Where do you get your Insteon 2477D?

I have several dimmer switches around my house connected to my ISY994. This has worked for me for several years without any issue. Previously I was on X10 which I converted to Insteon.  Now Insteon dimmer switches are hard to find. They used to be sold at $40-$50 each, now they are $80-$100, ridiculous. Where do you get yours? Have you replaced them, if so what technology?

I am wondering the same thing.  I have a house full of Insteon and we’re moving to a new place.  Do I leave Insteon behind and go with something different (Z Wave?).  Or do I take the aging Insteon with me and pay the high prices, if even available, to replace when they go bad.

@slimypizza Just my two cents. But I'd pull it out and take it with you. z-wave is currently not as user friendly for setting up scenes, but my main reason for suggesting you take it with you is I've sold two homes with ISY's and Insteon installed. Both times I had issues with first the realtor and then the buyer. One even tried to sue me for unlimited support at not charge.

While replacement devices are not currently available, I have faith someone will resurrect and improve on what Smarthomes started. Otherwise it's gonna be a combination z-wave, zigbee, and a hodgepodge of wi-fi devices to achieve the results you have with Insteon now.

30 minutes ago, kzboray said:

@slimypizza Just my two cents. But I'd pull it out and take it with you. z-wave is currently not as user friendly for setting up scenes, but my main reason for suggesting you take it with you is I've sold two homes with ISY's and Insteon installed. Both times I had issues with first the realtor and then the buyer. One even tried to sue me for unlimited support at not charge.

While replacement devices are not currently available, I have faith someone will resurrect and improve on what Smarthomes started. Otherwise it's gonna be a combination z-wave, zigbee, and a hodgepodge of wi-fi devices to achieve the results you have with Insteon now.

i yanked it when i sold

thought it would be a minus - one reason is that i use a ton of etched button keypads - 'sofa lamp' would be a problem if they had a futon, settee, divan  instead or a beer keg sitting by that outlet

Thanks all.

I think that is what I'll do.  Just go through and pull out the Insteon and put in regular switches.  We move in 3 weeks.  I'd better start soon. It's a pain but after thinking about it, why leave behind expensive equipment I may wish I had after getting squared away.  I wish a had a clear path to outfit the new place but as others have said, it will be a hodgepodge for a bit but hopefully someone will pick up the ball that Smarthome dropped.  I'll take a look at Zooz and Aeotec and other manufacturers to see what's the best fit for me.  I have a ISY994i and considering upgrading to IoP soon but not yet. I just want to establish the same level of automation in the new place as quickly as possible that we had in what will soon be the old house.

@kzboray you got sued?  Not good.

23 hours ago, slimypizza said:

Thanks all.

I think that is what I'll do.  Just go through and pull out the Insteon and put in regular switches.  We move in 3 weeks.  I'd better start soon. It's a pain but after thinking about it, why leave behind expensive equipment I may wish I had after getting squared away.  I wish a had a clear path to outfit the new place but as others have said, it will be a hodgepodge for a bit but hopefully someone will pick up the ball that Smarthome dropped.  I'll take a look at Zooz and Aeotec and other manufacturers to see what's the best fit for me.  I have a ISY994i and considering upgrading to IoP soon but not yet. I just want to establish the same level of automation in the new place as quickly as possible that we had in what will soon be the old house.

@kzboray you got sued?  Not good.

That is what I would do.  Unlikely that the home automation will have any affect on the sale price in a positive way.  Once you pull them, you can sell them for that $80-100 each or install them in your new house and hope they don't die or that Insteon gets resurrected under new ownership.  I suspect the latter will happen.

Archived