20+ devices no longer communicating -- help troubleshooting

blartyo

I've been successfully my Insteon 99ipro since it came out a few years ago. MY PLM was purchased at the same time.

Within the past day or so, we've been having trouble with our system and I'm looking for some help to troubleshoot.

All of a sudden many devices are responding very slowly or not at all. I unplugged, then replugged the PLM and am finding that about 20-25 devices generate an error message "Cannot Communicate With xxxdevice Please check connections" from the software interface. On some devices, the LED's go up and down as if the light is being turned on/off, but they no longer control the light.

I'm using version 2.7.6 and have the networking module installed. I've been using both of these without issue for a while now as well.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi blartyo,

Can you think of any electric devices that have been added to your environment recently? Also, it's quite possible that where your PLM plugged in has some devices that have become noisy (monitors, phone chargers, computers, etc.).

The first thing I recommend is - if possible - move your PLM to a different location. If that helps, then we will have to go back to the original location and figure out the cause of the noise.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the responses.

We did add a Sonos S5, but it was a few weeks before the problems began and it's not in the same room.

I will certainly move the PLM to troubleshoot, but since it is somewhat ensconced within my home entertainment setup -- before I do that, wanted to add some info:

A number of devices that weren't responding became available once again. However, many of our devices are still slow to control the light in question or do not control the light despite the LED on the device changing position.

In addition, I noticed that the LED on the PLM as well as my access points are always blinking -- as if there is constant network traffic among the Insteon devices. I don't recall them doing that before. In particular I thought the access points only blink when there is specific activity going on (e.g. device being turned off).

If the above suggests any other potential issue, let me know. Otherwise I'll follow your initial recommendation Michel.

Regards.

Thanks for the responses.

We did add a Sonos S5, but it was a few weeks before the problems began and it's not in the same room.

From what I know about the Sonos system, I wouldn't think it would be a noise generator (maybe an absorber). Nonetheless, it was a change to your system. Consider unplugging your amplifiers as a test.

I will certainly move the PLM to troubleshoot, but since it is somewhat ensconced within my home entertainment setup -- before I do that, wanted to add some info:

A number of devices that weren't responding became available once again. However, many of our devices are still slow to control the light in question or do not control the light despite the LED on the device changing position.

I haven't seen Insteon devices that change the LED without changing the attached load. It's possible that you have an Insteon device that is constantly broadcasting and is overwhelming your system (consuming all the bandwidth). Note that I have never experienced this. You can test by air-gapping units until the communication ceases. Note that airgapping some relay units does not actually remove power.

In addition, I noticed that the LED on the PLM as well as my access points are always blinking -- as if there is constant network traffic among the Insteon devices. I don't recall them doing that before. In particular I thought the access points only blink when there is specific activity going on (e.g. device being turned off).

Other options would include stuck X10 devices (not sure if you have any) or a powerful noise source.

If you have X10 devices and a repeater, start by disabling the repeater. This should "contain" the noise on one phase (phase coupling disabled). Begin troubleshooting that phase by inspection/popping breakers.

Noise sources could include photoelectric switches/triacs that are failing/oscillating. Oscillating noise sources can "mimic" X10 start codes and fool Insteon devices into thinking there is valid X10 traffic. Since your noise appears to be widespread, this would need to be a rather powerful source. It should be constrained to one phase of your system (unless you have a 220V resistive load activated). I have seen non-dimmable CFL's on dimmers do this, as well as CFL's on photocells.

Keep us posted,

IM

The LEDs blinking is noise or signal traffic on the power lines.

That could cause communications problems.

In event viewer level 3. Is there any data being received when no actual control of a device is being happening?

Do you use CFL bulbs in your home? If so try disconnecting them one at a time and see if things get better. Observing the LEDs maybe enough indication before a communications test. I have seen reports of CFL bulbs getting near their end of life. Generate all kinds of noise. Could also be a electronic device in the home that was fine originally and starting to get noisy.

Well I tried to check my event viewer tonight and unfortunately, it now appears the ISY unit is dead -- at least there is no power LED lit anymore and it does not respond from a browser.

The LED's on the PLM and access points are still flickering away though.

I've read through everyone's replies again and it looks like I can test (but haven't yet!) each of our CFL's before doing the air gap test. Since I don't even play an electrician on television -- is it not sufficient to shut off the switches controlling the CFL's or do they need to be removed from the sockets?

Also what are next steps on troubleshooting the ISY that does not respond?

Regards.

Hi blartyo,

I am so very sorry to hear this. If there are no power lights on ISY, then there's something very wrong. If you have an external power supply, you can try it just to make sure it's not the PLM. In most cases, the issue is the PLM's power supply circuitry which - again in most cases - goes bad after a power surge/failure.

You can also test using another PLM (if you have access to one).

And, as always, we'd be delighted to send you a replacement unit in case the problem is ISY. Please contact sales@universal-devices.com and request for an RMA.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived