Recommendations RFID Tags/Reader Pet Friendly

Javi

Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations for RFID (or similar tech)  tags and reader compatible with ISY, or at least compatible with a contact sensor.

Background: 

I have a WiFi Dog Door (PowerPet Door) with which I have a love hate relationship. The physical operation of the door is fantastic, the collar sensors are horrible, and only work for a couple of months. There are many issues with the collars including cost, battery life, design, and damage. With multiple dogs the cost to replace collars has become too much. The Power Pet Door app is horrible and takes too long to connect, if it connects at all. 

Issues:

The collars are expensive at $50 and I have not had one last more than 4 months before it is physically broken by the dog or simply stops working. I purchased extra collars when there is a sale, but about 3 in 10 are DOA or die within a couple of days. While the batteries are standard there is a sticker used to route the contacts, and the company charges $8 for a battery that is worth less than $1.  The electronic device on the collar does not have a standard collar connection, and is almost impossible to modify so the dogs have to wear multiple collars.  I had the non-wifi version of the door for years before upgrading to the Wifi version, so I have likely spent more than the cost of the door in replacement collars.  There is no open api for the door but the commands have been sniffed and I can issue commands from ISY Network Resources, so I would like a way for the ISY to manage the door operation. At some point I may build a node server if there is enough interest.   

Possible Solutions:

I am looking into waterproof passive RFID tags for the dogs (something like this) that would attach to a standard dog collar, or even the RFID animal ID chip.   The issue is finding a sensor/reader which will work when the dogs are next to the door.  The closest thing I have found, that I think may work, is this device with some sort of contact sensor.  This feels like overkill as I do not need any mechanical operations or bulk associated with the mechanical operations.

Does anyone have recommendations for an RFID tag reader or similar tech which will work in this situation?

not going to be a lot of help here - but all the rfid sensors i have seen are not powered and you have to be VERY close to the reader - i don't know of any occupancy sensors that do anything but sense ANYTHING moving - cisco does facial recognition with their cameras - none of that helps

but it is an interesting application - those collars are 'ultrasonic' it looks like - only thing that comes to mind is adapting some kind of 'invisible fence' hardware 

Thanks @RPerrault,  I was also worried about distance but seen this pet door which appears to read the Pet Microchips as the key to unlock the door, unfortunately my dogs are large so that model will not work.  

The collars are ultrasonic,  but with a high failure rate of batteries/collars I would like to find a similar passive solution, especially with the chance a dog may get stuck outside in the winter if the electronic collar fails.  However with your suggestion about adapting other hardware, I wonder if another manufacturer has an ultrasonic collar which is compatible and lasts longer.

@MrBill, thanks I did a quick search an the readers appear to be very expensive, but provides hope as  proof of concept. With some research maybe I can find a lower cost unit.  Even if its a few hundred dollars it will be cheaper than replacing the current collars every couple of months. 

@Javi not exactly fitting with the door you have, but here's a product from MyQ for a whole new door system..

https://www.myq.com/pet-portal

Seems that it at least allows you to use a more generic RFID tag on a common collar rather than proprietary collars that you're currently using.

Might be overkill and might not fit your situation, but worth looking at the technology they offer if they ever offer in a wall insert. 

Good luck finding something! I'm sure it can be costly to keep replacing collars and in some areas good to have the door only open for your pets. 

Archived