Failed to add device, reason 3 - tried many times

I am trying to re-link an on/off outlet v.44 that has been in use for many years but lost a connection to the ISY. When I use New Insteon Device and try auto discover or when I select the Insteon [2.39]  [2663-222] , 41.8D.21 I get Failed to add device, reason 3.  I am using UI and firmware 5.1.0     The PLM is not plugged into a power strip.

Sun 05/01/2022 05:23:57 PM : [41 8D 21    ] Added to list of devices to link to ISY

Sun 05/01/2022 05:24:04 PM : [     ZW002_1]  CLITEMP 942 (uom=17 prec=1)

Sun 05/01/2022 05:24:19 PM : [41 8D 21 0  ] Failed to add device, reason 3

The outlet is probably dead.  You don't ever lose a connection in that the linking goes bad and needs to be re-linked.  If only the connection is lost, it is a com problem and will not need to be relinked, it will just work whenever the com problem goes away (something making a lot of power line noise).  If you are not having com problems with anything else, then the switch is likely dead.  You could always try a factory reset on it, and then restore it from ISY.  Unless you deleted it from ISY, there is no reason to relink it.  If you deleted it from ISY, then factory reset, and relink it.  If a factory reset fixes it, then it is likely mostly dead and will probably not continue to work for long.  With Insteon, mostly dead is not like in the movie Princess Bride, mostly dead for Insteon is not so easily reversed.  Unless it is bad capacitors, in which case you can replace them.

I am not having com problems with anything else.

I did indeed delete it from ISY.

The switch is not dead because it operates via a mini remote keypad or a wall keypad.

I am trying to avoid a factory reset on it and relinking so I figured someone may have some ideas. Thanks for your advice!

A factory reset of the switch, and then a RESTORE from the ISY admin app is pretty banal and routine. I've done it many times over the years. If the switch is fully working, and just got scrambled for some reason, it should restore all of its previous functioning.

If not, well time for a replacement of some sort. Unfortunately, all of our Insteon devices will eventually crump, and now there are no direct replacements.

* Orest

9 hours ago, matt.york said:

I did indeed delete it from ISY.

Probably should not have done that.  Assuming you had created the scenes in ISY that link that outlet to the other devices in your house, upon deleting it from ISY, ISY would have removed it from those scenes and thus removed the links on the other devices that tie the outlet to those devices.  So, in short, those devices should not be able to control the outlet.  (Except for any battery operated devices because they do not automatically have links removed since battery devices sleep and require manually waking them to let ISY remove links.)  But you say those other devices still control the outlet.  So something isn't adding up here.

I still say your outlet is mostly dead.  

Archived