Is there any known app to configure Insteon Cams for wifi?

raymondjiii

I only used the Insteon original iPhone app to configure the wifi on the Insteon cams.

- Hard reset the cam.

- Plug in power with Ethernet cable attached

- Run the original Insteon app since the "better app" (using that term lightly) has no cam support

- Add the cam and then run through the steps so that it will connect to wifi (This is the part I don't have.)

(From this point I use either Owlr or Synology Surveilance...never the Insteon iPhone app.)

I do have an old MacBook Pro that can still run the Insteon Cam firware updater - if I get one that is not up to latest.

I only use these Insteon cams when they come my way - they are not my favorite but the HD model is still pretty decent.

Thanks

10 hours ago, raymondjiii said:

I only used the Insteon original iPhone app to configure the wifi on the Insteon cams.

- Hard reset the cam.

- Plug in power with Ethernet cable attached

- Run the original Insteon app since the "better app" (using that term lightly) has no cam support

- Add the cam and then run through the steps so that it will connect to wifi (This is the part I don't have.)

(From this point I use either Owlr or Synology Surveilance...never the Insteon iPhone app.)

I do have an old MacBook Pro that can still run the Insteon Cam firware updater - if I get one that is not up to latest.

I only use these Insteon cams when they come my way - they are not my favorite but the HD model is still pretty decent.

Thanks

You can try ipcam viewer

14 hours ago, oberkc said:

I recall some saying that these may have been re-branded Foscam cameras.  Have you tried accessing them locally, using their IP address?

Yes, a number of people have said that they were Foscam rebranded. But interestingly, there was this one person who claimed that he spoke to Foscam directly and they stated that they did not make the guts for the Insteon cams. Who knows, maybe this Foscam person thought he had a clue but really didn't - I see that every day. Within Synology Surveillance I can add them as the appropriately mapped Foscam model and they work just fine. But I can also choose "generic cam" from the list and they also seem to work just as well. But again, I had already configured their wifi addresses via the old Insteon app.

One theory is that Foscam is using some common (Chinese perhaps) low level parts and that many cam companies use the same thing.

One guy has mapped out the Insteon models: LD, HD, indoor, outdoor to a particular Foscam model and I just follow his table. (But again, I had already configured their wifi settings.)

There is this for anyone who might have the same problem:

https://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2864app-windows.zip

You can download via this direct link but if you go through the Insteon page - even though it gives that URL which you can access directly - it won't take you there.

Change "windows" to "osx" for the Mac version - but you need a Mac with a very old OS version installed. I'm curious if the windows version will run on anything new - I'm guessing you will need Windows XP. I'm going to ask my kids if they can try running this app on their latest and greatest Windows machines.

Archived