Along with the more universal power supply voltages and 60Hz or 50Hz.

Some of the wired in switches were 100VAC  to 277VAC 60 or 50 cycles. With the US RF frequencies in them. The older 2242 HUB was sold in Europe with the correct AC cord and RF frequency.

I believe the European modules where scarce even before the present situation.

10 hours ago, Teken said:

with all due respect - you make a lot of assumptions about them - came close with this

Nobody will every truly know what the overall intent was with this guy. But, his and the companies actions prove out their plan was a epic failure. 

first part is probably true - we don't know - but then you declare the plan that you don't know - a failure

with all due respect - you make a lot of assumptions about them - came close with this
Nobody will every truly know what the overall intent was with this guy. But, his and the companies actions prove out their plan was a epic failure. 
first part is probably true - we don't know - but then you declare the plan that you don't know - a failure

I have no clue what you’re saying.

Hello all,

I've been a long time user of Insteon devices and have a sizable investment in switches, outlets, sensors, etc...just like many of you. From the beginning, I used my ISY994, the Insteon PLM, and MobiLinc for all of my HA setup and configuration. From what I'm reading, the Insteon cloud service has stopped working but I'm curious about is (with my current configuration) will everything continue to work as it did due to ISY being the "Smart" behind my smart home and MobiLinc being the end user interface?

We recently moved and I pulled all of my tech from the previous home. It's all sitting in boxes waiting for me to install, but if it's not going to work, then I'll have to explore other options. The next questions will be 1) Will ISY continue support / adoption of Insteon devices and 2) Will MobiLinc continue to interface with Insteon devices (which is actually talking to the ISY, but I'm not sure if there's something specific to the Insteon controls).

Thank You,

Tom

14 minutes ago, TLangham said:

Hello all,

I've been a long time user of Insteon devices and have a sizable investment in switches, outlets, sensors, etc...just like many of you. From the beginning, I used my ISY994, the Insteon PLM, and MobiLinc for all of my HA setup and configuration. From what I'm reading, the Insteon cloud service has stopped working but I'm curious about is (with my current configuration) will everything continue to work as it did due to ISY being the "Smart" behind my smart home and MobiLinc being the end user interface?

We recently moved and I pulled all of my tech from the previous home. It's all sitting in boxes waiting for me to install, but if it's not going to work, then I'll have to explore other options. The next questions will be 1) Will ISY continue support / adoption of Insteon devices and 2) Will MobiLinc continue to interface with Insteon devices (which is actually talking to the ISY, but I'm not sure if there's something specific to the Insteon controls).

Thank You,

Tom

Using a PLM and ISY you are not affected.   However the only place you can get additional product at this point is ebay.

While mobilinc still works it's stuck in a time warp with no new recent development.   You might want to check out UD mobile.

The cloud server shutdown only effects user of the Insteon Hub.

Archived